There’s yet another scam going about

Sonar

You receive a telephone call the caller tells you your mobile is being disconnected today and then they hang up..
The idea is your call the last number and your find instructions on how to prevent you mobile from being disconnected.
Hence the scam starts. Press this and that ect ect

The end of the day you would have given the scammers permission to take what ever they like off of the phone..
And that’s any amount of cash.

Nae cash in my phone, the buggers are getting in everywhere, watched the documentary about Revolut fraud last night, we had used them this year for foreign currency payments.

We still use a proper telephone !!

How do you do that if away and breakdown, dont tell me you have a million yard lead from your home. 😂
I folk bought a secure ph and used there loaf then no bother.View attachment 74454
Trev, get with the times... You don't need a long cable with a PROPER phone in the car.

carphones-5.jpg

Trev, get with the times... You don't need a long cable with a PROPER phone in the car.

carphones-5.jpg
Did anyone else notice the cliff edge she is just going to drive over?

In any case you should never answer a call coming from a number not in your contacts list. If it is a genuine call from someone not in your contact list they will leave a message. If the message is "hello, it's about that car accident you had, please call us on 03495837285" then obviously you don't call them back. If they are a marketing company they will not leave a message, because in fact it was a computer calling you, not a person.
I worked in a call centre updating the computers. A Big computer in the corner of the centre was dialling sequential numbers. If any number was answered, a light would flash up at a staff's desk. She would press a button and instantly all the called person's details would appear on her computer screen, even before she had said hello this is xyz bank. It was a legitimate mainstream bank, they were canvassing for new customers offering £100 to open an account. Not asking the customer for money.
I asked the team leader how it works.
1) The computer dials a random number. If the computer detects dial tone the number goes into a spreadsheet in Column A. Number is genuine.
If you pick up, there is a 2 second silence before they speak to you. This is a second way, in addition to the fact that the caller is not on your contacts list that you can recognise an unwanted caller.
2) If the call is answered, the number goes into Column B. Number is genuine and answered. Even if it is immediately shut down with nothing said.
3) If the called person actually talks, even if it is to say go forth and multiply, the number goes in Column C
4) If the called person talks sense and sounds interested the number goes in Column D
5) If the called person actually buys something or accepts the bank's special offer the number goes in Column E

Then the bank sells the data to marketing companies, the price increasing as the number goes from A towards E.

So the way to avoid receiving marketing and scam calls is never to answer a call from a source not in your contacts list. If it's genuine they will leave a message. But don't cal back if it sounds iffy OR if your phone just rings once then cuts off. That is part of the scam, to make you call back. The number might be a premium £5 a minute or part thereof starting from ring tone start, and looking like a regular 0793....number on your display.

And dont use blue tooth on a ph as scammers grab this in tight spaces like shopping centres, then if they prob you mobile and find banking details passwords etc your goosed.

Some of the advice given is valid, but "never answer a call coming from a number not in your contacts list"? what a load of rubbish!
yes, some calls will be scam/spam calls, but it doesn't mean you have to automatically fall for the rubbish spouted. take the call and engage the brain!
Lots of phones use a database of numbers and flag up likely scam numbers when the phone rings so you can get pre-warned; if it is scam call or just a marketing call that you don't want again, flag the number as scam and the phone rejects the call next time automatically. Use the technology you have to managed the calls, not a knee-jerk "never answer the phone"!

Out of interest, for those who still have landlines, there is a handy telephone system here - https://amzn.to/4eMD7u6
It is described as a "BT Advanced Cordless Landline House Phone with 100 Percent Nuisance Call Blocker" system. I was skeptical on the "100%" bit for sure, but I was fed up with getting scam calls every day so I thought if it improved things, it was worth it. (dumping the landline was not an option).
Since we have had that phone system (which is since December 2022) we have not had a SINGLE scam call. It is incredibly effective.

My local GP surgery takes details of your request for an appointment (when you eventually get through). The GP will ring you later in the day to offer an appointment or hold a telephone consultation. This call comes from an unknown or private number. Same with hospital calls.
If you don't answer you lose your opportunity and you have to start the whole process again the next day.

Davy

My local GP surgery takes details of your request for an appointment (when you eventually get through). The GP will ring you later in the day to offer an appointment or hold a telephone consultation. This call comes from an unknown or private number. Same with hospital calls.
If you don't answer you lose your opportunity and you have to start the whole process again the next day.

Davy
Agree 100%. Recently had a text message from GP surgery regarding a phone consultation. Did say it might come from an unknown or private number. I've had one that was private/unknown, which luckily I answered, the other came in as Doctors Surgery.

Our landline is protected by 'Call Guardian' that blocks unwanted calls.

Don't know quite how it works, but NHS calls have a subtly different ring tone and we instinctively know to pick up.

One other thing you can do regarding the calling back and ending up calling a premium £5 a minute line .... Most contracts for mobile phones allow you to set a maximum cost per month for any charges outside of the contract. If you set this to a very low value (sometimes setting to £0.00 can mean unlimited charges allowed!), then you will be unable to get ripped off by accidentally making these calls.
Of course, doing this is really only appropriate if you have general calls & texts included in the contract price and they are the only calls you make. If you use the phone to enter competitions or call premium adult lines then you might need to set a much higher budget :)

Back