The journey begins.

Mobilvetta

Set of today, feeling excited, stopping over tonight at the Wheatsheaf Inn Cannock, its free for motorhomes and you can pay if you want electric hook up, although at present it isn't working. It's only a few minutes away from the MY, a very nice pub and has a full English menu and the bonus of an Indian menu.

Got to go to Prorider Birmingham in the morning to buy a new electric cycle for my wife thanks to Adept Transport Ltd who picked it up on the 16th December in Spain and failed to deliver it back to the UK, sighting various excuses, not happy and to this day we don't know if we will ever see it again. Then we head to Portsmouth for the night catching the morning ferry Saturday morning to Santander.

Does anyone know if you can stay overnight on Brittany Ferries carpark and if so what is the earliest time you can arrive.

IMG_20190117_184020.jpg

Set of today, feeling excited, stopping over tonight at the Wheatsheaf Inn Cannock, its free for motorhomes and you can pay if you want electric hook up, although at present it isn't working. It's only a few minutes away from the MY, a very nice pub and has a full English menu and the bonus of an Indian menu.

Got to go to Prorider Birmingham in the morning to buy a new electric cycle for my wife thanks to Adept Transport Ltd who picked it up on the 16th December in Spain and failed to deliver it back to the UK, sighting various excuses, not happy and to this day we don't know if we will ever see it again. Then we head to Portsmouth for the night catching the morning ferry Saturday morning to Santander.

Does anyone know if you can stay overnight on Brittany Ferries carpark and if so what is the earliest time you can arrive.

You can stop at the ferry port after 10.00pm when the last ferry has departed. Park on the left by the yellow railings.

Enjoy your trip. I’m so pleased I don’t do jealousy,mumble,mumble,whinge.
In March look out for a 07 Adria Twin with Baca Bear ( okay,a teddy bear, just don’t tell him,he thinks he’s human), as copilot . We, the bear and I,are going around clockwise. Calais, Spain, Portugal back into France.. Have you found waiting a problem?

Was hoping to fill up with LPG down in Portsmouth, but was unsuccessful in finding any, we didn't get here to just after 6.00pm so the calor depot and the other place was closed, someone told me the shell garage on London Rd sold it, but they don't as we found out. All parked up at the ferry carpark now waiting for the ferry in the morning, the nice kind security man directed towards the outside lane near the wall and said we can overnight there,even though the sign says you are not supposed to until 22.00hrs, we went to have a look to get our bearings not expecting to stay, there are 4 other motorhomes here as well.

Managed to buy the wife a new replacement folding electric cycle from Prorider Birmingham, they had it marked up at £799, because it was a display model they sold me it for £550.00, a good reliable bikes, she had her last one since 2013 and it was still going strong, wouldn't needed to replace it if the delivery company bringing it back from Spain had delivered it, it's still missing since the pickup on the 16th December.

Oh well we are all aboard, the poor motorhome is on the open deck though, probably be covered in salt spray by the time we get to Spain. Any advice were to take it in Santander to get it washed off, apparently Brittany Ferries no longer wash them off, must be something to do with the cutbacks.

don’t worry about the lpg more widely available in spain and cheaper try fuelflash. . eu

Migh
Have a great time. We won’t be far behind you as planning on leaving on 6th Feb ?
Might see you over there, hope you have a safe pleasant journey, it's not forecast good weather this week at Santander, we was hoping to have a couple of days sightseeing. Might need to head south.

Well less than an hour and we will have arrived, the ferry was rocking a little yesterday, but very calm today, The notorious Bay if Biscay was very calm, although they tell me there is a storm brewing and it might not set sail on Tuesday because of it.

We had a great night sleep followed by a cooked breakfast in the self serving restaraunt in the morning, it closes at 10.00 am,, so only just made it, good value at £8.90 each, with cereals, fruit juice and coffee.
Don't know how they load everyone and how long it takes, they have vehicles parked in different directions. I have been told they dont wash vehicles off now so may have to find a power wash to give it a swill off. Food has been very good and prices are reasonable to say they have a captive audience.

I attached a photo of the dinner times menu to give you an idea, roast beef is on offer today. A tip for myself next time is to bring a travel kettle on board for the cabin with some tea and coffee, milk and mugs. You also need a continental adaptor, if you don't bring one on board, then go to the reception desk and they will lend you one, you have to leave a deposit though. There is free WiFi on board at certain public areas, it's quite slow though.
IMG_20190120_105109.jpgIMG_20190120_105139.jpgIMG_20190120_110043.jpgIMG_20190120_114555.jpgIMG_20190120_114543.jpgIMG_20190120_105845.jpgIMG_20190120_105833.jpg

Tha

Thank you, RoamingRog put them as POIs on my Garmin satnav for me, so hopefully will find them easy when we arrive tomorrow.

Very envious guys but I'll try later this year though it'll be my first attempt in a van did it on a bike in 2016. Enjoy and stay safe.

You say .............. Don't know how they load everyone and how long it takes, they have vehicles parked in different directions.

Did you not drive your motorhome onto the ferry ?

Looks like the two attics at the aft end of the ferry will reverse off first. I work for Stena out of Dublin to Holyhead and we do some magic loading and discharging. But , all for a reason. Good Luck.

Can I presume that they tie down the vehicles on the open deck when it is blowing a hooooowler of a gale? Mind you, even though I would love to take that crossing, I never would because my 3 four legged friends are always with us and I steadfastly refuse to ever consider putting them into one of those ferry kennels which is why I always use the Tunnel.

Probably only chock the vehicles would take too long to lash everything.

I would be seriously annoyed if after paying all that money we ended up outside especially given what the weather can throw at you in the Atlantic.

Only been outside once on the Calais to Dover route on a relatively calm day at it took ages to get the bleeding salt off the motorhome :mad:

You say .............. Don't know how they load everyone and how long it takes, they have vehicles parked in different directions.

Did you not drive your motorhome onto the ferry ?

Yes I drove it on and drove it off, it was unbelievable the ease of which they untangled everyone, I had to reverse about 50 yards and then drive straight off.

Very envious guys but I'll try later this year though it'll be my first attempt in a van did it on a bike in 2016. Enjoy and stay safe.

I completely new to this Hobby myself and so far have not found it stressful, you just follow the instructions from the ferry staff, non of the motorhomes were fasted down on the open deck and it was a bit rocky, I must admit I was nervous and kept checking that they weren't moving. But they must know what they are doing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back