Small battery powered drills

Rockburner

Small battery powered drills

Can anyone recommend a small, but reasonably powerful battery powered screwdriver/drill that I can chuck into my toolkit?

We're going to be fulltiming soon, so I won't have immediate access to my 'garage of power', and yet I'm sure my wife will expect me to be able to mend/fix/make/adapt anything and everything that we are going to need on the road. ;)

I'm trying to put together the smallest, but useful toolkit that I can assemble.

I have a Dremel, but they're really not suited to drilling/screwdriving, and I have a largish battery powered drill, but it's far too big for 'travelling'.

I bought a MacAllister cordless 10.8V drill,(from B&Q) about two years ago and it's worked brilliantly despite getting a lot of hard work

Paid around £30 for it and it weighs 1kg .inc battery

Hope this helps.

Last cheap one I bought was an 18volt li ion from aldi. Solid, reliable, powerful, lightweight and compact. Great little drill.Cant complain for £25. Look out for them they keep coming back in store.

Try dewalt decent batteries and if you need a jigsaw or another piece of equipment the batteries are interchangeable

If you want real power-5ah battery, real quality, interchangeable batteries and something that will probably outlast you; undoubtedly go for Makita-cant be beaten and some bargains about.
That's my go to drill/driver.

Aldi have their drill available online now-its been upgraded to 20 volts and is £29.99 with a 3 yr guarantee.

Ryobi 18v 2nd hand off ebay. I have 22 assorted Ryobi 2nd hand 18v tools bought of ebay and elsewhere and they all work off the same battery.
Lithium of course now but still use ni-cad as the intelligent charger for lithium works on both..
I have mostly the older blue range and a few yellow.
They have to cope with what ever I ask of them, none have failed in my use.
Small drill £16 charger £30 battery £50.

For many years I used A;ldi/Lidl/Leclerc etc power tools in the exhibition business, if they walked it wasn't the end og the world. Nowhere near as reliable as De-Walt, but I could buy quite a few cordless drills for the price of a De Walt. If it went wrong, and they were surprisingly long lived, chuck it away and get another.

Malcolm

Molly 3;n20864 said:
I have an old Stanley hand drill .never fails ,

Yes but the power supply is looking old and knackered :Very_sad_emoji_icon

emjaiuk;n20861 said:
For many years I used A;ldi/Lidl/Leclerc etc power tools in the exhibition business, if they walked it wasn't the end og the world. Nowhere near as reliable as De-Walt, but I could buy quite a few cordless drills for the price of a De Walt. If it went wrong, and they were surprisingly long lived, chuck it away and get another.

Malcolm

I agree the level of use most of us make of these tools does not justify the trade versions. If I was using one all the time and making my living from it I would buy the best. Most of my stuff these days comes from Aldi or CPC and does what I want fine, dont let me down and now we are on Lithium batteries they last well too.

We use pretty much all DeWalt stuff for my woodworking business and have been very pleased with it.

A Friend of mine once lent me a small Hitachi drill/driver though, and I was very impressed with it.

teejay;n20811 said:
Aldi have their drill available online now-its been upgraded to 20 volts and is £29.99 with a 3 yr guarantee.

This one? https://www.aldi.co.uk/20v-li-ion-co...81670189832700

Looks a good price.

Have to admit I'm looking for something smaller though - eg, I don't need a 13mm chuck, 10mm will do me fine.

I was hoping there might be a low-cost version of this Makita (with a 10mm chuck rather than the screwdriver bit chuck) that someone could recommend :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NC1VO...9VT26QO8&psc=0

Rockburner;n20879 said:
This one? https://www.aldi.co.uk/20v-li-ion-co...81670189832700

Looks a good price.

Have to admit I'm looking for something smaller though - eg, I don't need a 13mm chuck, 10mm will do me fine.

I was hoping there might be a low-cost version of this Makita (with a 10mm chuck rather than the screwdriver bit chuck) that someone could recommend :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NC1VO...9VT26QO8&psc=0

That's the aldi one. You wont find ANY better for that price. Its an automatic tightening chuck, you only have to hold it lightly to draw in or out. Your average screwdriver type are useless toys-even the expensive ones IMO. You even get a free set of heads and hss drills with it!!

Makita, Bosch or Milwaukee non of them are cheap and there's a reason why.

Regards,
Del

I use Bosch professional 10.8 volt kit (now rebadged as 12v)

for a small drill 10mm chuck hammer , normal drill and screwdriver option with controllable torque settings twin speed and variable trigger

i would highly recommend the Bosch GSB 10.8x2-li Or its newer 12v equivalent

you may also consider their small GDR 10.8-Li Impact driver which is superb And will do up or undo screws and nuts that a normal driver won’t shift

both fit nicely in your palm

come with 3 year warranty if registered with Bosch ( 2 years on batteries)

Some good deals available on online tool stores like FFX , Axminster, powertool world Etc

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back