Thinking about solar panel tilting ....

Had my panels up vertical today so right angle to the sun ran the batteries down to 80% then put the panels up was getting 14.5amps not bad for a cold sunny January day was well pleased
There you go! It is worth the effort if you are going away in the winter IMO.... If you go to the trouble of fitting a Solar setup, you may as well try and get the max out of the panel, I realize this is not an option for some!

Someone on the other site once posted about using double glazing window hinges which seemed a very good idea, strong, rustproof, and designed to fit to a panel but I have never tried it myself.

Richard

Someone on the other site once posted about using double glazing window hinges which seemed a very good idea, strong, rustproof, and designed to fit to a panel but I have never tried it myself.

Richard
Hi Richard I don’t think double glazing hinges would be strong enough mate .

Can't argue with that thinking wildebus! And what we need to consider is that the current panels available are designed solely for
mounting rigid flat on the roof... to successfully strengthen them you have a few choices..1. strengthen the existing PV frame internally (as I did) 2. fit the panel in a hinging frame. 3. screw the full panel to a hinged plate. It is a lot of hassle, it depends on what your usage expectations are!
Has anyone considered adding a wind turbine to their set up? I'm asking this due to seeing a video recently..it seems the power output of the Chinese RV/Boat wind turbines has increased since I last looked a few years ago... Watch here.

View attachment 41791

That's 15A charging at 14V DC at 15 MPH!

My point is this, what output would you achieve at 50 MPH?

View attachment 41793
m home 2wm[1].jpg
I don't think that 50MPH is possible, to much drag, it also wont fit under any bridges, so you are limited to your local area only, you might even sink the ferry if you got that far. You might also be a tag overweight.;)

Last edited:
Other options.

I like this one, solar tracking, but difficult to watch Satellite TV at the same time.

View attachment 41839

Roof Tilting

Side Mounting

I have got a top box on my MH and thinking of fitting 1 small panel on the south side of that, mainly for when parked up at home, especially for the winter, as I have trees and houses partly blocking the sun. So a bit higher & angled could help a lot.

Richard
Sounds like a solid idea that Richard! That's a real 'outside the box' solution, certainly worth thinking about!

If you sit in one place for weeks at a time then tilting might be worth it but too much trouble for just a few days.
The hinges in the OP look nice but I suspect that if a pin is removed from 3 hinges, you will never get them back in

It's a thought though might be OK for a smaller pannel or multiple hinges on a bigger window, but you would be limited to flat or facing one way only: I think.
If you are going to put a large panel on a swivel you going to have to do some serious engineering to stop it from ripping your roof apart in the wind. Plus you will have to constantly track the sun to make it worth while. Why not just park facing south so you will be spot on for peak production time.

Richard

That’s all I am going to do Richard park the side of my van pointing south and let it get on with it .

If you are going to put a large panel on a swivel you going to have to do some serious engineering to stop it from ripping your roof apart in the wind. Plus you will have to constantly track the sun to make it worth while. Why not just park facing south so you will be spot on for peak production time.

Richard
At home I can't park facing South, I can only park facing East or West and obstruction in the way. I have resolved that issue today, I bough a house that has a parking bay facing South. Not sure that was the cheapest option though.;)

If you are going to put a large panel on a swivel you going to have to do some serious engineering to stop it from ripping your roof apart in the wind. Plus you will have to constantly track the sun to make it worth while. Why not just park facing south so you will be spot on for peak production time.Richard

I could mount it on a frame that is attached to the 2 Fiamma Roof Bars, I have 2 more spare bars if I wanted to double up, I wouldn't go for anything two big because of the wind. I have at least 4 thoughts on reducing wind effect, less Baked Beans and no Brussel Sprouts being 2. The panel would be made by myself, using sticky back plastic and old serial boxes, buying solar cells, the tracking system and base mount. Sorry I remember Blue Peter and Thunderbirds. And I really want something like those trees bending sideways like Thunderbird 2, / MH 2, pulling off my drive. :D:D:D Did I say I am buying a House with a south facing drive, so I can put it on hold for the moment. Oh darn .;):(:(:(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back