Scotland Itinerary Help

Suffy

Hi all,

Having taken advice from this site, we're contemplating the following itinerary... What do you think? Any advice appreciated.

1. Arrive in Stranraer for 9pm.
2. Arrive at Loch Lomond for 3.30pm.
4. Drive to Oban (arriving for 3pm)
5. Ferry to Mull (arriving 3pm)
7. Hop Tobermory to Kilchoan then drive and do the Glen Coe to Fort William Road.
9. Another overnight from Fort William heading South (not sure where).
10. Return home late.
11. Return Motorhome by 1000 :(

Does this look too busy?

Most days, driving is only an hour or two between places.

I'm planning on booking sites at Loch Lomond, Mull and the unknown return stop in advance.

The other places we will turn up and wild camp.

Any thoughts or advice is really welcome.

Point north and enjoy, still trying to get through to Mary Doll that you never know what is around the next corner and may be something of interest which would mess up the itinerary, i had no problems when me and the dug went away for a couple of weekends, no arguments and she thoroughly enjoyed every walk. " If you don't plan it, it can't go wrong!"😁

Hop Tobermory to Kilchoan then drive and do the Glen Coe to Fort William Road.
Just done the drive down from kilchoan and I think it will take you a lot longer than 2 hours. Most of the road you will be lucky to average more than 30mph as its single file with overtaking areas.

Three lakes Motorhome forest parking nr Lomond is a great place to overnight, book and pay online.
Calgary beach on mull is fab,
Arran is beautiful and quiet.
Enjoy

Hi all,

Having taken advice from this site, we're contemplating the following itinerary... What do you think? Any advice appreciated.

My advice is that it sounds a bit too much, but more important, it's far too much planning. Have a rough idea of what direction you're going, but be ready to amend that. Plan the next day if you must. But no more.
What's the point of having the freedom of a motorhome if you write a script for your trip?
You might find a place you love and stay several days, or the midges may drive you on at dawn.

Do a return crossing from Oban and stay on Mull longer would be my advice and miss out the Glen Coe bit. Iona is fantastic and the road from Tobermory to Calgary and around pas Ulva is brilliant. Take in the Sea Eagles and Otters and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Plenty of spots to park up overnight. The little spot near the Old Post Office at Lochbuie is worth the drive. The return from Oban via Inveraray is a nice drive.

Hi all,

1. Arrive in Stranraer for 9pm.
2. Arrive at Loch Lomond for 3.30pm.
4. Drive to Oban (arriving for 3pm)
5. Ferry to Mull (arriving 3pm)
7. Hop Tobermory to Kilchoan then drive and do the Glen Coe to Fort William Road.
9. Another overnight from Fort William heading South (not sure where).
10. Return home late.
11. Return Motorhome by 1000 :(

Does this look too busy?

Most days, driving is only an hour or two between places.

I'm planning on booking sites at Loch Lomond, Mull and the unknown return stop in advance.

The other places we will turn up and wild camp.

Having a strict itinerary will be more of a hindrance than a help. We much prefer to just point north and see what happens. This gives plenty of opportunity to explore spontaneously. We never book sites in advance and have never got stuck in 30 years.

Having a strict itinerary will be more of a hindrance than a help. We much prefer to just point north and see what happens. This gives plenty of opportunity to explore spontaneously. We never book sites in advance and have never got stuck in 30 years.
Things may not be as easy this year. The chaos of last summer has meant that places which were fine in the past are no go areas this year. Some places which were free are now chargeable.

Three lakes Motorhome forest parking nr Lomond is a great place to overnight, book and pay online.
Calgary beach on mull is fab,
Arran is beautiful and quiet.
Enjoy
I’ll second all that. Sampling gin at the bakers on arran was a lasting memory too!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back