Scottish Food ....

wildebus

No, not haggis or even deep-fried Mars Bars but this ....

Coloured Cheese? So take your typical cheddar cheese, and colour it so it is a bright orange.
Well Fired Rolls? Cook your rolls in the normal way until nicely done, then leave them in until the tops are cremated. Well Fired? Burnt!

Not unusual foods up here and found in every food store. But why? Why do Scots folk seem to want to eat brightly coloured cheers and burnt bread?
Anyone here seek these out and eat them?

I have the cheese (the OH is partial to ANY cheese and does alway pick out the orange gear) but the burnt rolls are just a step too far even for a weegie.

Oh .. another one that just came to mind and don't think I've seen south of the Border ... Empire Biscuits. Quite nice but a bit dry and crumbly (at least the ones I've had).

Deep Fried pizza. Scottish pride plain breed square sausage wae black pudding in the middle. Or are you a Carmel log or a Carmel wafer man noo that’s a hard choice.

I reckon the only people who eat the deep fried crap are the tourists so they feel 'Scottish'

No, not haggis or even deep-fried Mars Bars but this ....

Coloured Cheese? So take your typical cheddar cheese, and colour it so it is a bright orange.
Well Fired Rolls? Cook your rolls in the normal way until nicely done, then leave them in until the tops are cremated. Well Fired? Burnt!

Not unusual foods up here and found in every food store. But why? Why do Scots folk seem to want to eat brightly coloured cheers and burnt bread?
Anyone here seek these out and eat them?
Well hey ho, not sure what "brightly coloured cheers" is but always thought that Cheddar, and my favourite, Leicester, were English and needed some colour added! Another favourite is Lancashire which, of course, is uncoloured
Like Wullie, I believe there is nothing finer than a well fired roll. Not sure about cheese and jam though, but my Perthshire born mother used to have jam on cheese on toast!
Anyway, I think we'll carry on eating what we like, and not take advice from someone who knows that Airfix used to make combs!! ???

Who's giving advice?
You keep on eating burnt rolls made by people who don't know how to work an oven , and I'll crack open a beer provided courtesy of knowing the background of an Iconic British Company (founded by an Hungarian btw)

I like fresh morning rolls with lashings of butter when up there. We always used to have to hunt out butter drops for step mother whenever we were in Scotland as well, never seen them in England and no idea if they still exist. They were the size and shape of mint imperials but a golden yellow colour and very nice (not mints just hard sweets).

Who's giving advice?
You keep on eating burnt rolls made by people who don't know how to work an oven , and I'll crack open a beer provided courtesy of knowing the background of an Iconic British Company (founded by an Hungarian btw)
They are not burnt rolls, and certainly not a mistake, they are left in the oven just a bit longer for people like Wullie and me!
Oh, glad you are at least enjoying our Scottish beer!!
And I forgot to mention that there will be a handicap system at the next quiz!

I like fresh morning rolls with lashings of butter when up there. We always used to have to hunt out butter drops for step mother whenever we were in Scotland as well, never seen them in England and no idea if they still exist. They were the size and shape of mint imperials but a golden yellow colour and very nice (not mints just hard sweets).
Moira says that Lakeland have a product called butter buds which sounds similar.
We don't remember hearing of butter drops.
Why not just use a wee teaspoon?!!

They are not burnt rolls, and certainly not a mistake, they are left in the oven just a bit longer for people like Wullie and me!
Oh, glad you are at least enjoying our Scottish beer!!
And I forgot to mention that there will be a handicap system at the next quiz!
What will that be? if you know the answer it doesn't count :D

if i could buy a roll like that within 10 miles of here , i'd be first in the queue - looks gorgeous !
cheese looks ok too

OK, lets's see who is a Weegie by Taste and who is a Edinburger....

Chip Butty (on a Well-Fired roll of course ;) ) ....

Butty!
by David, on Flickr

Do you have Red Sauce (Ketchup for the English) or Brown Sauce?

I live near Edinburgh and am amazed that anyone ever buys these well fired (burnt) rolls. They make the gaps in your teeth all black so you look like the abundance of jakeys we have up here. Maybe folk eat them to empathize with the wee oxygen thieving soap dodgers. When turnips were imported from Holland you English fed them to your cattle while up here they formed part of our staple diet along with tatties, haggis and porridge. No wonder we drink.

The English way of making food good is no better it’s stick anything in a jar wae some vinegar call it pickled or preserve seen some weird stuff in jars. And what’s jelly eels all about went too a place in London got pie and mash the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tried too eat but there’s a saving grace too the pie thing it’s the king pork pie ain’t that right ken.

601BC799-50FB-4446-85AD-600C864232AF.jpeg

I aim to make normal rolls.
Then I fall asleep (as with King Arthur)
So they end up burnt..
Presumably most people who live in Burntisland overcook things.

How do you like your "Steak Tartare"...Well done please !

AND
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-46500570

I suggest not a "Health Food Establishment"
Mine is a Mars bar please !
Pollocks to that !
That's an idea .... "Deep Fried Steak Tatare" :) I am sure it is doable just the same as Baked Alaska is.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back