Thank you to a very kind lady

wildebus

I've no idea if she is a member here or someone on the forum will know this lady, but on the off-chance ....

I went out shopping today this afternoon to LIDL in Kelso, but couldn't find my wallet, so picked up some cash instead as didn't plan on a very big shop anyway.
Best laid plans and all that, had £40 in my pocket but ended up with just under £60 of stuff in the trolley! It can be pretty hard to spend over £50 at LIDL even if you try, so a bit of a shocker to hit £60!
Well, just started taking out stuff from the bags to reduce the bill and the lady in the queue behind me passed £20 to the cashier on the till to cover the difference :oops:, and despite me trying to turn it down, she insisted and wouldn't give me her name or address to return the money later!

I really was very touched and thought it was so nice to happen across such generous people 🥰. She just say 'pay it forward' and I certainly will be doing so (y)(y)

Every item going into my basket is counted on calculator so always know price at till,i like catching them out when they over charge or put stuff down twice,a nice thing to do paying forward but if you did that here there would be a que shouting me me next.

Every item going into my basket is counted on calculator so always know price at till,i like catching them out when they over charge or put stuff down twice,a nice thing to do paying forward but if you did that here there would be a que shouting me me next.
I have used those Hand-held scanners occasionally that some shops have and they are handy to both keep a running total and check the prices (Bookers Cash and Carry use them now and they feed what you scanned into the till to generate the reciept rather than scanning everything again)

I have used those Hand-held scanners occasionally that some shops have and they are handy to both keep a running total and check the prices (Bookers Cash and Carry use them now and they feed what you scanned into the till to generate the reciept rather than scanning everything again)
Used to have those in Tesco but suspect not at the moment..... haven't been to Tesco for months!

The self scan system is very much promoted in Chinese lurgy situation, at Sains and Tesc I use always much quicker than Q ing :)

We did exactly the same in Tescos long before Covid it was an old man and his card was rejected he was a bit dismayed as he was asking the cashier to try again as his pension should have gone in on the that day but as it turns out he was a day early and rather than have him go home and come back the following day I just passed the cashier my card it was only something like £28 so was nothing really until the old guy started crying and thanking us bit embarrassing really.

Used to have those in Tesco but suspect not at the moment..... haven't been to Tesco for months!
They have them in Tesco I always use them always have saves handling your shopping twice unless it flags up a check where they check ten items to see if you have missed scanning anything.

We did exactly the same in Tescos long before Covid it was an old man and his card was rejected he was a bit dismayed as he was asking the cashier to try again as his pension should have gone in on the that day but as it turns out he was a day early and rather than have him go home and come back the following day I just passed the cashier my card it was only something like £28 so was nothing really until the old guy started crying and thanking us bit embarrassing really.
I never see these situations! Lovely to pass it forward in this way. I can imagine potential embarrassment though, as you experienced, Annie. The nearest I ever got was finding a ten pound note on the ground and passing it to a lady selling cakes for Macmillan outside the post office......even then she insisted on giving Dave a slice of cake! And that was no expense to us, so doesn't really count.

In my experience a kind gesture is reciprocated. It may not happen instantly, it may not be the same person who reciprocates - but it will happen.
I'm a strong believer in 'What Goes Round Comes Round'.
Some time ago I was driving to the former GDR for Xmas. The weather was awful, with heavy snow in Kent, France, Belgium, Netherlands - and Germany. A few kilometres south of Hamburg we pulled into a service station and filled the car with diesel and ourselves with bratwurst. On our way back to the car we were approached by a distraught young man pretty much in panic mode. He was driving back to his parents house for Xmas and had lost his wallet so couldn't buy fuel to finish his journey - another 200km or so. He was so embarrassed. He asked if we could 'lend' him some money for fuel and offered us his watch in return.
I declined the watch but gave him enough money to fill his car and buy coffee and a meal - the weather really was grim and he certainly needed something hot!
He found this really difficult to cope with, but I explained that these things can happen to anyone and, should it happen to one of my children, I'd want someone to help them.
We eventually agreed a compromise. He accepted the cash and also took my phone number and said he'd call me once at his parents house.
We parted company and I didn't expect to hear from him again.
Over the Xmas holiday he called to once again thank me profusely and to arrange repayment of the (as he put it) 'loan'. We had the same conversation as before and we finally agreed that, should the opportunity arise he would 'Pass It On'.
Since then lots of kindness has been shown me. A few opportunities have arisen where I could help others.
So why the long story?
Well, I'd forgotten about the incident with the young man until two days ago when I opened my front door to find that someone had left a rather nice, pristine paraffin blow lamp for me on my doorstep. No note, no clues, but someone had been incredibly kind, thoughtful and generous towards me. The blowlamp will join my collection of paraffinalia.
The time interval between the fuel crisis and the blowlamp was...............30 years.
As I said, 'What Goes Round Comes Round'

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I never see these situations! Lovely to pass it forward in this way. I can imagine potential embarrassment though, as you experienced, Annie. The nearest I ever got was finding a ten pound note on the ground and passing it to a lady selling cakes for Macmillan outside the post office......even then she insisted on giving Dave a slice of cake! And that was no expense to us, so doesn't really count.
I’m a firm believer in Paying it forward the old guy probably fought in the war so I wouldn’t expect him to pay it forward as he will have payed his dues ten fold. 👍

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back