Sensible parking?

St3v3

We turned up at a pub at around 1730 on Friday. Notice this parked across 4+ spaces.

20190322_181639.jpg

It's peak time, and the car park is already filling up, so I parked here:
20190322_182209.jpg

I was the only one there at the time, and Louise spotted the guys in the other MH were inside. They walked off as I was setting up and then didn't spot them for the rest of the night. Some more of the carpark at around 1800, so still expected to be busier.
20190322_181610.jpg
20190322_181617.jpg

Am I being over sensitive or will parking like that just pi55 people off?

Maybe over sensitive. It looks set for the night so probably there with the agreement of the pub. There still appear to be car parking spaces available and the van appears to be on the edge of the car park.
It can be that taking many car park spaces like this will cause resentment, but usually when it means no other spaces remaining or the “best” places taken. On this occasion the photos suggest this is not the case.

Maybe over sensitive. It looks set for the night so probably there with the agreement of the pub. There still appear to be car parking spaces available and the van appears to be on the edge of the car park.
It can be that taking many car park spaces like this will cause resentment, but usually when it means no other spaces remaining or the “best” places taken. On this occasion the photos suggest this is not the case.
I can assure you that this is where the owner was told to park for the night by the owners of the pub. It was the Toby carvery near the NEC and the staff were friendly and very welcoming. We had the very nice carvery which was about £8. Nice photo of my motorhome by the way.
I trust that the person starting the topic also asked permission to park the night and where to do so.

Last edited:

There are parking spaces at that time, but it's before most people have finished work on a Friday evening! I think your comment on resentment sums up my point.

I can assure you that this is where the owner was told to park for the night by the owners of the pub. It was the Toby carvery near the NEC and the staff were friendly and very welcoming. We had the very nice carvery which was about £8. Nice photo of my motorhome by the way.

Nice looking van too.

Ahh, good. And I agree about the staff/food being great.

I did wonder if parking there was agreed, but I'm also really conscious that motorhomes are getting a bad press at the moment and it's back to annoying other visitors, when there was another option.

To make it clear, I'm not saying you were wrong to do it, I just wonder what others would have done/thought. It's a shame I didn't get a good look at you as we could have had a chat over a beer :)

I trust that the person starting the topic also asked permission to park the night and where to do so.

I missed your edit there - I phoned and asked if we could stay after our meal and drinks, but didn't ask where I should park as I'd already spotted the spaces I was in on Google and they're the obvious choice. You may have noticed I tried to stop in just 2 spaces, but was concerned we might not be able to get the wheelchair back in the side if someone parked too close.

Sometimes you cannot park parallel to cars as your vehicle is too long.
It depends on how much other space there is and how busy...
I often park like this in supermarket and retail park carparks !
Sometimes the car spaces are both narrow and short So I have to straddle 2 spaces sideways and 2 spaces lengthways
Otherwise you might get stuck if cars are too close both sides..No room to manouver !

Your in bother now Steve as I’m sure that’s where roaminRog parked last time we was there ????

Lol maybe so Annie. It seems like people aren't bothered by it generally, so not a problem:)
I think it depends on the carpark and location block a dog walkers or local out for the afternoon sea view and you have a whole different ballgame ???

Hi Steve, we parked off the slip road in the corner of the car park farthest away from the pub, it’s a bit of a slope but stick rear wheels on curb it helps a lot, I thought the slip road was a bit narrow for us our mirrors are at the same height as refuse lorries etc

The worst places to park really well are the motorway services where you find just about anybody parks in dedicated caravan or motorhome parking. They seem much more considerate across the channel just about anywhere. When I had a caravan I went to the then new Beaconsfield services off the M40 near London to find that the caravan parking was simply two car spaces end to end. My outfit extend several feet at both ends and my caravan was a small one.

Toby at solstice services on A303 were positively unhelpful, not allowing us to park overnight despite car park being empty half ab hour after our arrival , for the whole night!!!!
Glad this one broke that moms!!!!

It has that many staying staying there when the motorhome show is at the NEC.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back