SHOULD I STAY OR?

The laird

Rally Organiser

Got a dilemma can’t agree on a van last night started thinking about other routes to go ,fed up looking at vans and seen some crud which was meant to be superb condition.
Statics came up in a conversation yesterday which I’ve been there etc ,same with tugging
Decisions eh ,got family to consider as well agh

you do know if you go the static route you could hang on to the old girl?

We wondered about a static caravan at a lovely place many years ago.

We decided against it because we realised we preferred the mobility of visiting different places, the ever increasing and uncertain cost of future ground rental, and the maximum age of static van allowed.

For us, we've never regretted it.

Our friends bought a static on the Norfolk coast and really enjoyed their time there - until their neighbours changed :devilish:. You'll find a moho eventually Gordon, it's in your blood (y)

Motorhome or Caravan Or Static
3 VERY different beasts/lifestyle..

A bit like "Cilla on Blind Date"..The choice is yours (and your wife's) others cannot really help !

That reminds me. I once stayed at a motorhome site in France that shared the plot with statics in an adjacent wooded corner. For various reasons, Brits had accumulated, bought statics and formed a friendly community.

The site owner retired, the new owner and character of the site altered, and the Brits told me they they could no longer sell their investments and were effectively trapped. I felt sorry for them.

That reminds me. I once stayed at a motorhome site in France that shared the plot with statics in an adjacent wooded corner. For various reasons, Brits had accumulated, bought statics and formed a friendly community.

The site owner retired, the new owner and character of the site altered, and the Brits told me they they could no longer sell their investments and were effectively trapped. I felt sorry for them.
Same happened in CARNAC OWNERS DIDNT GET ON WITH NEW FOLKS

I think you’d be much better to put up with a motorhomes’ shortcomings to maintain the flexibility that it gives. Some of the best things about having a van are the variety of places that you can stay, the ability to move elsewhere if things around you are not to your liking and the variety of ways you can use it, from the sociability of a meet to finding an isolated spot with no one around for miles.
Whilst a static can be very comfortable, I think that the freedom and adventure offered by a motorhome far outweigh the downsides. Keep looking and compromise if necessary. I took 5 years at least before finding what I wanted. It is difficult as the quality of manufacture seems to decline by the year, but there are still some gems amidst lots of dross.
Not only that but lots of us would miss your excellent meets!

I think you’d be much better to put up with a motorhomes’ shortcomings to maintain the flexibility that it gives. Some of the best things about having a van are the variety of places that you can stay, the ability to move elsewhere if things around you are not to your liking and the variety of ways you can use it, from the sociability of a meet to finding an isolated spot with no one around for miles.
Whilst a static can be very comfortable, I think that the freedom and adventure offered by a motorhome far outweigh the downsides. Keep looking and compromise if necessary. I took 5 years at least before finding what I wanted. It is difficult as the quality of manufacture seems to decline by the year, but there are still some gems amidst lots of dross.
Not only that but lots of us would miss your excellent meets!
Nice sensible kind words bill many thanks

Gordon , you and Fiona are the only ones who can make that decision as you are both sensible enough to look at the whole picture and not dive in feet first . I am sure with a little time you will find the path you want to go down and get back on your feet . Take care Buddy ;)

This should swing it for you imagine I bought the static next door? thinking along Ken’s lines would be a perfect scenario especially with the grandchildren a bolthole for the family weekends and yer wee van for the odd escape when you need it perfect

This should swing it for you imagine I bought the static next door? thinking along Ken’s lines would be a perfect scenario especially with the grandchildren a bolthole for the family weekends and yer wee van for the odd escape when you need it perfect
And don’t think for a minute he wouldn’t.OMG!

We had friends who bought a static but lost a load of money when they came to sell it. The site fees went up year on year too. Good luck with your decision!

2cv puts it brilliantly. and thanks 2cv. compromise been the key word regarding a motorhome. sure everbody would like changes to there van. unless your building it yourself. compromise is the key. on a selfish point i dont want you to get a static. but wish you and fiona great times whatever you do.

• Thank You
Reactions: 2cv
If you feel that you need stability now, the other way to go is to put a big towable caravan on a seasonal pitch. Not as expensive as a static and you are not stuck when circumstances change.

If you feel that you need stability now, the other way to go is to put a big towable caravan on a seasonal pitch. Not as expensive as a static and you are not stuck when circumstances change.

You beat me to it,that is what we did and if that is the route you take make sure you get the right layout: bed wise we had a fixed bed and sadly that hasn’t worked well if there is a next time we will be looking for an island bed!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back