The perfect motorhome tow car

Admin

Administator

I am thinking of buying a motorhome tow car later this year and I am now researching the options.

The car must be:
  • 5 door
  • As light as possible
  • Petrol
  • Have as much internal space as possible so I can use it to carry stuff to rallies
I like the way that Tezza33 has a roof box on his Panda for extra storage.

The Panda 4x4 is my current favourite but it is heavier at 1090kg it has a load capacity of 500kg

It will be towed on an A-frame and I do not intend on towing it outside the UK.

Any thoughts/advice.

I think Panda 4x4 ‘s are great

Panda WAZE 4x4 currently on offer according to the Fiat website (4x4 same price as 4x2)

So carwow etc may have some good deals if they base their discounts on this offer ??

Got a feeling the panda is at the end of the line and to be replaced with a new model

I tow a 5 door VW Up on an A frame. I think it is 939Kg and I find it a good shape for stowing things in. Not having wind down windows in the rear doors leaves a bit more space between them. I quite like driving it too, so good all round as a toad.

The Citroen c1/ Peugeot 107 make great tow cars and are deceptively spacious inside and are very reliable as they use the Toyota Yaris engine and box in fact they are just a Yaris with a few panels and badges changed.

is the panda4x4 ok to tow ? As a lot of 4x4 aren’t able to be towed as it winds the diffs up

There are a few that I have seen that are converted to tow cars. There is one on ebay at the moment that is a Cross version so it has an electronic diff lock too.

We bought a Smart car a couple of years ago to act as the work hack for my wife, and a tow behind for the MH,
We need an automatic as wife has hip trouble,and only auto you can tow is the Smart.
Just before we bought the tow frame, everyone started getting worried about the legality of them, a visit to the Caravan show to see the manufacturers of these frames, assured us they are legal on the continent, but several web sites and forums suggest otherwise,
Can you confirm Phil, if they are legal on the continent, or is it a grey area.
Thanks,
Bob.

It is a grey area on the continent because some countries still allow it but until you get stopped you never know, it is definitely not legal in Spain but I saw a few in Germany, Holland, Belgium and France earlier this year, France declared it was illegal a few years ago but they haven't actually stopped it yet, I stopped towing mine in Europe when France changed their ruling on it because it isn't worth the hassle, I want to enjoy my trip not be worried about breaking the law.

I think the Panda Cross would be a great tow car Phil, my Panda has been no trouble behind me and it doubles as a trailer as well as a car, it is useful at meets or CL/CS sites.

The only downside is you get fed up of the comments from people who wonder why you would want to tow a car :p:unsure::devilish::ROFLMAO:

The Panda seems ideal to me. Good car to drive; inexpensive; good boxy shape for maximum storage inside and roof length for rack above.

I was looking at the towing options recently and thought actually a small car trailer could have benefits over an A-Frame irrespective of the european legality question.

We had a Toyota Aygo as a local runaround for several years (basically the same car as the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107) and it was surprisingly spacious inside for passengers. Really rubbish boot space, although the back seats folded for extra storage. Petrol engine and well over 50mpg. We still had it when we got the motorhome but were never tempted to tow it.

Well I've had a Smart Car two a Toyota AYGO and now I've got a Toyota iGO, the latter being lighter than the previous 2, and seems to be easier to tow. Also for people who are thinking of towing a small car look at buying a UNIBRAKE System which meers all European Regs but Ime afraid Spain and Portugal seem to still outlaw them for whatever reason Ime not sure why ?IMG-20190713-WA0000.jpeg

Are you talking 4 wheels on the ground whilst towing? Shouldn't be a problem with 4x4 anyway, it would only be if the front wheels are stationary on the a frame

Are you talking 4 wheels on the ground whilst towing? Shouldn't be a problem with 4x4 anyway, it would only be if the front wheels are stationary on the a frame
it does depend on the type of 4WD. I've had 2 RAV4s with full-time 4WD and a Celica GT4 with full-time 4WD and none of those should be towed all wheels down (or in fact ANY wheels down - had the GT4 towed once and the rear wheels had to go on a dolly and the front lifted up.)

I am thinking of buying a motorhome tow car later this year and I am now researching the options.

The car must be:
  • 5 door
  • As light as possible
  • Petrol
  • Have as much internal space as possible so I can use it to carry stuff to rallies
I like the way that Tezza33 has a roof box on his Panda for extra storage.

The Panda 4x4 is my current favourite but it is heavier at 1090kg it has a load capacity of 500kg

It will be towed on an A-frame and I do not intend on towing it outside the UK.

Any thoughts/advice.

I hate to be a party pooper, Phil, but frankly I don't think a Panda 4x4 is up to towing a motorhome.
Especially a motorhome with 4 solar panels, a hideous number of lithium batteries, air suspension ........... etc .......... etc ..............
Perhaps something like this might be more suitable:

E7BK8Y~2.jpg

Colin ???

Last edited:
I test drove a Suzuki ignis, good on fuel and cheap on tax as long as you don't get a new one ( tax class charged )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back