Syncromesh problem

cobraman

Free Member

Hi,
I have a Autocruise Valentine motorhome based on a Peugot 1.9 turbodiesel. Its a 1999 model. Problem is that it has developed a crunch on changing from 4th to 5th gear. Double declutching does resolve the problem but not ideal form me as I lose revs between gears. "Someone" told me that these models have a bolt on 5th gear that possibly allows changing the 5th gear withiut removal of gearbox. Not a mechanic, but even to me this sounds an unlikely possibility.anyone out there heard about this problem and possible solution

Thanks,

Graham (Cobraman)

Sounds like a damaged synchromesh ring. If your clutch clearance is a bit too small there’s a very very slim chance it could be that. As to access with the box in situ, I’d do some research on the net, sounds unlikely. Sorry to be so negative!

Sounds like a damaged synchromesh ring. If your clutch clearance is a bit too small there’s a very very slim chance it could be that. As to access with the box in situ, I’d do some research on the net, sounds unlikely. Sorry to be so negative!
Hi Red Dwarf,
thanks for your reply.You could well be right as certainly I have to bury my foot into the floor to get the necessary clearance to place the car in gear. Strange thing is that changing down from 5th to 4th is no problem its just from 4th to 5th. As you suggest will do a bit more research
thanks ,
Graham

Hi Red Dwarf,
thanks for your reply.You could well be right as certainly I have to bury my foot into the floor to get the necessary clearance to place the car in gear. Strange thing is that changing down from 5th to 4th is no problem its just from 4th to 5th. As you suggest will do a bit more research
thanks ,
Graham
Ah, sounds like you may be lucky. Do get on it as continual use will damage the synchro ring. Good luck, hope you have a happy (and cheap!) outcome!

I know there was a problem with early Ducato vans around that age that had a problem with 5th gear wearing because of insufficient lubrication. 5th gear was accessed behind a bolt on panel and can be changed, together with a modification to assist lubrication, with the gearbox in situ. I would assume the gears synchro ring can also be replaced at the same time, but if you do a search online, you should be able to find details of the modification with instructions on how to do it.
Assuming, of course, that your Peugeot has a similar gearbox.

Hi,
I have a Autocruise Valentine motorhome based on a Peugot 1.9 turbodiesel. Its a 1999 model. Problem is that it has developed a crunch on changing from 4th to 5th gear. Double declutching does resolve the problem but not ideal form me as I lose revs between gears. "Someone" told me that these models have a bolt on 5th gear that possibly allows changing the 5th gear withiut removal of gearbox. Not a mechanic, but even to me this sounds an unlikely possibility.anyone out there heard about this problem and possible solution

Thanks,

Graham (Cobraman)
My 1999 Ducato 2.8idtd 5th gear failed due to oil starvation (kept jumping out of 5th only) , found a chap who replaced it with a 5th gear/syncro set , the gearbox didnt need to come out as if you look behind the nsf wheel the end plate of the box is there , 2 hour job

If cable clutch look at free play, as other say change oil, and i thing there is a side plug which lets you add extra oil, my second gear is a bit like that when cold because she was started in second as first was to low before i ramped the diff up.

Last edited:
Complete numpty here mechanically...but first post rang a bell with me! Our Citroen berlingo slips when changing gear, usually only in high gear and when accelerating. It doesn't crunch or make any noise, just doesn't engage. We are fairly new to the area and have taken it to two garages... one wants to replace the gearbox and clutch, the other the clutch. The garage we usually use is an ex council one and doesn't do many repairs mainly mot, and he said something about the synchromesh. The car is 2011 with 94000 so quite accepting we need to spend but not if unecessary. Any opinions which we can quote at the garage would be appreciated!! The first one, I felt was maybe trying to add as much as possible!

We had a Citroen dispatch with vague gear selection. Turned out it was a steel plate on the gear box holding a plastic bush. The plate had split and was only just holding the bush. Welded up the plate and transformed the gear selection.

Reactions: Rec
You're never the first to have a particular vehicle issue, as already said the answer is likely online.

Complete numpty here mechanically...but first post rang a bell with me! Our Citroen berlingo slips when changing gear, usually only in high gear and when accelerating. It doesn't crunch or make any noise, just doesn't engage. We are fairly new to the area and have taken it to two garages... one wants to replace the gearbox and clutch, the other the clutch. The garage we usually use is an ex council one and doesn't do many repairs mainly mot, and he said something about the synchromesh. The car is 2011 with 94000 so quite accepting we need to spend but not if unecessary. Any opinions which we can quote at the garage would be appreciated!! The first one, I felt was maybe trying to add as much as possible!
Clutch.

Thanks for all your advice. Interestingly on looking back at old bills from previous owners it looks like the balk rings on 2nd and 3rd gears were replaced on the gearbox at 22K miles then a replacement gearbox was fitted at 25K miles!
Not looking like a good gearbox as I have got the mileage up to only 47K.
It is a cable clutch so looking at all the advice I think I will first replace with new oil making sure to add extra oil then look at possible clutch adjustment . If still not working then a trip to the garage to see if a 5th gear and syncro can be replaced without gearbox removal. If not possible than delve deeper into my pocket or improve my double declutching skill.
thanks to everyone for the advice

Please keep us posted how you get on. Refurbed gearbox at 12,500 miles, just over 12 months later it started the crunching again. Now over 50,000 and still going. Tried oil and clutch adjustment but nothing helped...hope you have more luck,

My 1999 Ducato 2.8idtd 5th gear failed due to oil starvation (kept jumping out of 5th only) , found a chap who replaced it with a 5th gear/syncro set , the gearbox didnt need to come out as if you look behind the nsf wheel the end plate of the box is there , 2 hour job
Yes nearly all these 5th years are an 'add on' to a 4 speed box inside a tin cover.
Access is really easy and changing syncrho rings fairly simple.

I have the same engine and gearbox in my 1999 Auto homes Wildwind the correct oil for the gearbox is 75W 80 another trick is make shore the carpet if fitted has not slid forward and stopping the clutch pedal going full travel.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back