The Cake Making Thread

mariesnowgoose

We have a bread making thread, so why not a cake making thread?

Not sure how practical to do in a moho, but I'm about to have a go at this one at home :)

Torta Caprese (Chocolate and Almond Flourless Cake)
By Emiko

The famous dessert of the Island of Capri I've found, over the years of making this cake, is extremely forgiving. The almond meal, butter, chocolate and sugar should be equal in weight. This is the time to get out the digital scale, as it makes not only preparing this but also remembering it later so easy. I've done this with 85 grams of each and 3 eggs. Or 250 grams of each and 5-6 eggs. Once I only had 125 grams of almond meal and I simply used that as the proportion for the rest of the ingredients, along with 3 eggs. They only change the cake a little in height and size, but each has come out smooth and moist, almost fudgy. And, in fact, the last measurement is my favorite because in an 8 inch round pan, it comes out just over an inch tall, which I think makes for a good-sized sliver. If you like, you can add a splash of rum, some lemon or orange zest or (reminiscent of Elizabeth David's chocolate and almond cake, which closely resembles torta caprese) and a dash of strong coffee. You can also double these ingredients and bake them in a 10 inch pan for a slightly larger cake.

Serves 6
Prep time: 1 hrs
Cook time: 1 hrs
  • 125 grams (4.4 oz) blanched almonds (or almond meal)
  • 125 grams (4.4 oz) good quality dark chocolate (I use 70% cocoa)
  • 125 grams (4.4 oz or 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, chopped
  • 125 grams (4.4 oz or 1/2 cup) sugar
  • 3 large eggs, separated and left to come to room temperature
  • powdered sugar for dusting
  1. Grease and line a 20 cm or 8 inch round cake tin with baking paper (I like to use a springform tin or one with a removable base for this delicate cake) and preheat oven to 160ºC or 320ºF.
  2. If using whole blanched almonds, blitz them to a very fine, sandy texture in a food processor. Set aside.
  3. Place the chocolate, broken up, in a metal or glass bowl set over a bain marie (double broiler, or a pot of simmering water). When melted, remove the bowl from the heat and add the butter, stirring with a wooden spoon or silicon spatula to help it melt. Then add the sugar and the almond meal.
  4. Once the mixture is no longer hot, add the egg yolks and stir to combine with a wooden spoon. If adding any further ingredients (orange zest, rum, etc), stir them in now.
  5. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with beaters to soft, fluffy peaks. Fold the whites gently through the chocolate and almond batter.
  6. Pour the batter into the cake tin, smooth over the top and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the top appears dry and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs attached (not wet batter). It is important not to overcook this cake so that it retains its wonderful moist consistency. Let cool completely in the tin before handling.
  7. Dust with powdered sugar and, if desired, some lightly whipped cream. This cake keeps well for several days and is even better the next day.

Recipe I use a lot, the Portuguese neighbours love it! Old wartime recipe so no eggs or butter and vegan as a bonus. Kids love to make it as it's so easy.
Cock-eyed Cake ( don't ask me, it was my grandma's recipe!)
Cup & half SR flour
1/2 cup of sugar ( can use more...to taste)
Two tbspn cocoa
Level tspn bicarbonate soda
1tbspn vinegar
1cup water with tspn vanilla
5 tbspn oil

Mix it all together to make a thick batter.
Pour into a Swiss roll tin/ or into two sponge tins. I line the tins with baking paper
Bake about 20 mins 350 / gas 4(?) till it is springy to touch.
Cut into squares or two halves & sandwich together or as a two layer round cake

Very forgiving, I have had the gas stop halfway through cooking and it still came ok.
Top with melted chocolate or buttercream
Sandwich with cream & jam
Variations:
Add orange juice instead of water and add peel to mix
add Choc chips &/or nuts to mix

Have to say it just doesn't sound as yummy as Marie's, but it is a nice easy recipe!

Coconut date slices
cup SR flour
1/2 cup sugar
cup chopped dates
Cup coconut
Cup melted butter
1 beaten egg
Mix all together
Place in square tin about 8x8 bake 15-20 mins 350 mk4
Cut when cold. Sprinkle with sugar to taste

We have a bread making thread, so why not a cake making thread?

Not sure how practical to do in a moho, but I'm about to have a go at this one at home :)

Torta Caprese (Chocolate and Almond Flourless Cake)
By Emiko

The famous dessert of the Island of Capri I've found, over the years of making this cake, is extremely forgiving. The almond meal, butter, chocolate and sugar should be equal in weight. This is the time to get out the digital scale, as it makes not only preparing this but also remembering it later so easy. I've done this with 85 grams of each and 3 eggs. Or 250 grams of each and 5-6 eggs. Once I only had 125 grams of almond meal and I simply used that as the proportion for the rest of the ingredients, along with 3 eggs. They only change the cake a little in height and size, but each has come out smooth and moist, almost fudgy. And, in fact, the last measurement is my favorite because in an 8 inch round pan, it comes out just over an inch tall, which I think makes for a good-sized sliver. If you like, you can add a splash of rum, some lemon or orange zest or (reminiscent of Elizabeth David's chocolate and almond cake, which closely resembles torta caprese) and a dash of strong coffee. You can also double these ingredients and bake them in a 10 inch pan for a slightly larger cake.

Serves 6
Prep time: 1 hrs
Cook time: 1 hrs
  • 125 grams (4.4 oz) blanched almonds (or almond meal)
  • 125 grams (4.4 oz) good quality dark chocolate (I use 70% cocoa)
  • 125 grams (4.4 oz or 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, chopped
  • 125 grams (4.4 oz or 1/2 cup) sugar
  • 3 large eggs, separated and left to come to room temperature
  • powdered sugar for dusting
  1. Grease and line a 20 cm or 8 inch round cake tin with baking paper (I like to use a springform tin or one with a removable base for this delicate cake) and preheat oven to 160ºC or 320ºF.
  2. If using whole blanched almonds, blitz them to a very fine, sandy texture in a food processor. Set aside.
  3. Place the chocolate, broken up, in a metal or glass bowl set over a bain marie (double broiler, or a pot of simmering water). When melted, remove the bowl from the heat and add the butter, stirring with a wooden spoon or silicon spatula to help it melt. Then add the sugar and the almond meal.
  4. Once the mixture is no longer hot, add the egg yolks and stir to combine with a wooden spoon. If adding any further ingredients (orange zest, rum, etc), stir them in now.
  5. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with beaters to soft, fluffy peaks. Fold the whites gently through the chocolate and almond batter.
  6. Pour the batter into the cake tin, smooth over the top and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the top appears dry and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs attached (not wet batter). It is important not to overcook this cake so that it retains its wonderful moist consistency. Let cool completely in the tin before handling.
  7. Dust with powdered sugar and, if desired, some lightly whipped cream. This cake keeps well for several days and is even better the next day.
Made this today, turned out ok and was surprisingly light in texture, went down very well with a scoop of dairy free ice cream, thank you for the recipe. If you would like a real humdinger of a chocolate cake I have one called the “Ultimate Chocolate Cake” and it is!!!

If I'd known you were coming, I would have made one. 😙

Made this today, turned out ok and was surprisingly light in texture, went down very well with a scoop of dairy free ice cream, thank you for the recipe. If you would like a real humdinger of a chocolate cake I have one called the “Ultimate Chocolate Cake” and it is!!!

Yes please, post here maybe? :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back