Solar panel advice

Hi be four I got this van I used a 80w briefcase solar panel they come with regulator all built-in and all the connections to ether connect straight onto battery or a cigarette. I had a wire coming straight from the axillary to the outside with a waterproof plug and when the van was in storage I would put it in the front seat and connect it to the van starting battery it also came with a padded case for storage the beauty of this type is you can turn it to face the sun and get the max out of it, you get larger ones. This way it would give you a Ida what size you needed and if you wonted to fit it on the roof at a later date you could fit it to the roof as it was just the same as a 40w panel just that it was two 40ws hinged together and if you found that you need larger all you would do is buy another 40w giving you 120w or 100w giving you 180w

61%2Bww01fahL._SL1000_.jpg

Hi be four I got this van I used a 80w briefcase solar panel they come with regulator all built-in and all the connections to ether connect straight onto battery or a cigarette. I had a wire coming straight from the axillary to the outside with a waterproof plug and when the van was in storage I would put it in the front seat and connect it to the van starting battery it also came with a padded case for storage the beauty of this type is you can turn it to face the sun and get the max out of it, you get larger ones. This way it would give you a Ida what size you needed and if you wonted to fit it on the roof at a later date you could fit it to the roof as it was just the same as a 40w panel just that it was two 40ws hinged together and if you found that you need larger all you would do is buy another 40w giving you 120w or 100w giving you 180w

61%2Bww01fahL._SL1000_.jpg
I've got a 80 watt suitcase solar panel in the shed had forgotten all about it until reading your post thought I'd left it in a previous van didn't know you could install it on your roof

I fitted a Waeco Tropicool in my camper - it is a good compromise as not too expensive. It is like a very sophisticated coolbox with ability to alter the temperature you want it at and it cuts in and out to maintain that. I set it to quite cool during the day and lower the setting ( less cool ) for nighttime when no charge is going to the battery. With an 80w solar panel it works here in Scotland - maybe it wouldn't in a much hotter climate.

I fitted a Waeco Tropicool in my camper - it is a good compromise as not too expensive. It is like a very sophisticated coolbox with ability to alter the temperature you want it at and it cuts in and out to maintain that. I set it to quite cool during the day and lower the setting ( less cool ) for nighttime when no charge is going to the battery. With an 80w solar panel it works here in Scotland - maybe it wouldn't in a much hotter climate.
Thanks for the advice will take a look at them was thinking of installing a compressor fridge but can't find one that will fit in the available space

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back