Smelly fridge

Garsue

We managed to leave meat in the freezer compartment in our fridge which went off, now we have a smelly fridge, tried bicarb, lemon & white vinegar which has made it better but there is still a stronge smell. Any pearls of wisdom for getting it back to normal ??
Wife threating me with a new fridge if we can't sort it ??

I was told ages ago to put an open container of coffee grounds (or instant coffee granules) inside a fridge to absorb smells and moisture when it's not in use. Kitchen towel loosely folded over with several spoons of coffee inside would help at a pinch but far better to use a shallow layer of coffee in a margarine tub or similar. I'd put one in the freezer section and another in the main body, plus prop the freezer door open with something. When not in use, I always use a small wooden spoon with the tip of the handle just stopping the door from closing, plus it prevents the main door from closing, so lots of air circulating.

If all else fails, put some smelly cheese in there... that always trumps any fridge smell! :ROFLMAO:

I was told ages ago to put an open container of coffee grounds (or instant coffee granules) inside a fridge to absorb smells and moisture when it's not in use. Kitchen towel loosely folded over with several spoons of coffee inside would help at a pinch but far better to use a shallow layer of coffee in a margarine tub or similar. I'd put one in the freezer section and another in the main body, plus prop the freezer door open with something. When not in use, I always use a small wooden spoon with the tip of the handle just stopping the door from closing, plus it prevents the main door from closing, so lots of air circulating.

If all else fails, put some smelly cheese in there... that always trumps any fridge smell! :ROFLMAO:
Good bit of strong cheddar and half an onion for a week should sort it

Don’t know if it will help but a dehumidifier stood in front of fridge overnight cured a smelly fridge in doors.

We have a friend who suffered from smelly fridge syndrome. Turns out it was the condensate drain behind the vents was allowing the smell to seep back inside. Removal showed gunge (smelly) like fishy water. Drained out, cleaned and pipe cleaner used to clear drain cured it.
He was convinced someone had stuck a bit of kipper in the condensate drain as a joke!
Cheers,
Alan

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back