Sell or keep

Dahlia duo

Free Member

Hello
Partner and I just been chatting about our motorhome wondering if we should change it now while I am still working or keep it.
I have seven years to go before retiring and our motorhome is on a 04 plate with under 40’000 on the clock. It’s a kon tiki with a u shape lounge with over top bunk which we use to sleep. If you were in our position what would you do, and what would you change to ??
Mark

If you still like your motorhome and it is not giving you any problems then why change it ?
We had no intention of changing our last motorhome and only did so because we came across our present motorhome which ticked a few more boxes for us, but we didn’t go looking for it, it just happened

Hi Helen
Thanks for your reply it's just all the unknowns we're thinking about, such as do we go over to petrol as we cannot enter London now. Would it be better to get something under 3.5 tons as ours is over this. It has taken 3 vans to find out the best layout for us,

Having a similar dilemma. Ours is 19 years old, but the habitation side of things is ok. Had some repairs to do but parts are still available. Getting parts for the vehicle is my worry as original parts are no longer available from fiat. Buut....is it better the devil you know. Quite easy to buy someone else's problems, unless buying new, which isn't an option and still doesn't guarantee problem free travel.

Keep the van! The money you have to spend on a new van will let you retire early, I had a cancer scare and retired 14 years early, none of us know what’s round the corner just get out and live the life, our budget is £36 a day and wow in 18 months on the road we’ve been to some amazing places

Keep for now.
Save up and change for a newer under 3500kg in due course
maybe 5 years time.
when retired travelling abroad more under 3500kg is so much simpler
Just my thoughts

Keep the van! The money you have to spend on a new van will let you retire early, I had a cancer scare and retired 14 years early, none of us know what’s round the corner just get out and live the life, our budget is £36 a day and wow in 18 months on the road we’ve been to some amazing places

Hi Andy

We are just sorting out our budget for early retirement and you say you have a budget of £36 a day , does this include your fuel allowance ? or do you have a separate budget for that . Cheers

We use about £1100 a month all summer !
That includes Gas Diesel Camping Food and Ferries/tunnel/Tolls ie daily running costs.
It does not include
Tax, Insurance, MOT/Service/Repairs//Tyres......I keep a "Budget account" for these items and put £150 a month into it and delve into it as and when.
I ignore depreciation !

Hi Andy

We are just sorting out our budget for early retirement and you say you have a budget of £36 a day , does this include your fuel allowance ? or do you have a separate budget for that . Cheers

That’s everything it includes vet bills and paying our accountant for tax returns etc
We managed five months in norway, we wildcamping all the time don’t do many miles each day andvthats us

Keep the van and keep out of London.
We had a Swift with U shaped lounge. It was 21 years old and utterly reliable.
We only sold it when we had the opportunity ( and funds) to buy a new van and registering a 21 year old British built motorhome , in France, was going to be a challenge.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back