Talbot Express Petrol reg 1989 - Comments - Also posted on wildcamping

RAW

Dear All

Just seen a low mileage (80K) Talbot Express Petrol reg 1989 with Petrol 1971CC Engine

All looks good inside and outside, just wondering if anyone has one of these or experience of them and wishes to make any comments or contributions to my potential purchasing decision.

Thanks in advance

Robert
help.gif

Ours rusted out round the base and sides of the windscreen, so have a good look there.

Thanks Edina, It is a Fibreglass shell and was wondering about replacing or modifying Windows as Single glazed, not much rust at bottom that I could see. Bit concerned about MPG as quick look on internet shows 12-14 !!

I once had an H reg Talbot motorhome but it had a diesel engine so I won't comment on MPG, but re the bodywork - it's the cab that needs to be checked carefully for rust, holes, leaks etc. The coachbuilt body may be a fibreglass shell but the cab will be the Talbot original, unless it is an A Class.
Mine had no power steering and it was heavy, but you're probably stronger than me and the petrol is probably lighter than the diesel. It may have been added by a previous owner.

Dear All

Thanks for the comments so far. I looked here re MPG
http://www.fuelly.com/car/talbot/express/1989/

I have asked on best price and it seems reasonable.
The newest owner has hardly used the Van in the 18 months they have had it and the only rust I spotted at the front was where the cover is for the gear lever through cab floor

There was a lot of work done in the last service and to be frank with the interior there did not seem that much use in appliances like the Cooker and the Fridge.

Another slight concern was the single glazing throughout but I think I could fix some secondary over it.

Yes it has no Power Steering, back to the old days LOL

Thanks for the input so far from you folks above.
(y)
Robert

Ask on tablotoc, somebody on there fits power steering to talbots for a couple of hundred quid.

Can I suggest you check the MOT history on the DVLA website? That will tell you what sort of work has been carried out including any welding. I would imagine that most vans of that age will have had some welding.
Good luck.

Regards,
Del

Personally I found lack of power steering in my old Merc to be a good thing,you get real feedback from the road and the only time it was noticeably heavy was getting out of tight parking spaces,but no real bother,just takes a bit more time and effort. The power steering in my truck is terrible,every time I ogle at a view or a particularly nice caboose,I start drifting immediately,no feedback from the wheel whatsoever.
I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker,and after driving for a while you'll probably start to appreciate it.

Dear All

Thanks for the comments so far. I looked here re MPG
http://www.fuelly.com/car/talbot/express/1989/

I have asked on best price and it seems reasonable.
The newest owner has hardly used the Van in the 18 months they have had it and the only rust I spotted at the front was where the cover is for the gear lever through cab floor

There was a lot of work done in the last service and to be frank with the interior there did not seem that much use in appliances like the Cooker and the Fridge.

Another slight concern was the single glazing throughout but I think I could fix some secondary over it.

Yes it has no Power Steering, back to the old days LOL

Thanks for the input so far from you folks above.
(y)
Robert

I had an old Talbot and looked on Ebay and a guy in Stratford Upon Avon fits electric power steering for about £600 at the time....knackered driving there with no power steering but the next day
, turning the wheel with one finger...superb!

Reactions: RAW
I had an old Talbot and looked on Ebay and a guy in Stratford Upon Avon fits electric power steering for about £600 at the time....knackered driving there with no power steering but the next day
, turning the wheel with one finger...superb!

I have saved the seller, and this is the item I think you mean
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talbot-E...at-Ducato-Peugeot-J5-Citroen-C25/264253618460

I am contemplating it but going to drive the Van for a bit and see what she is like without and whether LPG conversion would be a better use of the ££$$

Is LPG definately suitable for the engine? I was going to get an LPG conversion on my 2005 RAV4 soon after I bought it but I found it was not suitable due to something (valve stems? can't recall exactly). Not all Petrol Motors can be done.

These people that I spoke to in Rochdale, briefly, seemed very knowledgeable so I am sure they would know if the engine could be done. I think it's a fairly simple 8 Cylinder Peugeot Petrol engine with a Carburetor and no injectors, it is quite a simple process apparently with Carburetors as just involves dumping the LPG into the Carb some how
http://www.pioneergasltd.co.uk/

I have saved the seller, and this is the item I think you mean
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talbot-E...at-Ducato-Peugeot-J5-Citroen-C25/264253618460

I am contemplating it but going to drive the Van for a bit and see what she is like without and whether LPG conversion would be a better use of the ££$$

Hope you have strong muscles lol.... driving motorways and A roads was fine but around villages and towns was a real pain. If you book in to have it done, you can go down the day before and he will give you ehu and stay the night. Next day, move motorhome over to his workshop, leave it there for him to work his magic and have a day out in Stratford. Lovely walks and shops...we went on a small cruise and totally chilled out. Went back and picked it up to head home and it was pure heaven.

I still drive an 89 fiat Ducato without power steering yes it is hard work parking in tight spots but once rolling I prefer it .much more road feel.

Hope you have strong muscles lol.... driving motorways and A roads was fine but around villages and towns was a real pain. If you book in to have it done, you can go down the day before and he will give you ehu.....

Thanks Dave, what's ehu ??

Until last summer I had a 1972 Talbot Express Capri 530 (diesel) and agree with Asterix, once you're motoring the lack of power steering is not a problem but manoeuvring at very slow speed is hard work - but I am only just over 5 feet tall and less that 7.5 stone and am not over-endowed in the muscle department! The main issues I had with mine were one of the top rooflights shattered (literally fell apart in a high wind) and, not able to buy a replacement, I ended up just sticking it all back together with clear duck tape; same problem with the rear (kitchen area in mine) window which split and was again patched up with duck tape. It was also single glazed so more difficult to keep warm. Having said all that I loved that van!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back