Scotland in December

• Thread starter Deleted member 5608
  • Start date
Thanks all - this is turning into a great thread and I'll certainly be taking it with me!

We had a great trip last summer - up to the Lakes, several days on a lovely small site, before pottering slowly up the coast. The road from Dunoon to Portavadie, and the ferry across to Tarbert, was a particular favourite of mine. We eventually stayed with friends near Arisaig, and then had to start heading east and southwards because we wanted to visit Lindisfarne and Bamburgh on the way back.

A journey that made me realise it was too long since I'd been in Scotland, and I'd seen too little of it. And also that I come back out of midge season :)

2018-07-18_11-04-56-13-Edit-900.jpg2018-07-16_16-42-46-12-900.jpg2018-07-16_17-29-51-12-Edit-900.jpg2018-07-14_12-03-12-23-900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Two winters ago in Jan-Feb we did a circuit following the east coast, then joining the NC500 route, breaking off through the Trossachs and heading over to see the lad and his wife in Currie. Round the east and north coast it was cool, -2 to +2C, but we had sunshine and wall to wall blues skies, meanwhile England and the Central Belt were getting a constant pasting with Atlantic storms.
Last year up through Dumfries and Galloway (wet), via Edinburgh, then up through Trossachs, over to Ullapool and made it as far as Inverbervie before medical matters sent us home. Marginal weather conditions, cold, snow, some roads the only things moving seemed to be us and snowploughs, they were doing a good job of keeping the roads open...just!
Previous year up the west coast and back via Glencoe.
We always take our chains and gene with us to guard against getting stuck or snowed in, but so far over three years never needed to use them.

This winter Jan-Feb thinking of including Bute and Mull of Kintyre. Has anyone any good suggestions for this area in winter, particularly WT and WC locations viable for filling and emptying in winter?

I really liked the grandly-named 'Ardfern Motorhome Park' - 10 small pitches with hookup, and a small shed containing one loo, one kitchen sink (and, much to my surprise, hot water in the sink!)

Lovely location, not far from where you're heading, and just down the road from the Craignish old ferry ramp pictured above. I'd certainly stay there again. Only been in summer, though.

Well, here I am, currently at Stonehaven, and looking at the weather forecast I’m wondering if it would be crazy to go south to England in January?

:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back