Solar panel controller

andylad303

Free Member

Hi, I am fitting a solar panel to my motorhome and have read the controller should be as near to the battery as possible, I assume for voltage drop. It is not really feasible for me to put mine near to the battery, if I was to put it in a overhead cupboard say 2m from the battery would it be a problem. I am fitting a single 150w panel into a 20 A pwm controller. Thanks in advance

Indeed, if the controller is too far away from the battery, a voltage drop may occur, which will reduce the charging efficiency and may even damage the battery. If you can't mount the controller as close to the battery as possible, I would recommend using thicker wires to connect the controller to the battery. The thicker the wires, the less voltage loss. Also, if you have the option to use an MPPT controller instead of a PWM controller, that may be a better option. MPPT controllers are more efficient at absorbing energy from solar panels and can compensate for voltage loss even if the controller is some distance from the battery.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back