Steel Wheel in Portugal

Hymer Snobs

Just arrived in Braganca in Portugal and on the drive through Spain I dropped into one of the massive potholes that look just like a small puddle. Upshot is that one of my wheels got bent and is irreparable. So, fortunately I had a spare but I now have a spare tyre without a spare wheel to put it on. I'm sure that I could source a wheel, thankfully it's a steel not an alloy, in Portugal one way or another but I'm equally sure one of you will have already solved the problem; anyone have any bright ideas please? Thanks guys & gals.

one question for you .... if the wheel was that damaged, are you sure the tyre on it is still ok for sure? must have suffered significant stress I would have thought?

steel wheels can often be repaired also, so that could be a possible option?

one question for you .... if the wheel was that damaged, are you sure the tyre on it is still ok for sure? must have suffered significant stress I would have thought?

steel wheels can often be repaired also, so that could be a possible option?
You make good points but I went to a major tyre chain and they checked the tyre thoroughly and transferred the original tyre onto my spare to ensure I have all the same tyres on all wheels (my spare is a van tyre to get me out of trouble), the wheel itself is in a skip in Valladolid so even if they got it wrong, which they were pretty adamant they weren't, it's irretrievable as well as irreparable

Just arrived in Braganca in Portugal and on the drive through Spain I dropped into one of the massive potholes that look just like a small puddle. Upshot is that one of my wheels got bent and is irreparable. So, fortunately I had a spare but I now have a spare tyre without a spare wheel to put it on. I'm sure that I could source a wheel, thankfully it's a steel not an alloy, in Portugal one way or another but I'm equally sure one of you will have already solved the problem; anyone have any bright ideas please? Thanks guys & gals.
Breakers yard may help you.

Someone else on here had the same problem not to long ago an got their wheel locally
they ordered one from amazon but because of french farmers strike it was delayed they ended up getting a local one an just getting it fitted in time for ferry. surely someone else saw the thread @2cv or maybe @RoaminRog

Last edited:
they ordered one from amazon but because of french farmers strike it was delayed they ended up getting a local one an just getting it fitted in time for ferry. surely someone else saw the thread @2cv or maybe @RoaminRog

I had a similar problem after a blow out in Spain luckily my spare got me back home I managed to source a wheel on e bay , all good I thought , it turned out that there are a lot of wrong wheels out there , the wheel I bought was a new one from E Bay sold cheap though , I had a new tyre fitted at my local tyre shop and the wheel refitted, it was then that the difference was spotted, it was not possible to line the valve hole in the wheel trim up with the inflation valve so the tyre could not be inflated if the tyre goes soft, so I had the wheel put in the underslung cradle as a spare , I could live with a missing wheel trim in an emergency situation , I thought oh well I can always drill another hole in the plastic wheel trim, to expose the inflation valve , if the time ever came to need the spare, it wouldn't look too good I guess but I would not care about that too much, I have Steel wheels on the van, perhaps there are different wheel trims out there to solve this problem but I never bothered to search this .IMG_20230504_121013.jpgIMG_20230504_121028.jpg

I was in Braga, Portugal a month ago and these guys sorted out my puncture. They had a few motorhomes in the workshop so they might be able to sort you out a replacement: Pneus Oliveira. R. Manuel Carneiro nº35, 4705-100 Braga, Portugal +351 934 228 988.
Need Google Translate thought 😁

You've chosen a good country for the blowout.
Portuguese hourly rates are cheaper than most of the neighbouring countries.
Good luck, its all part of the adventure

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back