Scottish National Trust.

You lot are just a load of tight wads joining SNT and living in England just to save a few bob.
I belong to the English NT not just to visit the properties but to ensure that they continue to be able to fund themselves, they are a charity after all.
The way the NT works is that the more visitors they get to a property the more funds they get which makes sense to enable better control and facilities to be provided.
Not being able to log a SNT card into the system means that the visitor is not recorded so although you may get in cheaper the property looses funds.

Cheap skates.

Last time I looked, the Scottish NT are £42 a year cheaper than NT for a joint membership where one partner is 60 or over. The NT don’t even give a discount unless you have been a member for 5 years. If that’s a few bob then you clearly have too much disposable income. ??

English NT won't get you into Stonehenge either - it's English Heritage! Some of the land surrounding it is National Trust, but not the monument and visitor centre.
SNT membership will get you into any English National Trust property.

You are incorrect. The English Heritage Stonehenge website says "Free visits are applicable to English Heritage members and members of the National Trust in England or those who hold a National Trust Touring Pass only - this does not include National Trust Scotland, National Trust staff or other National Trust affiliated organisations."

You are correct, but NT members just can't turn up. It is necessary to book in advance because of the timed ticket system.

Gone are the days when people could simply roll up and wander between the stones on their own.

You make that sound as if it is just NT members who must book in advance, what it actually says is

"Entrance to Stonehenge is now managed through timed tickets and advance booking is the only way to guarantee entry on the day and time of your choice. By booking in advance you will also benefit from an advanced booking discount.

English Heritage and National Trust members must also book in advance for their FREE visit."

Val54 Last time I looked, the Scottish NT are £42 a year cheaper than NT for a joint membership where one partner is 60 or over. The NT don’t even give a discount unless you have been a member for 5 years. If that’s a few bob then you clearly have too much disposable income. ??

Very little disposable income, what I have the kids take but I like to do the right thing not being a freeloader.

You lot are just a load of tight wads joining SNT and living in England just to save a few bob.
I belong to the English NT not just to visit the properties but to ensure that they continue to be able to fund themselves, they are a charity after all.
The way the NT works is that the more visitors they get to a property the more funds they get which makes sense to enable better control and facilities to be provided.
Not being able to log a SNT card into the system means that the visitor is not recorded so although you may get in cheaper the property looses funds.

Cheap skates.

I don’t think that this forum would continue if there were only free members.

Can the Scottish National Trust membership be used in England. If so do you get all of the same benefits as the English National Trust membership.
ie. Free parking at Trust sites.
Yes it can. I asked when joining if this was possible and they said yes

We joined the SNT last week, and we live in England.
Some may think we are skinflints, but we would not have joined the ENT, because of the price, so no-one would have got any money.
This way we are still supporting the National Trust monetarily, but not so much. :) Well it sounds like a good excuse to me.

The NTS needs money for the upkeep of its properties in Scotland. Since we have so many more interesting places up here and many fewer people we are happy to take your money.

Excuse me Matchlock doesn’t it say Free Member under your user name?

I was invited to join Motorhomer, no mention was made at that time as to monitory payment, I presume the Full Members belong to the wildies which I am not a member of and unlikly to be, but I do enjoy reading this free forum, I suppose at some point I will be asked for money which if I find reasonable I will pay.

I was invited to join Motorhomer, no mention was made at that time as to monitory payment, I presume the Full Members belong to the wildies which I am not a member of and unlikly to be, but I do enjoy reading this free forum, I suppose at some point I will be asked for money which if I find reasonable I will pay.

I don’t think that you will ever be asked to pay for Motorhomer. I know that Phil treats this as a community and most members of that community choose to pay a small contribution to it’s running costs by becoming full members. The software and servers are a cost, Phil provides excellent support, there are very regular raffles using credits gained by posting and the discounts available can easily save the full aubscription cost.
If you choose to remain a free member that is up to you, but it is a bit ironic that a free member should use the forum to call those who choose to contribute to it “cheap skates”.
Maybe this link is handy

I don’t think that you will ever be asked to pay for Motorhomer. I know that Phil treats this as a community and most members of that community choose to pay a small contribution to it’s running costs by becoming full members. The software and servers are a cost, Phil provides excellent support, there are very regular raffles using credits gained by posting and the discounts available can easily save the full aubscription cost.
If you choose to remain a free member that is up to you, but it is a bit ironic that a free member should use the forum to call those who choose to contribute to it “cheap skates”.
Maybe this link is handy

I will be happy to pay a contribution to the forum as I do a quick scan of many forums and had not noticed the become a full member tab.
As I do not need the full Wildcampers membership, SHMBO does not do wildcamping apart from shows so I would not be able to do that but I am happy to contribute to the lesser membership.

Reactions: 2cv
2 yrs ago we went into Stonehenge on our English NT cards - no probs

did the coach ride to the museum too - the whole experience was quite dismal altogether . if i'd paid for it i'd have been heartbroken

I will be happy to pay a contribution to the forum as I do a quick scan of many forums and had not noticed the become a full member tab.
As I do not need the full Wildcampers membership, SHMBO does not do wildcamping apart from shows so I would not be able to do that but I am happy to contribute to the lesser membership.

Great to see that you’ve chosen to join as full. I think that in time you will find that this is a very generous community. Just an example is how Charity almost always wins in the monthly raffle, so members must be very generous in the donation of their reward points.

I will be happy to pay a contribution to the forum as I do a quick scan of many forums and had not noticed the become a full member tab.....,...............
Well done Flint.?
I see you are now a Full Member too. Quite painless really. ?

We are members of Scottish N. T. Based in N. Ireland. There are not many National Trust properties here to provide variety so I am unlikely to get value from membership and yet the day prices are horrendous, with gift aid added and option not to pay this in the small print.
They expect people to have 5 years ordinary membership before granting concessions for age.
I cannot speak for Great Britain, but here in Northern Ireland they are infamous for taking over land and then excluding people, deceiving people into paying for entry into the Giants Causeway when access to the stones is free. Charging for the number of people in a car at the carpark rather than the car. Putting a family business off the site after they had been there for generations when their lease ran out. Google Giants Causeway to see the uproar they cause.
At least one section of a coastal path was closed by the land owner was being dictated to by the nt. Their politics also questionable, expecting volunteers to wear badges in support of ways of life which many disagree with. Disclosing the private life’s of people who donated property against the family wishes.
I expect, when visiting something historic, to see it as it was in its heyday, with regard to the way of life at that time, warts and all.
They have become typical of many large charities in being businesses whose point increasingly seems to be that they exist to pay their staff (sometimes at exorbitant salaries) and be self perpetuating and inward looking, whilst being carried by volunteers who give huge amounts of time to something they obviously get a lot of pleasure from.

Anyway I probably, here in the North East of Ireland, am regarded as UlsterScots, so SNT is more appropriate.

Davy

True about causeway,i will never pay,anyway us ulster scots do squeak a tad when we walk,not that we are tight,just careful. (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back