thank you david ( wildebus )

rugbyken

when talking with david about trying to run my fridge of my batteries with the big solar panel i’d fitted he just said i’ll knock you up a relay to do that, then when i wanted to put a lithium in the van but toooo tight to get more than one he made up a hybrid charging device that lets me pair a lithium with a lead carbon , on first thoughts it’s spending pounds to save pennies but over the last 16 days i’ve ran my big fridge freezer through my inverter for 8-9 hrs a day recharged the batteries on the dyson + hairdyers & toasters etc last filled up with gas on the 19th 16 days later i topped up my two gaslo tanks with 17ltrs of gas normally i would use a full bottle over 10 days so it’s almost doubled the life of my gas bottles

He’s pretty good at stuff. Isn’t he.
My set up is similar to Ken’s.
I’d like to try the fridge relay myself. Plus, when driving, and on good sunny days, my batteries are full long before the sun goes down. I’d like to use the surplus solar/ B2B power to heat the water in the Truma, through the inverter.

While we’re on the subject, apart from the silly problem I had charging my Lead acid*, that David talked me through, over the phone👍
The hybrid system David put in worked flawlessly for the eight weeks I was away.
I’d recommend David’s Hybrid solution to anyone who would want to put a foot in the world of lithium, without breaking the bank.
* The cheap n nasty Chinese on/off switch I had put in, on the lead acid side, failed

that american boater guy on you tube explained it perfectly when the brain in the lithium says no no too much the lead comes in & does the heavy lifting it’s been great when the portugese sun is strongest i'm sure i could probably run my fridge 24/7 but i’ve only got a 370w panel & though that gave me 1.91 kw on its best day any less than 90% of that i would prob struggle

He’s pretty good at stuff. Isn’t he.
My set up is similar to Ken’s.
I’d like to try the fridge relay myself. Plus, when driving, and on good sunny days, my batteries are full long before the sun goes down. I’d like to use the surplus solar/ B2B power to heat the water in the Truma, through the inverter.

While we’re on the subject, apart from the silly problem I had charging my Lead acid*, that David talked me through, over the phone👍
The hybrid system David put in worked flawlessly for the eight weeks I was away.
I’d recommend David’s Hybrid solution to anyone who would want to put a foot in the world of lithium, without breaking the bank.
* The cheap n nasty Chinese on/off switch I had put in, on the lead acid side, failed
The 240V SSR I fitted in Kens van could just as easily be connected to the AC Water Heater (or if you had a DC Water Heater element, a normal DC Relay) and so use the excess power for the water.
I have an Electric Only Fridge in my Motorhome and so I divert any excess Harvesting to the 850W Truma Ultrastore Water Heater :)
You could actually connect to both devices together (assuming Inverter could cope) as thermostats in both Fridge and Heater would not use power if not needed.

The 240V SSR I fitted in Kens van could just as easily be connected to the AC Water Heater (or if you had a DC Water Heater element, a normal DC Relay) and so use the excess power for the water.
I have an Electric Only Fridge in my Motorhome and so I divert any excess Harvesting to the 850W Truma Ultrastore Water Heater :)
You could actually connect to both devices together (assuming Inverter could cope) as thermostats in both Fridge and Heater would not use power if not needed.
Can this relay be used on a lithium only setup to power the fridge?

Regards,
Del

Can this relay be used on a lithium only setup to power the fridge?

Regards,
Del
Type of battery doesn't matter. I did Ken's initial relay setup when he was just running a pair of Lead Acids.
In the case of Ken's setup, it is automated so it goes on and off depending on the amount of charge in the battery, so you need a relay that can be controlled by the State of Charge (in his case a Victron BMV). In my own setup, I use the relay within the Victron Cerbo GX, again controlled by battery State of Charge.

that american boater guy on you tube explained it perfectly when the brain in the lithium says no no too much the lead comes in & does the heavy lifting it’s been great when the portugese sun is strongest i'm sure i could probably run my fridge 24/7 but i’ve only got a 370w panel & though that gave me 1.91 kw on its best day any less than 90% of that i would prob struggle
If anyone is interested.That American boater guy, Ken mentioned, is………
Emily and Clark’s Adventures, on YouTube.
Worth a watch, if only to see how the other half live.😬

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back