sliding door...want it to stop halfway..

Thanks to vanterrier for that. I have a transit and had a not very sightly own constructed bit of angle iron on a hinge to put in the way of the bottom arm of the door when necessary, this is a much better tidier idea, for the transit it needed to be only about 18mm deep not 22mm, but job done, well happy. We have the bathroom built half way across the door opening, with toilet cassette access at the rear part. We also have an opening window on that side, so we needed something to prevent carnage and destruction if the window opening department miscommunicated with the toilet emptying department (surely not?!). To have to source a replacement of a polyplastic window that was fairly difficult to source in the first place would have caused major unhappiness...........

That has been pretty much my concern since I bought the van.

I can see one day slamming the sliding door into our hinged open window. This solution will solve that once and for all.

Thank you Vanterrier.

Thanks, this looks useful. Please clarify what you mean by

What I mean is, when you are looking at the bottom track of the door, get down to eye level for this, then you can see the back of the the track which is vertical with round holes at various points. It's this face that you need to rivet the stopper to, so that the "bumps" are sticking outward and the mid section provides a recess for the door latch to locate into.
I hope that explains it better?
I will take a photo when I get a chance.
K ;)

Dont know that it would work on Fiats etc but i can position the sliding door of my VW T4 in any position by utilising a -- cork from a wine bottle. The cork is tied to the top bracket of the door and can be wedged in the door track either in front or behind the top bracket roller depending on angle of the van. Keep life simple!

@Vanterrier Apologies for the thread resurrection, but that looks like exactly what I'm after. I was shopping for an awning today and we realised just how few of them cater for an entrance tunnel wide enough to allow the door to fully open. A reliable halfway stop on the door would solve that problem completely.

I like your solution rather than putting a bump on the top roller like the stopsy - this seems more reliable for slopes as it will hold the door more firmly. Please can you share a few more details about how you made it, such as:

What thickness of steel did you use?
what type (mild/stainless/aluminium)?
What technique did you use to get the bend angles right?

TIA

As posted by phase3begins, a tennis ball in the bottom track works brilliantly, to stop the door opening fully. We may get a permanent solution but this is cheap, really effective and simple. Also meant we always had a ball for the dog to chase!

Thanks Vanterrier I’ve just made a cardboard templet will take it down my mate garage tomorrow and make one View attachment 53361
I was going to recommend 1.6mm aluminium to answer your query. Also the ramp needs to be steep enough to keep the door in place on a reasonable slope but if you forget the stop is there the catch can ride over the whole thing without coming to a sudden stop... dont ask me how I know ;)
K

I've had a go today before I saw the recent updates. I made the mistake of using 1.5mm stainless steel, which has proved very difficult to bend and broke my little vice!

The cork trick is brilliant - it definitely works for stopping the door halfway when closing, but has the same problem as my first attempt with the bent metal. The door cannot be stopped from opening all the way, even with a cork sticking out at 90 degrees. No matter what you put in the channel, the catch will flip past it when opening and only catch when closing.

I definitely want to be able to catch the door from opening all the way - has anyone got any ideas for this before I accept defeat and order a stopsy?

well, I got a stopsey and it works great....then I saw that Shari had what was basically a loop about a foot long, attached to door, and had a screw in cup screw thing on the overhead cupboard which would have been a brill idea, but I didn’t think of that.......

Campervan sliding doors are the invention of the devil.

They are there to make sure that everyone else on the campsite knows when you have to go to the loo in the middle of the night and how long it takes you to get back !

Paul.
Saturday night, few beers, at the computer,nothing much better to do, and cheaper than going on e-bay !

Campervan sliding doors are the invention of the devil.

They are there to make sure that everyone else on the campsite knows when you have to go to the loo in the middle of the night and how long it takes you to get back !

Paul.
Saturday night, few beers, at the computer,nothing much better to do, and cheaper than going on e-bay !
You always get some miserable old bastard Paul 😛😛😛😛😛😛😛

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back