Smoke from tap

MOJO

Free Member

Our Reich kitchen tap on a Hymer has not switched on the pump for some time. We turn on the bathroom tap to start pump and use the kitchen tap as usuall.
Today we had smoke coming from the hot/cold selecter on the kitchen tap . From underneath no signs. Comes from the tap only. These poor design taps allow water to trickle in to the selecter housing. This causes rusting on tiny screws and failure of micro switches but smoke is a new one? Happened to others?

Our Reich kitchen tap on a Hymer has not switched on the pump for some time. We turn on the bathroom tap to start pump and use the kitchen tap as usuall.
Today we had smoke coming from the hot/cold selecter on the kitchen tap . From underneath no signs. Comes from the tap only. These poor design taps allow water to trickle in to the selecter housing. This causes rusting on tiny screws and failure of micro switches but smoke is a new one? Happened to others?
My Hymer's Reich taps had problems too. The basic problem was that the microswitch is in the top, and swivels as you adjust the temperature. Over time, the pvc insulation of the flexible wires has hardened, to the point where the force was enough to snap the soldered joint.
That left a poor terminal, so I replaced the microswitches with small generic lever arm ones (under £1 on eBay) which clipped in nicely despite being smaller than the originals.
I fixed the underlying problem by replacing the stiff pvc insulated flexible wires with thin, supple, silicone-insulated ones. Wire sold for test meter probes, I think.
Yours probably fell off and shorted together. Best sort that out!
On mine, the tap handle simply pulls off straight upwards, showing the switch and wires underneath.

Removed the tap and replaced with spare. Still to get the faulty tap apart to see the problem. Rusty screw is the hold up. Managed to remove screw from a different tap. You can see the difference from new. I fully understand the micro switch replacement option now after dismanteling another tap. Still need to remove tap on this Vector type to access the switch.IMG_20200414_131210.jpg

I would consider changing to a pressurised system and doing away with the microswitches :)

I would consider changing to a pressurised system and doing away with the microswitches :)
I definitely would not. The hassle with a switched system is the wiring. That's done. I've used both. Switched is vastly better in my opinion.

I definitely would not. The hassle with a switched system is the wiring. That's done. I've used both. Switched is vastly better in my opinion.

There are a lot of people that post here about problems with microswitches.

Changing is easy enough, link the two wires at any one of the microswitches in your van if the permanent positive isn't available at the pump. Then fit the pressure switch in the electrical feed to the pump.

It just shows how different minds work when I read the title I thought there’s fracking in the locality 🤔🤔

Last edited:
Yes, pressure switches are easy to fit. That's why they are used. But that doesn't make them a good idea

Micro switch fault found.After the smoking tap incident and struggling to remove the rusty screw I can see the part was melting. Here also are the componant parts to this Reich tap. Micro switch replacing from now on rather than a whole tap. IMG_20200418_155221.jpgIMG_20200418_155113.jpg

Reactions: 2cv
I've got to say that the quality of people's photography on this forum are excellent.

Over the many years of fettling, when I've take something different apart, I've often taken photos to remind me of the buildup so that I don't have bits left over, but mine are rarely as good as these.

I must try harder. 😳

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back