Thule awnong storm tie down kit - help please

GMJ

I have a Thule awning and a tie down kit however I have lost one of the pieces of it: it's the part that actually goes into the awning leg in order to attach the strap.

I have contacted Thule who simply advised that they don't do spare parts and I would prefer not to buy a whole new kit.

I was wondering if any of you folks had a broken/incomplete kit that is gathering dust, that you would be willing to butcher for me? There's a virtual beer (or even a real one if we ever meet up) in it for you
beer.gif

Pics of the piece below: it's the bit on the black strap...

Thanks

NB I really need to proof read before posting
hehe.gif
: Phil could you please change my howling spelling error in the thread title?
spelling.gif
IMG_2950.JPGIMG_2951.JPG

That looks like a part someone clever with metal could knock up.....It is disgraceful that Thule don't do parts! Hope you get a fix.

Yes I thought so too on both accounts!

Their reply was as perfunctory as it could be as well. No empathy, no suggestions and no wasted words!

I thought about knocking one up myself if I can find a small bit of malleable steel to use. It is the part that attaches to the legs so it would need to be steel (or something strong) rather than aluminium for strength plus it would need to be measured carefully as it goes through a small aperture.

I have the same tie down straps, those clips are stainless steel. You might find a cheap s/h set on fleabay.

There is a set on fleabay at the moment at £8.0

That looks like a part someone clever with metal could knock up.....It is disgraceful that Thule don't do parts! Hope you get a fix.
So easily made parts they,d never sell any if they made them most people would say How Much thats a rip off I can make those easily

I have the same tie down straps, those clips are stainless steel. You might find a cheap s/h set on fleabay.

There is a set on fleabay at the moment at £8.0

Could you please send the link to it? I cant find it.

ta

Thanks

Its on for bids with 5 days to go and also 3.20 postage too!

Have you tried searching for small engineering companies in your area? That's what I did when I needed something for a yacht and chanced on a small engineering company whose owner was a boater - proved invaluable for all sorts of things over the years and prepared to do things at a sensible price because of mutual interest.

Reactions: GMJ
Have you tried searching for small engineering companies in your area? That's what I did when I needed something for a yacht and chanced on a small engineering company whose owner was a boater - proved invaluable for all sorts of things over the years and prepared to do things at a sensible price because of mutual interest.
It's a good idea but as I am trying to do this on the cheap/free I suspect that it would be cost prohibitive. I could get a new complete kit off Fleabay for anything from the 11 quid to 20 quid range I suspect.

Thanks

I'm just messaging them now.

Hi I use a chap in Morecambe for my stainless steel bits, not expensive its Apollo Engineering. He is just in the process of converting an old land rover military ambulance, new chassis up with modifications it's a real deal job.

My Thule awning uses pendant flag shapes which slide into the 8mm channel. A 50mm piece of 8mm Kador strip would be an alternative anchor with a metal s hook. I’d give you a piece to try but cannot see your name on any if the meets.

No, alas we haven't signed up for any meets. It's something I need to work on with my wife who is wary of them.

Also at this time of year I'd be worried as our MH is 5t and does not perform well on (wet) grass.

Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated. It would be great if you could post a photo as it could be something I could look at.

It’s part of a tie down kit supplied by windblockers.net as their product prevents use of the Thule system.
74881131-2BBB-4FA9-97E2-0821B8FB22D4.jpeg

Thanks. Neat bit of kit.

With the newer Thule awning legs there is a hole for the piece I have lost to pass through, so the storm tie down kit could be used with our older lilypad blue screens.

I have had a root in my garage, through all the 'stuff' I never throw away and I reckon I have found 3 or 4 bits of metal which I could form to make a new piece. I think I'll have a go tomorrow morning and see if it works.

Failing that a very nice member over on wildies, has offered to make me one.

wish me luck :)

No, alas we haven't signed up for any meets. It's something I need to work on with my wife who is wary of them.

Also at this time of year I'd be worried as our MH is 5t and does not perform well on (wet) grass.

Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated. It would be great if you could post a photo as it could be something I could look at.
Don't be wary, we were the same but once we'd decided to give it a go we had a very warm welcome and found it a great way to meet like minded people and there's usually a lot of people to help if you do get stuck ;). So go on give it a try (y). I'm signed up for all of them this year :D

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back