Stretching your legs!

We were only days away from going to France when the lock down started, so that is where we would like to go.Being the practical I think our first main trip will be Scotland.
How things are at the moment We will be happy if we can just have a trip to the countryside and go for a different walk than the one we have had from home the last few weeks. If we can put up with things and stay safe then we will still be here when things are more normal

Judging by all the replies so far, we might well stay at home. The one thing we try to avoid is crowds and busy roads etc but this might be virtually impossible. Our annual trip to the wilds of Spain for the winter months looks in jeopardy.

I have just spent 55 very enlightening minutes watching this, so is social distancing as vitally important as we are being led to believe?

:eek:
Would be good to know your 3 month trip. I can spend time looking it up and any questions I will be able to help:eek:

This was what we planned, do you know any of the places along the way, good stops, places to avoid? We were trying to see new places we missed on our previous trips through Italy, this time as far as possible sticking to the mountains in the middle except for a couple of detours to see some unmissables such as Pompei, Herculaneum, Venice etc on the first trip and exploring the Alpine valleys on the second.

Attachments

• 2020 Calendar.pdf
    93.2 KB · Views: 10
We love our trips to USA, but I think that these may not be possible for at least a couple of years.
Plenty to see and do in the beautiful United Kingdom. Can‘t wait to be back on the IOM for the tt, and resolve to visit Arran and the Western Isles. We had planned to be in Southern England for much of the summer, but maybe that trip will have to wait for next year.
That makes me very sad, it is a year since I saw my daughter, as my trip this year got cancelled and she is not likely to get here this year either!

I went for a drive in the motorhome yesterday.
It is now three feet to the right and five feet forward.
So now I can wash it all the way round.
And in a few days, I'll drive it back.
Can't get the car out with it where it is!

Just as a matter of interest, after we are free from this "Lockdown" how many people are considering continental travel? And, where are you intending too go? Personally I can't wait Portugal here I go!
Was meant to be on eurostar tomorrow 😂

We were on our back from Hungary one trip and decided to go into Italy, we had been before to Lake Guarda Milan and Venice so decide to head for TUSCANY spent a month wandering around, all very easy lots of Sostas free to stay over night, we then decided to carry on to Rome and Pisa which we did, we stayed on a great Sosta motorhome place for 3 nights almost in the centre of Rome and a bus stopped outside so getting into the City was easy, we took the City tour bus around Rome good decision as it was hop on hop off and we saw lots and wandered all over, as usual our trip to Italy was unplanned we just went and it was all so easy, I drove to the leaning tower in the van and just parked there we were there for about an hour when the cops noticed we were there and politely told us we must go, so I drove a couple of streets away and found a good parking spot and we walked back to the tower and did the tourist thing hee hee.

New Forest for me. I love being among the trees with the ponies around. I think it was 2017 when I was last there, 35 degrees in the shade, and two ponies standing beside each other nose to tail swishing their tales to either keep the flies off each others faces or to try and keep each other cool, and they were just about 2yds from my door. Wonderful. Also of course, real ale in the local village pub. None of your foreign beer there.

Nationals coming back to their own country is VERY different to tourists. And yes, I would not be surprised if any UK Nationals returning back to the UK will either have to show proof of vaccination AND a clear Covid-19 test OR be quarantined for 2 weeks (maybe have some kennels at the ports?)
Airports and Ports still bringing people in without tests! I have seen reports people coming in from India , back from cruises in the Caribbean no checks leaving the Caribbean, no checks coming into UK? A shambles!

2020 Nothing Leave motorhome in storage etc
It is a while since we toured within France.
That may be OK in 2021 otherwise UK (if allowed)
If not 2022 France
2023 Canada ??? all very iffy
Not planning just musing

If motor homes were made more welcome in the UK there are plenty of beautiful places to visit , but unfortunately it doesn't happen , unlike most countries in Europe were you are treated with open arms .I hope to get to Poland in September or if that's not possible maybe Spain in November .

I'm afraid this post may well upset a few but I have to write it................... It would appear from this topic that most are either retired with nice pensions or are wealthy enough to be able to even consider going away for any period of time exceeding 3 weeks! Please spare a thought for those of us who even before the virus outbreak could only take 5 weeks holiday a year but now find we might have to sell our beloved camper to survive. My wife is an NHS community nurse who reduced her hours and at the age of 60 is worn out since the virus outbreak, and since the company I used to work for went bust in April 2019, as a self-employed architectural technologist (whose work has dried up due to social distancing etc) I do not have enough accounts to get the gov. grant or UC; in other words not a penny coming in from me. Work was fine and I was hoping to retire in couple of years with the wife but now with no work and since my personal pension pot has now been slashed by around 20% I will have to continue working somehow (perhaps shelf stacking) for the next 4 years till I get gov. pension and possibly beyond. I'm one of those Rishi Sunak is unfortunately using as collateral damage! Therefore it is highly unlikely we can even consider any form of holiday for some considerable time......................I hope you understand where I am coming from - sorry but it's quite upsetting reading these posts where folk are looking at months away in Europe.

Not good at all Jim. I hope you manage. As you say some/many on here (me included) are retired and in the main I dare to suggest comfortably off.
There must be tens of thousands (maybe more) like you and your wife. Simply best wishes !
The only upset if that the government cannot do more.
I am quite mentally prepared for the economic fallout which will come.
More Taxes and higher prices being the obvious ones.
I also suggest all holiday related costs will balloon and maybe incur extra taxation.

Not good at all Jim. I hope you manage. As you say some/many on here (me included) are retired and in the main I dare to suggest comfortably off.
There must be tens of thousands (maybe more) like you and your wife. Simply best wishes !
The only upset if that the government cannot do more.
I am quite mentally prepared for the economic fallout which will come.
More Taxes and higher prices being the obvious ones.
I also suggest all holiday related costs will balloon and maybe incur extra taxation.
Thank you.

Thankfully we are pretty good and mentally aware and always able to cope in a crisis. We are a spontaneous small family with never a fixed diary/agenda. As an example 2 years ago my 91 year old aunt suffered a big stroke and was admitted to hospital. My brother; who lives in Reading and is very OCD on things (dotting i's and crossing t's) called to tell me mid-afternoon and said he'd go to the hospital the following morning once he worked out what he was doing and they'd settled her in, but whilst he was on phone my wife had already packed an overnight bag and some food and put in my car. After a few choice words to my older brother about the need for someone to be there I was on the 5 hour drive to Bristol arriving early evening at the hospital where I stayed for 5 hours! She did survive!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back