Stuck in Alicante

RoaminRog

Our members Trandy, (Tracy and Andy) are stuck in Alicante. They have suffered a series of blowouts, which has resulted in their last wheel being damaged and unable to be used. They have located a wheel in Holland and this is being shipped as I speak. It should arrive tomorrow (Thursday) all being well and then the tyre will have to be fitted before they can come home.
The problem is their 90 days are up tomorrow and they are worried about having problems at the Border if they are a few days late.
I suggested they speak to the British Consulate in Alicante and explain their predicament, which they did, but they were worse than useless and simply said they would have to speak to the Police in France.
It would be nice if we could find out who to speak to before reaching the Border, so they may explain that being late is not of their doing.
Can anybody offer practical advice please.

Rog, have Trandy take images to back up and to help explain their predicament at border control, also any paperwork wheel shipping etc.

Pity Consulate could not offer more help, at least a backup letter. Boils ma pea we pay for these useless civil servants.

Quite agree Terry. Yes they have all the receipts etc, it’s just the hassle they might incur if the Gendarmes decide they can only speak French.

Quite agree Terry. Yes they have all the receipts etc, it’s just the hassle they might incur if the Gendarmes decide they can only speak French.
If there is time and you want, have Trandy draught a letter, send to my forum mailbox, I'll have Bea translate to French. There is google translate, I'm not so sure the translation can be accurate?

I'm sure for many reasons people miss the 90 day rule by a bit. Think the main thing here is they have proof of why so to me should not be a problem. If all else fails just shrug the shoulders🤣

Won't be gendarmes, Rog, it's a matter for the Border Guards, and if they have to verify/interrogate Trandy, they will have to do so in English if the latter have no/insufficient French. The Technical Manual for the Guards states clearly that there is a presumption of innocence, that the Border Guard (and Supervisor) must display their badge numbers, and must give their names and the purpose of the verification (which will be away from the Passport booth)

For the Guards, it's an everyday event, and they don't need the grief of a confrontation. If Trandy do their best to explain what happened, and can produce garage receipts and any other evidence of their stranding, they are unlikely to face formal sanctions. They may have to cope with a ' next time, leave a margin for these problems' lecture, but not the end of the world.

There may be a few late arrivals at Ferry ports whilst the French Farmers and associates blockade autoroutes, especially with the Belgian and Spanish Farmers joining in the disruption ...

Steve

Be nice if We got told how this turned out anyone of us could be in the same situation at some point

Incredible to believe being in Spain, and awaiting a replacement from Holland, crazy!!

I hope they get sorted soon 👍

Amazon have wheels with or with out tyres 4 day delivery you'd need to check if they'd ship them to a drop box over there

Incredible to believe being in Spain, and awaiting a replacement from Holland, crazy!!

I hope they get sorted soon 👍
Thanks Terry, talking to them on the phone this evening, they’re hoping to get under way tomorrow. It seems they have two wheels arriving, the one from Holland and one from a local source. They would like both wheels so they have a spare for the journey home. They can’t arrange a new ferry crossing until they know when realistically they will arrive at Dieppe. Then, of course, they may have the delay with Border Force……

Any further hassle rog give me a shout if I can assist
You’re very kind Gordon, but let’s see what transpires tomorrow. I am able to follow their progress on Googlemaps, so will keep an eye on them, when they do finally get rolling.

Thanks Terry, talking to them on the phone this evening, they’re hoping to get under way tomorrow. It seems they have two wheels arriving, the one from Holland and one from a local source. They would like both wheels so they have a spare for the journey home. They can’t arrange a new ferry crossing until they know when realistically they will arrive at Dieppe. Then, of course, they may have the delay with Border Force……
There is a world of difference, Rog, between UK Border Force ('We make no apologies for delays caused by checks to keep our borders secure', as near verbatim as I can remember), and EU Border Guards instructions ('There is a presumption of innocence, and remember, the vast majority are citizens going about their daily business, including holidays', again, as near verbatim as I can remember)

There may be a slight delay in verifying Trandy's explanation for the delayed return to UK (where they will be deported to, IF the explanation is rejected, so there appears to be little for France to gain by paying for the deportation when Trandy have paid for tickets ...), but arriving at Dieppe in good time and speaking to DFDS staff, asking them to contact the Border Guards before the gates open, so that there shouldn't be a delay once Passport Control opens for the loading, could reduce the anxiety considerably

I had a concern on our first trip post COVID at Newhaven (forget why, nothing to do with coffee!), and spoke to DFDS staff, who contacted the UK Border Force. A Border Force Manager arrived 5 minutes or so later, checked my paperwork (may have been the Declaration sur l'honneur) and said the handwritten version was acceptable, told me not to worry, and thanked me for raising the issue before the loading queue formed

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back