Simple Security Mod

mblinko

I spent 5 minutes today doing this. Driver seat now lockable in the backwards state. Octopi excluded, I would think it adds 30 minutes to the time someone needs to steal my van, but only if they have a robust hacksaw

A93DC409-F114-422E-8253-05EBFDD92EB8.jpeg

I don't think it would take that long with a decent cordless angle grinder which seems to be the weapon of choice for the thieving community.

I don't think it would take that long with a decent cordless angle grinder which seems to be the weapon of choice for the thieving community.
There's always one thief, but thanks for your observations anyway.

I suspect that a cordless angle grinder would have difficulty with the lock and the attack would need to be on the steelwork to which it's attached, In any case, that's a lot of noise with potentially a lot of associated unwanted attention. FWIW, the Lock Picking Lawyer says that padlock "appears to be a pretty competent little lock", which is high praise indeed from one of the most skilled lock pickers in the business. IMO, the most likely way that entire van might get stolen is probably towed or on the back of a recovery truck!

I have something similar fitted with an additional item (hidden from normal view) which will set off an alarm if a grinder is used. Motorhome thieves undoubtedly read posts on forums and this thread is open to anyone, so Don't ask what it is because I am not saying. ;)

I suspect that a cordless angle grinder would have difficulty with the lock and the attack would need to be on the steelwork to which it's attached, In any case, that's a lot of noise with potentially a lot of associated unwanted attention. FWIW, the Lock Picking Lawyer says that padlock "appears to be a pretty competent little lock", which is high praise indeed from one of the most skilled lock pickers in the business. IMO, the most likely way that entire van might get stolen is probably towed or on the back of a recovery truck!

My sentiments and rationale exactly. I thought the video was excellent. Makes me want to take up a new hobby 😮

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back