Snow Chains.

runnach

Any members carry these when in Europe, I have printed off a map of areas where snow chains are a legal requirement (France) from October through to April. Any recommendations on brands to look at buying?

Thanks in advance.

I carry them as we cross the Pyrenees in winter. I could get a set of snow tyres but the tyres on my van have a lot of tread. I have only used them in Essex to get up a hill with polished snow! Worked very well and easy to put on.
You MUST try putting them on a few times at home first. A cold roadside is not the place to puzzle through the instructions for the first time. Do put some gloves in with the chains and something to kneel on, preferably long enough to also keep your trousers dry.
When you take them off they can be wet and dirty so have a polythene sack for them. Wash as soon as you can afterwards as salt will cause corrosion.
Chains will also get you moving again if you get stuck in mud.

Used them a lot when we lived in Norway (as well as having studded tyres) and took them with us when we moved to France although they didn’t get used so much there. Fully agree with everything Glass man says above. Can’t really make any specific recommendations but don’t buy cheap and make sure there is plenty of space between wheel and wheel arches when fitted.
We had ours years back and in those days chains were a real pain to fit. I hope things are easier these days.

Any members carry these when in Europe, I have printed off a map of areas where snow chains are a legal requirement (France) from October through to April. Any recommendations on brands to look at buying?

Thanks in advance.
I have a set that I bought from a forum member a few years ago but never used and in fact unlikely to ever use, so could be for sale if interested? they are sized by tyre sizes. what tyre size have you go and I can check if they are suitable for you if you want?

I have a set that I bought from a forum member a few years ago but never used and in fact unlikely to ever use, so could be for sale if interested? they are sized by tyre sizes. what tyre size have you go and I can check if they are suitable for you if you want?
Hi and thanks for your reply. tyre size is as follows: 215/75 R16. Be sods law I get pulled by Gendarme in an area where having chains with you are required.
You can pm me the details, thanks.

I carry them as we cross the Pyrenees in winter. I could get a set of snow tyres but the tyres on my van have a lot of tread. I have only used them in Essex to get up a hill with polished snow! Worked very well and easy to put on.
You MUST try putting them on a few times at home first. A cold roadside is not the place to puzzle through the instructions for the first time. Do put some gloves in with the chains and something to kneel on, preferably long enough to also keep your trousers dry.
When you take them off they can be wet and dirty so have a polythene sack for them. Wash as soon as you can afterwards as salt will cause corrosion.
Chains will also get you moving again if you get stuck in mud.
Thank you for your reply, I have never seen snow chains in the flesh, let alone fitted them, I take your point of dry runs, as I imagine they can be a mare to install. Same for advice for something to lean/kneel on, I have one off those yoga type mats in MH garage for such occasions.

Used them a lot when we lived in Norway (as well as having studded tyres) and took them with us when we moved to France although they didn’t get used so much there. Fully agree with everything Glass man says above. Can’t really make any specific recommendations but don’t buy cheap and make sure there is plenty of space between wheel and wheel arches when fitted.
We had ours years back and in those days chains were a real pain to fit. I hope things are easier these days.
Tony, not even used during your Eskbank days?

We will be travelling down through France, Mont Blanc, Aosta and then all around Italy. We have invested in a pair of Snow sox which satisfy legal requirements and are SO much lighter.

Tony, not even used during your Eskbank days?
Nope - when we lived in Eskbank I had a fantastic Renault16 (the best car I have ever owned after the Tesla MX!) which surprisingly was pretty good in the snow as it had (like all cars back then) really narrow tyres. It’s only with the advent of the wider tyres that grip in snow has become a problem. Plus back in those days (probably before you were born Terry) we didn’t have snow!!

Nope - when we lived in Eskbank I had a fantastic Renault16 (the best car I have ever owned after the Tesla MX!) which surprisingly was pretty good in the snow as it had (like all cars back then) really narrow tyres. It’s only with the advent of the wider tyres that grip in snow has become a problem. Plus back in those days (probably before you were born Terry) we didn’t have snow!!
Tony, I was a bairn during the 62/63 cold and mucho snow winter, I got lost in a snow drift for two days!!

looked at the snow. socks but finally went with these they are reusable cable ties with grip very light , i actually used them on a muddy field and they worked like a dream & so cheap i got two sets 9B239E81-26F3-4A5A-B42B-C19093B79F12.png

We will be travelling down through France, Mont Blanc, Aosta and then all around Italy. We have invested in a pair of Snow sox which satisfy legal requirements and are SO much lighter.
Cheers for your info Rog. Our plans are flexible after we leave Poitiers. My Italian brother in law (lives in Edinburgh) is heading over to his small holding outside Acqui Terme next month, we may pay him a visit? The border crossing area is one where chains are required.

Check out Acqui Terme. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acqui_Terme

I could have been tempted Ken, but we dont have Alloy wheels.
Cheers for your info Rog. Our plans are flexible after we leave Poitiers. My Italian brother in law (lives in Edinburgh) is heading over to his small holding outside Acqui Terme next month, we may pay him a visit? The border crossing area is one where chains are required.

Check out Acqui Terme. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acqui_Terme
which crossing point are you hoping to use Terry?

looked at the snow. socks but finally went with these they are reusable cable ties with grip very light , i actually used them on a muddy field and they worked like a dream & so cheap i got two sets View attachment 66035
Thanks for this Ken, setup looks very simple, Although I doubt my steel rims would facilitate sufficient spacing's to allow adequate ties to be added, I'll check in the morning, though...............cheers.

I could have been tempted Ken, but we dont have Alloy wheels.

which crossing point are you hoping to use Terry?
If we do head to Italy, Acqui is roughly between Turn and Milan. Possible Lyon direction towards Turin. Nothing in stone as yet, Rog.

Just for your information Terry, if you choose Mont Blanc, the charge is €68, with a heavy discount if you book a return trip, but that has a time restriction.
Have a safe trip 👍

Just for your information Terry, if you choose Mont Blanc, the charge is €68, with a heavy discount if you book a return trip, but that has a time restriction.
Have a safe trip 👍
I didn't know of this cost, we have much to learn from masters such as yourself!! We could head to Nice, then cross over?

Did think about that, but believe it or not, it’s possible that you would save the fuel cost by using MB.
I have heard that the coast road is prone to accidents.

Hi and thanks for your reply. tyre size is as follows: 215/75 R16. Be sods law I get pulled by Gendarme in an area where having chains with you are required.
You can pm me the details, thanks.
I'll check tomorrow :)

Did think about that, but believe it or not, it’s possible that you would save the fuel cost by using MB.
I have heard that the coast road is prone to accidents.
France and Italy, white knuckle drives.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back