Slovenia toll roads and Go Box

GMJ

We originally had it in mind to go to Sicily next April/May however I am in two minds now as its a very long drive and we would only have 3 weeks when on the island. As such I am now considering Croatia, en route to which we would travel through Slovenia.

I am aware that they use a vignette for vehicles under 3500kg and have a Go Box on board unit type arrangement for vehicles over that weight however I can't seem to find out if this is only required for the Motorways/Toll roads or whether it is needed, full stop.

Our MH is over 3500kg so a vignette would be no use, hence the question.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this? i.e. is a Go Box required on all roads or just the motorways/toll roads? If I don't need one I'll just plot roads on non motorways/toll roads

ta

We’ve been to Sicily twice and both times took the overnight ferry from Civitavechia near Rome toSicily. Board around 6pm disembark around 10am saved a couple of days driving into the sun. We went in May cost about 220€ with a cabin. We drove back all the way and toured quite a few places, cheers alan

We originally had it in mind to go to Sicily next April/May however I am in two minds now as its a very long drive and we would only have 3 weeks when on the island. As such I am now considering Croatia, en route to which we would travel through Slovenia.

I am aware that they use a vignette for vehicles under 3500kg and have a Go Box on board unit type arrangement for vehicles over that weight however I can't seem to find out if this is only required for the Motorways/Toll roads or whether it is needed, full stop.

Our MH is over 3500kg so a vignette would be no use, hence the question.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this? i.e. is a Go Box required on all roads or just the motorways/toll roads? If I don't need one I'll just plot roads on non motorways/toll roads

ta
we were in Sicily just a fortnight ago, and currently in o]France on our way home. We hadn't initially intended to go to Sicily, just Puglia and Calabria, but as Sicily is even closer than the IOW, and ferry prices reasonable, we did. We circumnavigated the island over about a week. Wild camped a few times (in one car park we found the girl in the car nearby was selling her services, moved to another part, and found ourselves near a drug dealer, so drove back to the port area with a half cooked meal). The roads and driving was "interesting", especially the Palermo bypass. The best bit was definitely Etna. Good to have gone but we won't be back.

Regarding Slovenia vignette. The road from Trieste takes you straight to the motorway, and the need for a vignette just for a few miles. However, wenoticed locals driving straight through the service area, avoiding the motorway. I asked a very attractive policewoman in a patrol car how to avoid the motorway, ad she directed me in the same direction. So set the satnav to avoid toll roads and you should be fine

I'm not getting very far getting an answer to the Board Unit question I posed above. I contacted the Slovenian Consulate in London who pointed me towards the OBU website....which didn't answer my question. I chased the Consulate again who then pointed me towards the Slovenian equivalent of the AA, so I have emailed them!

Personally I would have thought the Consulate should have found me the answer especially as I said I was planning to visit as a tourist!

We’ve been to Sicily twice and both times took the overnight ferry from Civitavechia near Rome toSicily. Board around 6pm disembark around 10am saved a couple of days driving into the sun. We went in May cost about 220€ with a cabin. We drove back all the way and toured quite a few places, cheers alan

Thanks for the reply. I think there is a ferry option from northern Italy too but Mrs GMJ is not good on long ferry journeys so these options are out I'm afraid.

I just had a reply from the Slovenian AA as it goes. They said

No, if you don't drive on motorways and expressways, then you don't have to pay a toll and you don't need an electronic toll device.

So good news :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back