Stuck in Alicante

They are on four wheels now, but are still waiting for the wheel to arrive from Holland. It’s coming by DHL but I think the protest in Paris may be holding things up. They don’t really want to set out until it comes because it means travelling with no spare wheel. They are preparing to sit it out tomorrow in the hope that it turns up.🤞

Roger, I know any of us can get a puncture, even fubar the rim, is there any advice you can offer on the state of Spanish road net work?

Not been for a couple of years Terry, our big trip earlier last year was to Italy, and the roads there were abysmal. Motorways, single carriageways Rural, Urban, no matter they are all covered in pot holes. Basically had to replace all four tyres at some point in the 90 day trip. Not funny. Don’t know about Spain, sorry.

Roger, I know any of us can get a puncture, even fubar the rim, is there any advice you can offer on the state of Spanish road net work?
We're in Spain now, Terry. Used AP7, AP2 & AP68, plus N340 mainly, for over 1500 miles so far. Road surfaces good, although a couple of small potholes. Not as bad as British motorways for either potholes or 'lorry tracks'

Steve

Oops sorry, I assumed you were with them with you creating the thread. Me bad 😵‍💫

Our members Trandy, (Tracy and Andy) are stuck in Alicante. They have suffered a series of blowouts, which has resulted in their last wheel being damaged and unable to be used. They have located a wheel in Holland and this is being shipped as I speak. It should arrive tomorrow (Thursday) all being well and then the tyre will have to be fitted before they can come home.
The problem is their 90 days are up tomorrow and they are worried about having problems at the Border if they are a few days late.
I suggested they speak to the British Consulate in Alicante and explain their predicament, which they did, but they were worse than useless and simply said they would have to speak to the Police in France.
It would be nice if we could find out who to speak to before reaching the Border, so they may explain that being late is not of their doing.
Can anybody offer practical advice please.
We had a rear tyre blow out homeward from Portugal last year wrecked the wheel too also damaged the inner rear wheel arch long story short, Police got us to a safe place, I had to drive the van sloooowly for about 800 metres and there was a tyre bay there I have a spare wheel underslung at the rear of my van so that saved the day for us, I spoke to the border force guy at Cslais and asked him what would have happened had we exceeded our 90 days in this situation and he said it would have been OK as we had good reason to be delayed , luckily we were OK for time on our trip but it proves you can never predict what is around the corner,

We had a rear tyre blow out homeward from Portugal last year wrecked the wheel too also damaged the inner rear wheel arch long story short, Police got us to a safe place, I had to drive the van sloooowly for about 800 metres and there was a tyre bay there I have a spare wheel underslung at the rear of my van so that saved the day for us, I spoke to the border force guy at Cslais and asked him what would have happened had we exceeded our 90 days in this situation and he said it would have been OK as we had good reason to be delayed , luckily we were OK for time on our trip but it proves you can never predict what is around the corner,
Thank you, that’s what we like to hear, all encouraging stuff.
The wheel from Holland is stuck in France, so they are going to buy another one on Monday and start making their way back. They have a small oil leak from the axle which they are going to get looked at before they leave. Looking at a Friday ferry now.

AS a rule of thumb alloy wheels dont disform from running a flat tyre, steel wheels do and big time, however a alloy can have chunks knocked out of it on potholes, also always look at ball joints and t rod ends if you have frontal damaged rims.

Could they not have kept one of the alloys as a spare Rog, opposite of what I do?

Don’t know Neil. I’ve not been with them on the trip, but if I know Andy, he works too hard for his money to even think about wasting it. I think all the bad luck has driven them to distraction, and all they want to do now is get home safely.

Don’t know Neil. I’ve not been with them on the trip, but if I know Andy, he works too hard for his money to even think about wasting it. I think all the bad luck has driven them to distraction, and all they want to do now is get home safely.
May be worth asking if they thought about it Rog. They may think all rims have to be the same

As an update, they have bought a spare wheel from a garage just down the road, and the wheel from Holland arrived a few minutes later. So now they have spare wheels coming out of their ears! They are planning to start the journey home very shortly. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Andy and Tracy are waiting at Dieppe ferry terminal to board the 6 o’clock ferry to Newhaven. They apologised for going over the 90 days and showed the Border guards all their receipts and paperwork to back up their story.
They were allowed through after it was explained to them that normally it would have been a 200€ fine each for the contravention. So now we all know the cost of missing the deadline.
They have driven from Zaragoza to Dieppe in two driving days! Complete stars! Thanks for all your input👍👍👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back