Thule/Omnistore Awning 5002

RoaminRog

The gearbox on my wind out awning has finally given up the ghost. I have ordered a new gearbox and it arrived this afternoon. If anybody is interested the Part Number is Thule 1500601221.
I have read a thread about fitting it on MHF and the instructions are quite clear and logical but before I start, (and while I’m waiting for the rain to stop) I wondered if anyone on here has any pointers or problems to watch out for?

And make sure it’s fully wound out with all the tension off the canopy, oh, and choose a still day it’s hard work when the canopy keeps flapping around and you are needing three pairs of hands............

And make sure it’s fully wound out with all the tension off the canopy, oh, and choose a still day it’s hard work when the canopy keeps flapping around and you are needing three pairs of hands............
I understand that with an Omnistore Awning it’s perfectly possible to release the awning away from the recess and zip tie the awning closed, so that it doesn’t start to unravel when the gearbox is removed. The end cap simply prises off... apparently.
I probably will still need two pairs of hands though.

I've just done exactly that on mine (same model). New gearbox cost €66 from Germany. Fully wind the awning out, as if you don't when you take the gearbox off it comes out anyway while you're holding the end. Not good. The plastic end cap is held by one screw on the bottom, then carefully prise it back and up - it's very brittle so go slow and don't force it.

Once the gearbox is off, what I did to hold the awning free end while fiddling was throw a cord over the roof (before starting) and down the other side of the van tied to something. Make a loop on the end near the free end of the awning to hold it up while you're working on the gearbox when it's off. Possible to DIY then, but another person would be easier. Gearbox mounts to the end cap. Make sure you get the end cap screws into the body of the awning in the right spot. It's easy to think you have, but they're off by just a bit.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back