Shetland

paulhelenwilko

Hello all, hope you are all well,

We are thinking of going to Shetland this Summer and wondered if folks could share any experiences. We have been to Orkney and loved it.
  • Ferries, any recomendations ? Can we stop off at Orkney to break the journey up ?
  • Do Shetland have midges ? if so what time of year ?
  • How is Wild Camping, are there any dump points ?
  • Does it get busy? (like the NC500) if so what time of year ?
  • Importantly, what are the pubs like ?
Paul and Helen.

Hi Paul and Helen we've been to Shetland twice in the last three years, once in our camper and the latest time we stayed in digs with our friends but we prefered the camper. We wildcamped at the small harbour of Vos near where our sea kayaking friends were in digs, with no problems, toilets where we got water and emptied the toilet just up the road. Never encountered midges both times we went.
The ferry from Aberdeen takes twelve hours overnight, direct to Lerwick, we shared a cabin with our friends, but there are recliners etc. Meals on board were very nice including breakfast.
Plenty of wildcamping and not at all busy, we absolutely love the place.
There was a pub in Vos but sadly closed now because of covid, we went to a lovely modern cafe/bar in Lerwick which was called Fjarà cafe/bar which was very handy for Tescos supermarket for provisions.
The sea kayaking is on another level, sea caves tunnels etc.

Hope this helps

Regards Reg and Val

Susie and I met in Shetland many years ago. It’s a wonderful place to visit and whilst I’ve never been in a campervan I’d imagine that would be a great way to visit. No midges. Endless daylight in June. Do make the effort to visit the more northerly islands. We met on Unst. The local people are welcoming and even moderate their accent so that you can understand them!

We have been to Shetland but just with the car about fifteen years ago. However, I can confirm that you can go via Orkney either way if you fancy it. Looks to me that Shetland will lend itself very nicely to a van trip but it won't be cheap on ferry crossings. The trip from Orkney to Shetland was overnight and we took the car off the ferry then back on board for breakfast. Book the restaurant for an evening meal and you won't be disappointed. My Angus steak was as good as any I've had in non floating restaurants.

Agree wholeheartedly with 2CV about the northern islands. We had a very memorable walk on Hermaness for a few hours and saw the sea stacks mobbed with Gannet and the most northerly light at Muckle Flugga. It is as you might imagine a very different place to Orkney and feels much more Scandinavian.

Juices flowing now. I'm going to have a look at it myself. There's some places shown here which may be of use.

Cheers

H

Interestingly, about the same price as a ferry fro Huelva to Grand Canaria. About 35 hours crossing time.

Cheers

H

Bitten the bullet and we are off to Shetland.
Booked the ferry from Aberdeen on Friday night 22nd July, Returning Friday night 5th August.

Return ticket Price: 7.2m Motorhome plus one passenger and one sleeping pod : £329-40.
(Sleeping Pod is £18 each way).

I had looked a few weeks ago but not booked it as we hadn't finalised dates etc. I went on their website on Tueday to find that there was no vehicle space left on any ferry until mid august. I felt really disappointed so next day I rang the booking office to see if there was any hope of perhaps standby or similar. Very helpful lady said no problem we'll put the motorhome on the freight ship and you get on the ferry as foot passenger . It seems the freight ship leaves about an hour before the ferry and gets in an hour after, so not a lot of hanging around.

Anyone else wanting to travel to Shetland it pays to use the phone. Bookings on the freight ship cannot be done online. I assume that they will try to put the moho on the ferry first. There did not appear to be a price difference between the ferry and freight ship.

Helen has decided on her own remedy for seasickness, she is flying from Aberdeen and meeting me on Shetland. Looks like she will be getting the same view as Bill.

I will get a Stugeron and be grateful.

About £1000 return around June/ July.

Cheers

H
There seems a massive discrepency between the price I have paid and your quote ?

Paul.

1657318691416.png

Last edited:
The Shetland ferry seems remarkably cheap, compare it with IoW on the same days, same moho etc :

1657324517137.png

Shetland is 13.5hrs and IoW 40mins yet the IoW is more expensive.
Is Shetland ferry perhaps subsidised ? or are the IoW ferries opersted by a Cartel of theiving Barstewrards ?

Just shows that the phone can win out. I don’t remember seeing anything about splitting the trip between the two ships but it seems like a very good price.

My wife would also opt for a flight.

Cheers

H

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back