This can't be right. Can it?

I share a small old boat with Dutch friends.
We put an additive in when we fill with Diesel for the last time each season, it stops any growth of bacteria in the fuel.
You should be able to get it easily from any marine chandelier or online.
Amazon has it.
Good luck.
I remember using a primus stove under a Land Rover to warm it up in the cold 62/63 winter as the fuel was waxy. Don't try it on a modern vehicle!

The cold weather was a blessing or else you could have ended up running water through the high pressure system and ruining the pump.
So the original water in fuel warning was bang on.
Good catch and top Mark's to AA for a proper repair.
I have to say that choosing AA or RAC does have the advantage that they will spend time repairing rather than just telling you that it's broken and asking g you where you want to go.
One time with a cheapy operation the guy only had a jack and no spanners so all he could do was change a wheel!
Fortunately there was someone in the pub car park where i pulled i with a few spanners to borrow so we were able to tighten up a loose caliper.
I agree that the AA certainly offer value for money in cases like this.
I've had my fill of additional breakdown cover from insurance companies in the past and have fallen foul of recovery being subbed out to the cheapest operator.

It is possible to get a special filter funnel, again from boat chandlers designed to remove th bacteria so that you can reuse the diesel without clogging up your fuel filter and more importantly the injectors.
Worthwhile if you have several litres of fuel.
Pass the fuel through several times AND add a bacteriacide. The filter removes most of the bacteria but does not stop regrowth from any residue inches tank.
Do change your fuel filter and check any water trap or filter in the fuel line.

Will you drain the tank and start afresh with new fuel and additive?

Davy
AA fella drained most of it down then sent me off to the fuel station for full fillup. Recommended that I should drain the separator/filter again and any residual should just be evaporated through the system.
Then change both the fuel filters... i think there is a little one inline one somewhere along the fuel line nearer the tank?

It is possible to get a special filter funnel, again from boat chandlers designed to remove th bacteria so that you can reuse the diesel without clogging up your fuel filter and more importantly the injectors.
Pass the fuel through several times AND add a bacteriacide. The filter removes most of the bacteria but does not stop regrowth from any residue inches tank.
Sorry for the late reply, been up to my neck in home schooling 😤

I'll take a look but not relishing the thought of pumping 70 odd litres of fuel through a filter funnel unless I really have to!
Having said that, in the picture above, was plenty of the black stuff and I've only recently spent a fortune on injectors!

Wynns seem to do a biocide for diesel fuel... https://www.wynns.uk.com/product/fuel-biocide/

They also do a dispersant ....https://www.wynns.eu/product/dry-fuel/

I'm thinking add the biocide then keep draining the separator/filter until all clear then new filters.

Sound sensible?

I used to sell them, called Mr Funnel, buy the biggest one as they take time to run fuel throughMr Funnel..png

I used to sell them, called Mr Funnel, buy the biggest one as they take time to run fuel through
Are they good? if i take the fuel line off the separator and stick it in the funnel and then run the fuel pump... Could that work or would it be too high pressure?
Could pump the tank out using the fuel pump I suppose into cans and then run it through the Mr funnel gadget I suppose. :unsure:

The bug grows on the interface between the water and the diesel. The water settles at the bottom of the tank so if you are pumping or siphoning the tank make sure to get the stuff from the bottom first. Getting rid of the water is important because the bugs need it. The boating world has a lot of experience with bug, this link may help.

The article suggests that bio fuels may not be helping.

Are they good? if i take the fuel line off the separator and stick it in the funnel and then run the fuel pump... Could that work or would it be too high pressure?
Could pump the tank out using the fuel pump I suppose into cans and then run it through the Mr funnel gadget I suppose. :unsure:
Yes they work well I have one bought years ago in Australia , some of the fuel when dropped in drums could be a bit iffy :)

20210120_142922.jpg

Both arrived today and put in the tank. Fingers crossed then!

Plenty of biocide so I can keep adding it for a while.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back