Scotland in December

• Thread starter Deleted member 5608
  • Start date

Deleted member 5608

My wife’s away over Christmas and my spaniel and I are contemplating a trip! Last year we went south to the Dordogne to see if it was any warmer. (It wasn’t! But the trip was fun.). So this year, I’m not going to worry too much about temperatures, despite only having a pop-top van; we have an insulated topper and a good heater. And my thoughts are turning to Scotland.

I know and love bits of the west coast, but it’s a lot wetter than the east coast, which I don’t really know at all. I also wonder how much of the precipitation is likely to be in the form of snow rather than rain!

So I thought I’d ask if

* people think I’m mad and I should head for Cornwall instead (which would be warmer but just as likely to be wet!)?
* snow is likely to be a problem in places I might want to stay? I imagine the roads are kept reasonably clear in places that expect it like Aviemore and Glencoe :)
* it’s worth investing in some AutoSocks or similar? I have some ‘all-season’ tyres on the front but don’t have 4WD.
* anyone has good suggestions for places I should stay. I’ll probably mix some basic sites and wild camping with some better-equipped ones, if I can find them open. My little van doesn’t offer much in the way of facilitites!

Advice most welcome!

Having lived in Scotland for many years and enjoyed Motorhome traveling two places I would recommend are Ravons rock and Dog falls both in the highlands and both well worth visiting. Regarding the weather you may be lucky and get away with little snow but if you get caught as long as you have heating and food why worry? you may have problems finding camp sites open but just wild and enjoy.

I have been up the west coast every December since 2013 and only been snowed in for want of a better word once. I always leave home with full gas and water and loads of food so not a problem if I get snowed in for a day or two.
Apart from the short daylight I much prefer the winter up there as much less traffic and the scenery is stunning with snow on the mountains.
Fortunately I have friends on Syke so can empty waste and fill up with water which is convenient.
There is a few campsites open all year, have a look on the UK campsites website and use the filters to search for all year open campsites and plan your trip around their location.

To be negative !
Short days ..Next to No Solar
Long Nights
Water taps frozen.
Snow on roads = blocked
Campsites maybe zero
Less cold on Skye. But Water and waste x2 !
Not for me (obviously) but each to their own.

I much prefer touring Scotland in the winter, it’s very much quieter. Shouldn’t worry too much about snow, it’s quite infrequent on lower ground but worth being ready to stay put for a few days just in case.
There’s a Wildcamping gathering at the Green Frog at Moffat over Christmas.

I echo 2cv comments. We love motorhoming in Scotland in the winter - much better than in summer. Just make sure you keep gas and water topped up when you can.

Thanks all -

I've added some places to my 'Want to visit' list on Google Maps!

And the link to the Moffat event led me to discover the Wildcamping site (I'm new here), and I've now signed up for both sites.

Still wondering about snow socks... They're about 60 quid for my van, I think. A lot of money if never used, and well worth it if I get stuck :)

Im in the same situation. Im of work (missus isn't! LOL!!) so im of oop north again second week in December, first week Norfolk for seals. Lots of wild spots and unusually for me im on campsites as this time im busy photographing animals and fancy spoiling myself. Id recommend Red Squirrel campsite in Glencoe. Pretty cheap all you could want and no mozzies as its winter. Cracking pub/restaurant just along the road. The Glencoe ski centre also a great spot and a pub/café on site and sucha stunning place to walk. Red deer all around! The Glenmore Campite near Aviemore also a great site, cairghorm mountain railway (if its working) just up the road and again, top pub right next to it. Check out the wild Reindeer in snow if its snowing. Loads of wilding spots in Glencoe itself, check out the POI but make sure you keep the place tidy. Such a stunning view! Nothing better than getting a load of snow, warm hook up or wild gas and just chilling out hoping you get snowed in and cant get back home or to work.

The 2 Clubs have sites open all year. Also their CL's/ CS's, the small 5 van sites, are often open all year round. There's a lovely site on the south side of Loch Ness, Loch Ness Shores at Dores, open all year. The nearer you are to the west coast the less likely there will be snow, or snow that lies long, apart from roads that go high. You can always sit it out until the roads have been cleared, if necessary. Keep an eye on the Traffic Scotland website for road conditions and of course the weather forecast on Radio Scotland or the web.

