Solar panel installation.

I believe a lot is down to the surface area, bigger is better and why i prefer the corner style of plastic brackets, or the long end ones, some use quite small L shaped ally ones, they need screws regardless.

hi guys . the 2 panels on the back i took off my cheyenne which i put on in 2009 & left a space to use my oscillating tool if i had any intentions of taking them off which i did in 2019 putting them on our 599 10 years they where on the roof with 5 L brackets the same on our new m/h not one screw to be seen you pay's your money & take your choice . indecently look at the amps those 10 year old 2 panels are pumping out lovely jumbly
cheyenne

DSCN0150.JPGInkedDSC00742 solar panels_LI.jpg

hi guys . the 2 panels on the back i took off my cheyenne which i put on in 2009 & left a space to use my oscillating tool if i had any intentions of taking them off which i did in 2019 putting them on our 599 10 years they where on the roof with 5 L brackets the same on our new m/h not one screw to be seen you pay's your money & take your choice . indecently look at the amps those 10 year old 2 panels are pumping out lovely jumbly
cheyenne

View attachment 67660View attachment 67661
One of the best controllers out there too and they still make the same one.

I am picking up a 2021 Elddis in June and I need solar fitted. Most of the suppliers reckon 4 to 5 hours for installation and accordingly they are charging more than the cost of the hardware. I am therefore considering fitting it myself but I cannot see how it takes that long or am I missing something?
Glue the panel to the roof.
Drill hole for cable and fit cable cowl to roof.
Position controller inside.
Connect solar cable to controller.
Connect controller to battery.

Does this really take 4 to 5 hours?

While on the subject, I was thinking of buying from Sunstore the 120W kit which includes EP Solar MPPT Dual Battery Solar Charge Controller 10A . Any comments on that? Seems reasonable at around £300.

I've never fitted one before so all comments and advice welcome.
Just had another 100 watt solar panel fitted to the motorhome, the local caravan/motorhome guy charged me £370 for fitting
and all the parts. It took him 4.5 hrs , thought this was a fair price.

Just had another 100 watt solar panel fitted to the motorhome, the local caravan/motorhome guy charged me £370 for fitting
and all the parts. It took him 4.5 hrs , thought this was a fair price.
hi. that's not to bad if you cant do it yourself they can be job to do . its just if i can diy myself that the jobs been done right even asking other people just to make sure . cheyenne

Just fitted one yesterday doubling up on the 120w that was already fitted, purchased as a kit using the aero end fitting kit and bonded to the roof. Marked the area where it was being fitted gave a clean with meths rub with scotch bright to roughened up the smooth surface another clean with the meths and had a wee swig of what was left over. 😳
Bonded using the supplied adhesive, cable encased in 25 x 16 trunking. Luckily for me a spare set of 6mm cables had been run along side the original set during the van build which made it easy to connect down to the new 20amp controller next to the EBL box.20230526_101943.jpg20230526_102649.jpg20230530_122353.jpg20230529_105140.jpg20230526_112041.jpg20230530_182857.jpg

hi guys . ours are 14 years old 2/ 120watts taken off our cheyenne 840D 10 years now on our swift 4 years still banging out 12amps .cheyenne

DSC02887.JPGInkedDSC00742 solar panels_LI.jpg

Just looking at the controller wiring in the picture above, it looks a lot like domestic T&E.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back