Scotland still sets the example

Lanky66

Just finishing a 1200 mile trip around Scotland. October and November a brilliant time to do this; fewer tourists around, stunning autumn colours. Also fewer campsites open but that’s no problem here. We spent 25 nights on a mixture of wild camping sites, Britstops and campsites when needing to service the van. England could learn a lot from their northern neighbours by following their attitude to wild camping. Both could learn from our continental friends by looking at developing aires. Local communities would benefit from expenditure in their areas and Motorhomers could make more use of their vans, provided always we don’t upset the locals by leaving any evidence of our presence

Just finishing a 1200 mile trip around Scotland. October and November a brilliant time to do this; fewer tourists around, stunning autumn colours. Also fewer campsites open but that’s no problem here.
Agreed. Don't know if you've been to the Community run site in Ballater? Lovely site and town and you can always pop along to see queenie for a nice cuppa of an afternoon or the Cambus o'May cheese shop and cafe, and cycle along the Deeside Way.

AutumnColours.JPG

Do travel a fair bit in England and find it ok . Like Scotland some councils are changing their tune .
Think off season places could be developed more .
Understand we , arguably , could be a problem in some places at peak times
Many of us prefer to travel at this time and our custom is welcomed by pubs , cafes etc
Easing restrictions seasonally would make a lot of sense .

Just finishing a 1200 mile trip around Scotland. October and November a brilliant time to do this; fewer tourists around, stunning autumn colours. Also fewer campsites open but that’s no problem here. We spent 25 nights on a mixture of wild camping sites, Britstops and campsites when needing to service the van. England could learn a lot from their northern neighbours by following their attitude to wild camping. Both could learn from our continental friends by looking at developing aires. Local communities would benefit from expenditure in their areas and Motorhomers could make more use of their vans, provided always we don’t upset the locals by leaving any evidence of our presence
Hi,
Sounds interesting.
How do you normally plan your travel?
I have a lot of places to travel to with a motorhome when I get one but what is delaying me is how to plan the journey like where to stop to maintain the motorhome, overnight, etc.
Any suggestions?
Thank you

IMG_20210901_152635_HDR.jpgBurn O Vat National Nature Reserve Visitor Centre, about 20 miles west Of Ballater, allows 1 overnight stop. Chemical Disposal Point, Water Tap, Toilets open 24 hours a day with H&C water, and an invitation to take hot water for washing up ['just be sensible with it'] in return for an Honesty Box donation [coin shaped slot suggests they're not looking for a fortune]. We arrived late in the season, so, whilst the Car Park was busy during the day, we almost had the place to ourselves at night. There's forest walks, hikes around the lake, the Falls themselves. plenty of walking/climbing; so we did a'pretty please?' and were allowed to stay a 2nd night. £10 donation to the Honesty Box was excellent value for money! Th only downside is that the Parking Bays are separated by old railway sleepers and the m/home rear tyres rub gently on the tyre walls when reversing in.

SteveIMG_20210902_105839_HDR.jpgIMG_20210902_105911_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Worth remembering wild camping i.e in a tent which is generally allowed is very different to overnight sleeping in a vehicle which afaik, is no more allowed in Scotland than it is in any other part of the UK.

Its just that in many cases there's a lower chance of being, got at or worse attacked or moved on plus there's a heck of a lot more places where you are allowed to sleep in vehicles overnight such as the excellent Scottish forestry commission scheme which we used extensively last year.

During my admittedly brief time on the road I have actually had more problems at camp sites then I ever have finding a quiet park up, to the point now If I book in advance e.g. via Pitchup.com I never pay in advance for sites that way if they are full or just plain grim I can drive in and then straight back out again!

Worth remembering wild camping i.e in a tent which is generally allowed is very different to overnight sleeping in a vehicle which afaik, is no more allowed in Scotland than it is in any other part of the UK.

Its just that in many cases there's a lower chance of being, got at or worse attacked or moved on plus there's a heck of a lot more places where you are allowed to sleep in vehicles overnight such as the excellent Scottish forestry commission scheme which we used extensively last year.

During my admittedly brief time on the road I have actually had more problems at camp sites then I ever have finding a quiet park up, to the point now If I book in advance e.g. via Pitchup.com I never pay in advance for sites that way if they are full or just plain grim I can drive in and then straight back out again!
Scotland 'opened up' 14 days after England in 2021 but there was a loophole in the Scottish legislation that did specifically refer to motorhomes during the period when people could travel, but were still forbidden from staying overnight. Police Scotland issued a statement indicating that Officers would not be arresting/cautioning/moving people on provided that the vehicles were parked legally, were not causing obstruction, and were not littering the area i.e. observing the protocols of wild camping was absolutely fine

Steve

Hi, I am hoping to do the scotish 500 in may any camping spots would be welcome, Great photos.Peter.

Hmm… there’s so much more to Scotland than the “Normally Crowded 500” May is into the getting busy and campsites becoming blooming expensive territory so then would be on my probably the wrong time to go list. Out of season i.e. September to first week in Aprils always been my preferred time for that part of the country In recent years.

Mid season we tend to keep East or go up the centre.

it was so much quieter up there 30+ years ago.
Who remembers company cars no bik and free fuel cards 😀

Hmm… there’s so much more to Scotland than the “Normally Crowded 500” May is into the getting busy and campsites becoming blooming expensive territory so then would be on my probably the wrong time to go list. Out of season i.e. September to first week in Aprils always been my preferred time for that part of the country In recent years.

Mid season we tend to keep East or go up the centre.

it was so much quieter up there 30+ years ago.
Who remembers company cars no bik and free fuel cards 😀
Thank you may go september.Peter.

Hi,
Sounds interesting.
How do you normally plan your travel?
I have a lot of places to travel to with a motorhome when I get one but what is delaying me is how to plan the journey like where to stop to maintain the motorhome, overnight, etc.
Any suggestions?
Thank you
Facebook pages and internet groups like this one often have a group map identifying recommended locations
Internet sites such as Pitchup or Search4Sites
Clubs which have Club Sites and 5-van sites and temporary holiday sites, for members - you get a book and a map when you join eg Camping and Caravanning Club or Caravan and Motorhome Club (these are the two big clubs)
BritStops
Or do an internet search based on the name of the area + campsite (remembering that some may be tent-only so read carefully)
Then to get your confidence you may want to book all your nights in advance on official sites. Or you may prefer to 'wing it' and hope to make arrangements as you go.

Just had 11 wonderful days, travelling up the scenic route of the south west coast of the Lowlands, from Gretna to Ayr.
Every night stop had a fabulous view, using Our Wildcamping POI'S.
Free Scotish National forest stops with info to the nearest chemical toilet dumps.
Local councils advertise MH overnight parking in dedicated bays, free at the moment but £5 charge will be introduced peak season.
Only problem was lack of LPG fill garages, fortunately had filled up before setting off but LPG garages are few and far between.
Probably not the spectacular scenery of the Highlands but more than made up by the quiet isolation.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back