The A9 to Aviemore and Inverness can be tricky if the weather changes suddenly as it goes very high through Drumochter, right in the middle of the Cairngorms. It can be sunny a few miles south and a blizzard at Drumochter, so plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time if the weather looks iffy. But we do have gritters, ploughs and blowers up here so the roads aren't shut for too long.

Another place to consider is Braemar, where the caravan site is open from early December and is well equipped for winter weather. Coming from the south you pass the ski centre, so again the road is kept open as far as possible. At a thousand feet Braemar can be one of the coldest places in the UK during a hard winter so prepare your winter woolies. The scenery and walks are stunning. And if the Queen's at home over Xmas you can pop along to Balmoral for afternoon tea.

Going to Green 🐸, and then further north, good to see I’ll not be alone then. This is going to be my first winter trip lasting more than a couple of days. Unusually for me. I’ve nothing actually planned. I’ve been accused of fretting and over planning, no idea what gives that impression, so this time it’s point the wheels north, and keep going.Tanks that should be full will be, those that need to be empty, ditto. What could go wrong ........ See you on the road

I'm currently on a small CL near a village called Auchtermuchty,the site is called The Clink,very dog friendly and step through the gate into the forest,basic facilities with EHU for £10 per night. I don't usually use campsites but I need to order a part for my truck so this is perfect for a few nights.
I'm intending to do the whole country over winter so I've got plenty of food and coal should I get snowed in along the way.

Make sure you have a weather app and take notice of any bad weather forecast and don't take chances or ignore warnings. The emergency services have enough to do. Other than that watch out for icy stretches in the glens where the sun doesn't get to. Yes invest in snow socks. But most of all, enjoy!
Drive safe
K ;)

I'm currently on a small CL near a village called Auchtermuchty,the site is called The Clink,very dog friendly and step through the gate into the forest,basic facilities with EHU for £10 per night. I don't usually use campsites but I need to order a part for my truck so this is perfect for a few nights.
I'm intending to do the whole country over winter so I've got plenty of food and coal should I get snowed in along the way.

I’ve stayed at the Clink. Great little place.

Please don't ignore the north east of Scotland, plenty quiet car parks, harbours and spots to stop for the night. If the weather is bad then there are quite a few sites open all year. Work your way around Aberdeenshire and Moray and if the forecast is good ahead over to the west, Ullapool is only about 80 miles from Inverness.

Weather in Aberdeenshire is usually much drier but colder so wrap up.

Please don't ignore the north east of Scotland, plenty quiet car parks, harbours and spots to stop for the night. If the weather is bad then there are quite a few sites open all year. Work your way around Aberdeenshire and Moray and if the forecast is good ahead over to the west, Ullapool is only about 80 miles from Inverness.

Weather in Aberdeenshire is usually much drier but colder so wrap up.

Fully agree with this post. A lot of really great scenery in NE Scotland with plenty of overnight stops including sites. Generally much nicer but colder weather than the west which is also fantastic.

Cruden Bay is a good example of a great stopover on the NE coast
K ;)

Reactions: 2cv
We lived near Huntly, Aberdeenshire, for some years. Some fine scenery, if not as grand as the west. Yes, it can be cold too, but much of the snow has gone with global warming. We were told that the Glens (of Foudland) was regularly impassible in winter and had huge drifts piled up at the roadside - we never saw it. And of course the NE is close to the Whisky Trail - if we do get a cold one hope you like ice in yours.

We used to always go up to the Isle of Arran for Christmas and New Year (not in the van) and it could be nice but equally you could have two days of storms and power cuts. I remember there being midges once on Christmas day when it was sunny and about 12c. I guess that was an exception.

Best winter trips we ever did was to the Lake District and one of the years was that really cold winter (2010 or 11 I think). That was just magical. Snow and frozen lakes, proper winter wonderland stuff and the good thing about the Lake District is the towns and villages were open so there was stuff going on but not packed like it is in the summer. Not sure I would venture up to the Highlands in the van though in mid winter but I would do the lakes again.

Still wondering about snow socks... They're about 60 quid for my van, I think. A lot of money if never used, and well worth it if I get stuck :)
Yes - but if the car park 100m from the road gets a few inches of snow and you do want to move - you can.
Much cheaper and easier than chains - a peace of mind purchase.
If you weren't going before Xmas I say a good present. Maybe you could ask for an early present and promise to only open in emergency 😀

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back