Spotted, an absolute gem of a classic 1969 Bedford motorhome for sale

Millie Master

Doing as I do every single day, checking out what has come up for sale on the classic cars front occasionally you will get a motorhome pop up and this one brings back a lot of memories for me:-

Doing as I do every single day, checking out what has come up for sale on the classic cars front occasionally you will get a motorhome pop up and this one brings back a lot of memories for me:-

Looks like a very reasonable price for someone who wants a classic motor with a difference. :D

got me browsing now!

I wonder what this Bedford started life as? Camper or something else? Maybe a minibus? Very unusual body. check out the drivers side door arrangement and windscreen.

A lot of CA's had the sliding door, don't know why the slider went out of fashion. My uncle had a Sherpa with a slider & it was great to drive in the summer with the door open....

Sorry - I forgot the link to the one I mentioned ....
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1134197
11785655.jpg

As a kid my dad had a CA Dormobile camper. The roof had leather straps on the inside to fasten it down, but they perished and anything over 30mph me and my brother had to hang on to the roof on the inside to stop it lifting😱

got me browsing now!

I wonder what this Bedford started life as? Camper or something else? Maybe a minibus? Very unusual body. check out the drivers side door arrangement and windscreen.

Martin Walters 'debonair'

Bedford CA Debonair. This was the very stylish glass fibre coachbuilt on an extended CA chassis. It was glass fibre from the front wings back. Full height, so no flip top roof needed. It was the top of the range, and had two separate bedrooms, a toilet compartment, and a cooker with oven. A fridge was an optional extra. Unfortunately, being such a stylish vehicle had its drawbacks, with many an `ice cream van’ joke being bandied about.

Handled like a 3 legged cow in a bog.... Roomy though....

also had its own version of the famous Bedford gear linkage- like stirring porridge, praying for it to do as it's told . i once had one that stayed in a parking space for a week while various friends , passers-by and nosey drivers tried to get it into reverse. a nice old lady finally did it to a smattering of applause , which made her day

Most were only 3 speed too... 1st 2nd 4th.... Was the spacing gearing wise .
I had a Martin Walters ca lift up roof
Good fun rolling along with both front doors strapped open....

Cab interior had clever seats on the campers that made 2 singles or one double....

Using an up an over action both drivers and passenger seats moved to the middle to make a bench seat/double bed....

I used to leave it in bench seat format and was driving along with a mate in the passenger seat, doors open and no seat belts....
Hard round a right hand bend his seat (not locked in position) shifted left and spat him out of the door.... Only a good grip on screen pillar saved him lol.

As for the gearchange, I can recall the one that I once drove had a column change, was this standard on the CA?

I know we had several Vauxhall Victors at about the same time and they all had bench seats and column changes which were dire!!

bought one to learn to drive, £55, drove it for a year then it wouldn't start on test day , had to borrow a LH drive 2cv at the last minute . never come across umbrella handle gears before , and failed

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back