Thinking of fitting a SOG

snapster

Anybody have one? Are they worth having?
I did a search on the forums but didn’t come up with any posts on SOG’s
I am considering fitting one to our cassette. We would need the Type F.
Recently went to an aire run by a German couple. Their black waste drain was a septic tank, so no chemicals allowed. The other vans that were there were German and all had SOG systems fitted, probably as standard.
One thing that worried me was the likelihood of smells being pumped out, but didn’t notice and whiffs around the vans.
So, can anyone recommend one or anyone have any bad things to say about them to help me make my mind up one way or another?

We have one and it works well. Make sure there is enough clearance between the cassette end and the door to take the fan mechanism, it can be an issue.

I fiited thetfords own fan automatic ventilation system

Better than a SOG for me as you dont need to make a hole in the cassette spout and have to remember to plug it up when you remove cassette from camper

Also as i have 3 cassettes i dont need the modifications on each one

I’ve got one which I use chemical free when I know I’m going somewhere that doesn’t allow chemicals, I’ve got 2 cassettes. Neither of them need any mods as they’re already vented. I try not to park near anybody anyway so I’ve no idea about pongs.

We rarely use campsites and spend most of our time in France where we live. Not really bothered about using chemicals as long as they work, and the aire with a septic tank is the only one we have come across in years of travelling. A couple of weeks ago at an aire on the Med, we did walk past an RV with a SOG system emptying his black tank and the smell from 100 metres away was horrendous.
I just wondered why the Germans were so keen on them and do they all stink so much when emptied?

I have one, doesn’t have any mods on the cassette itself, if you use some bio washing tabs in them they don’t really smell in fact grey water smells worse to me. I can honestly say that in 4 years of motorhoming here and and on the continent I have never been bothered by obnoxious smells from other mohos.

Please rethink. Either that or I’ll have to make sure I don’t park down wind from you.

I have one, it certainly makes being in the bathroom a better experience as all the smell is vented outside, if you change the filter regularly as you are supposed to then there should be no smells outside either, I still use a bio tab in mine though because you still have to empty it.
If I bought a new van would I fit another one?, yes certainly

I have had an SOG for the last 6 years. Use green fluid in the cassette, change the carbon filter every two years, and never had any problems or noticeable smells. Far better than the static system we had when we had caravans. I have never encountered any of the reported nightmare scenarios where people are parked next to units with SOG toilets that make life intolerable, and I am not known to be slow to comment. I have increasingly found that blue is not acceptable in the Netherlands and Germany. I again find it incomprehensible that people are willing to spend tens of thousands of pounds on a motorhome, and then stress about the the cost of toilet maintenance.

If you use the van a lot very worthwhile, otherwise you'll not recoup the cost.
As mentioned earlier so long as they are maintained as it should be, they make the use of the loo in the van almost smell free, also when maintained properly, the outside of the van as well, however also as mentioned previously the content when emptying is ripe to say the least.
As to chemicals and septique systems, aggressive chemicals destroy the bacteria that allow them to work, which is why a lot of German sites ban chemical use, of course many don't bother and use them anyway probably because they don't have to suffer the consequence of their actions.
Personally I would recommend their fitment and use.

We use the van a lot, we have had it almost 5 months and have done just on 7000 miles now. There are just the two of us, we only use the van toilet and we tend to empty the cassette every two or three days.
I think maybe Forthpilots idea sounds good, I don’t mind emptying the cassette however bad it is but maybe a little green fluid would take the edge off it!
I’ve used the green fluid in the cassette before when I needed to empty out at our last house, complete with a proper cesspit, and it didn’t affect its workings.
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your knowledge and ideas.

Parked next to one in Portugal hoping to stay overnight, we were obviously on the wrong side, thankfully the next stopover was only a few kliks away. I'm sure that many folks see advantages in these blessed systems, but you still have to get rid of the poo eventually so why share it with us poor plebeians who don't really enjoy the smell of our own, let alone anyone else organic by products, or am I missing something??

Still find we use a little bio liquid with ours and like normal you want it emptied by the 3rd day if not already full.

I’m my opinion it’s an absolute must have.
We’ve had a van with and without but would always have one now.
It stands to reason that when you open the hatch the smells fill the bathroom because it’s a sealed unit without a SOG.
With a SOG there is none of that.
I can assure you that it’s not a problem on the outside with smells either.
Thanks Mark

We don’t normally get a smell from the toilet when we open the flap other than the Elsan smell, but I am keen to stop using chemicals hence the enquiry about SOG systems.
Your post is very useful Mark ( as are all the others). We have noticed it being a bit whiffy when we use other fluids and as you say, a SOG would stop that.
I would love to fit a dry toilet as we are fitting at home soon, but I think it’s just a step too far for me in our new van.

I’m sure you won’t regret it.
It’s the best add-on we did on ours
Good luck

I had a SOG fitted to my then new Pilote motorhome in 2016. I specified the roof vented system which avoids the need for a charcoal filter and the attendant replacement costs. The Pilote is fitted with a Dometic toilet and therefore the cassette comes SOG ready which means no drilling though spout caps etc. We find the SOG system works superbly unless the toilet tank is pretty full although we try to avoid that scenario if at all possible. In view of that, there is generally no detectable smell inside the van and, given the roof venting, we have not noticed any smells on the outside of the van either. Emptying is a little more unpleasant than before but not exceptionally so as we find modern chemicals are far less effective in masking smells than they used to be. This is the first SOG system I have had and I would definitely fit one to my next van. Before fitting the SOG, my wife couldn't understand why anyone would want to fit one of these units but now she would put this pretty much at the top of the list.

We had a Winnebago Brave a couple of years ago, the previous owner told us he didn’t use any chemicals in the toilet as it had some sort of ventilation system and was vented through the roof.
Unfortunately, if we didn’t empty the 40 gallon !!) tank every four or five days, the smell left the vent pipe and entered the kitchen area via the roof vent next to it if the wind was blowing in the right direction.
Took us a while to figure out where and who the smell was coming from because when you used the toilet, it smelt fine.
Obviously not a SOG system and no charcoal or other filter in the roof vent.
I guess this was playing on my mind when I considered a SOG system for our new Burstner van.

Hi.
We had a sog fitted to our van 9 years ago, no problems just remember to change the filter on regular basis, we don't use the sog filter, charcoal cooker hood does the job equely well and at £5-00 a time, depending on the thickness I find that if I put 3 layers together job done.
We go away for 3 months at a time and change the filter before we go, I also use a drop of bio washing liquid in the cassette, I have a delicate nose when emptying and I like it to smell like a perfumed parlour.
Have no regrets as we have recouped the cost many times over, not having to buy the over priced crap distrust or green or blue.
Heres wishing you many hours of pleasant perfumed throne sitting.??
Regards
Ken?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back