The Bread and Baking Thread

The latest loaf is a sourdough with my favourite additions of pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds:

View attachment 54973

I think that I got hooked on this combination in Germany many years ago and it's obviously stayed with me.
The ambient temperature is higher now and I'm finding that the dough is rising and proving faster. I'm not sure if that affects the crumb but the texture seems more open to me:

View attachment 54974

In any case I'm looking forward to eating it!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
Hi Colin how did your loaf taste. Looks great

Hi Colin how did your loaf taste. Looks great

I gave half of the loaf to my neighbour, who has given me a few lettuces and some spinach over the past couple of weeks.
Some of my half was great with smoked mackerel, vintage cheddar and tomatoes - though not all on the same slice!
So yes, I'm a happy bunny with bread making right now. I know what goes into it and I feel that it tastes a lot better than the commercial product.
The 14 year old oven in the Moho has never been lit. When I restart using the Moho in anger I'm wondering if its time has come. It's initiation ceremony could possibly include bread dough!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
Today I felt the need for a bake.
The result is a coffee, walnut and glacé cherry soda loaf:

IMG_20200629_165848.jpg

It went down rather well still warm from the oven with a cup of good coffee!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

B421F149-B3DA-4BAB-9B0A-AA2BFB971026.jpeg

Well, finally found the time and inspiration to have a go at this bread making game.
This is my first attempt, it’s a soda bread with ground walnuts. If it goes down well, I will play around with a few more adventurous ingredients. Feeling quite pleased with myself, thanks for the basic recipe Colin.

View attachment 54996View attachment 54996
Well, finally found the time and inspiration to have a go at this bread making game.
This is my first attempt, it’s a soda bread with ground walnuts. If it goes down well, I will play around with a few more adventurous ingredients. Feeling quite pleased with myself, thanks for the basic recipe Colin.

That looks really, really good, Rog!
Well done - and please post a photo of the inside and let us know if the taste of soda bread works for you.
First loaf? I'm impressed.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Reactions: 2cv
View attachment 54997I
I think maybe it should have stayed in the oven for a few minutes longer, not quite sure if it’s cooked all the way through.
Smells nice though!

There's not much to beat the smell of fresh baked bread, Rog. Especially if you're the baker!
The trick to check if the centre is cooked is to use a skewer (I use a stainless steel kebab skewer, some folks swear by wooden skewers) inserted into the centre of the loaf (or cake). If, upon withdrawing, it's got uncooked mixture on it, then back in the oven until it hasn't!
You've achieved a nice open texture (crumb).
If you find it's not cooked enough, then toast it - we've all been there!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

There's not much to beat the smell of fresh baked bread, Rog. Especially if you're the baker!
The trick to check if the centre is cooked is to use a skewer (I use a stainless steel kebab skewer, some folks swear by wooden skewers) inserted into the centre of the loaf (or cake). If, upon withdrawing, it's got uncooked mixture on it, then back in the oven until it hasn't!
You've achieved a nice open texture (crumb).

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
Thanks Colin, I will remember that tip!
At the moment, I’m just slicing and toasting it, and of course loads of butter to boot! Really quite nice.👍

Susie would like to try this one day. How much of each did you put in and what sort of coffee?

Basic soda bread recipe at post #225 plus:

60g walnuts
60g glacé cherries
4 tablespoons instant coffee granules dissolved in the 375ml water (I used real coffee in the last loaf but decided to try instant this time and it's OK)
130g golden sugar (I don't have a sweet tooth but I thought that the bitterness of the coffee would need it - the result suits me)
1 tablespoon mixed spice.

I don't have my notes to hand at the moment but will check tomorrow and update this post if needed.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

60g walnuts
60g glacé cherries
4 tablespoons instant coffee granules dissolved in the 375ml water (I used real coffee in the last loaf but decided to try instant this time and it's OK)
130g golden sugar (I don't have a sweet tooth but I thought that the bitterness of the coffee would need it - the result suits me)

I don't have my notes to hand at the moment but will check tomorrow and update this post if needed.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Thanks for that Colin. Do you still add the vinegar of the basic recipe when making this one?

Thanks for that Colin. Do you still add the vinegar of the basic recipe when making this one?

Yes, the recipe in post #225.
I dissolved the coffee in the water and white wine vinegar.
I mixed all the dry ingredients thoroughly together before mixing wet with dry and baking.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

• Thank You
Reactions: 2cv
Yes, the recipe in post #225.
I dissolved the coffee in the water and white wine vinegar.
I mixed all the dry ingredients thoroughly together before mixing wet with dry and baking.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Thanks again, Susie plans trying it as soon as we have some walnuts.

60g walnuts
60g glacé cherries

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

UPDATE:

I used ½ tablespoon of mixed spice, not 1 tablespoon as posted. The other ingredients and measures I used were as posted.
Apologies.
The coffee flavour of the loaf was not as strong as expected. I may use 5 tablespoons next time. This seems an awful lot of coffee and I'm wondering if the vinegar or bicarbonate of soda affects the coffee flavour.
The coffee I used was of the granular, freeze dried variety.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

UPDATE:

I used ½ tablespoon of mixed spice, not 1 tablespoon as posted. The other ingredients and measures I used were as posted.
Apologies.
The coffee flavour of the loaf was not as strong as expected. I may use 5 tablespoons next time. This seems an awful lot of coffee and I'm wondering if the vinegar or bicarbonate of soda affects the coffee flavour.
The coffee I used was of the granular, freeze dried variety.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Thanks Colin, Susie plans 4 tablespoons of Espresso powder as that’s a bit stronger. Just off to get some walnuts.

Thanks Colin, Susie plans 4 tablespoons of Espresso powder as that’s a bit stronger. Just off to get some walnuts.

Is 'Espresso powder' like instant coffee, Bill, or is it the ground coffee put in an espresso coffee maker?
I imagine that very finely ground coffee could be put in a loaf, whereas the cafetiere type coffee I normally use would be too granular and adversely affect the texture of the loaf.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Is 'Espresso powder' like instant coffee, Bill, or is it the ground coffee put in an espresso coffee maker?
I imagine that very finely ground coffee could be put in a loaf, whereas the cafetiere type coffee I normally use would be too granular and adversely affect the texture of the loaf.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

It’s like instant coffee, so hopefully shouldn’t affect the texture.

98B6AED7-83FC-4B50-B5A9-6467BBBD3DB1.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back