Thinking about solar panel tilting ....

TBH Exwindsurfer, I would go with Alloy box section with a coupler of holes to angle the panel for the diff seasons, and a ratchet strap of course!
hi I am getting box section stainless steel for the winter strut as they need to be about 1400mm in long and ive got two ajustable walking sticks for summer but i am still going to by the gas struts so its easy to lift up and wont crash back down if i slip.

i take it havent read Phil and Raes shoot out at hereford hairydog?I think you will find its more than double .

not if the roof has no more room for twice as many panels, which is often the case for people thinking of tilting panels (as otherwise they would probably already have chucked up more panels)
Given that angling a panel only doubles the output at best, why not just install twice as many panels flat on the roof? No hassles, better result.
Can't argue with that thinking wildebus! And what we need to consider is that the current panels available are designed solely for
mounting rigid flat on the roof... to successfully strengthen them you have a few choices..1. strengthen the existing PV frame internally (as I did) 2. fit the panel in a hinging frame. 3. screw the full panel to a hinged plate. It is a lot of hassle, it depends on what your usage expectations are!
Has anyone considered adding a wind turbine to their set up? I'm asking this due to seeing a video recently..it seems the power output of the Chinese RV/Boat wind turbines has increased since I last looked a few years ago... Watch here.

w turb.JPG

That's 15A charging at 14V DC at 15 MPH!

My point is this, what output would you achieve at 50 MPH?

m home 2wm.jpg

I still don’t see how you can get a tilting system at minimal cost without having roof access. Not seen anything yet that would be useful to me except folding panels like Jim uses.

Keep going though folks as it may come :)

Given that angling a panel only doubles the output at best, why not just install twice as many panels flat on the roof? No hassles, better result.

No offence , but I think you maybe missing the point. I’m thinking this is as much an engineering exercise as a practical one. Just my two pen’orth.

No offence , but I think you maybe missing the point. I’m thinking this is as much an engineering exercise as a practical one. Just my two pen’orth.
None taken, I was replying to the OP about my experience with the problem....

not if the roof has no more room for twice as many panels, which is often the case for people thinking of tilting panels (as otherwise they would probably already have chucked up more panels)
That's a valid point, but anyone who does have the space would be better going for the extra panels, or reining in their power consumption.

Had my panels up vertical today so right angle to the sun ran the batteries down to 80% then put the panels up was getting 14.5amps not bad for a cold sunny January day was well pleased

Batteries tend to be heavy beasts. A lot of motorhomes are already pushing their weight limits.
that is true. A reasonable 100Ah battery is around 25Kg. I suppose a lot of MHs are likely OVER their weight limit in fact it seems

Other options.

I like this one, solar tracking, but difficult to watch Satellite TV at the same time.

1548037758236.png

Roof Tilting

Side Mounting

I have got a top box on my MH and thinking of fitting 1 small panel on the south side of that, mainly for when parked up at home, especially for the winter, as I have trees and houses partly blocking the sun. So a bit higher & angled could help a lot.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back