To Italy at Easter (Monday)

cronkle

Free Member

To Italy at Easter (Monday)

We'll be leaving the Calais area on Easter Monday morning to start a slow amble down to the Italian Lakes. We will be taking the Switzerland route and intend to spend a few days doing so. Likely to be going through Belgium (to test the suspension, you understand) and Luxembourg. I have a couple of stops in mind but would like to hear what others suggest and why.

Ideas welcome!

Last edited:
cronkle;n16175 said:
We'll be leaving the Calais area on Easter Monday morning to start a slow amble down to the Italian Lakes. We will be taking the Switzerland route and intend to spend a few days doing so. Likely to be going through Belgium (to test the suspension, you understand) and Luxembourg. I have a couple of stops in mind but would like to hear what others suggest and why.

Ideas welcome!

Hi Cronkle. We went via Calais and through Belgium to Cologne earlier this year then followed the Rhein (with detours up and down the Moselle) to the Rhein Falls. Then on up the Rhein into the High Alps. We dipped into Italy and then back to Switzerland etc.
There are plenty of places to overnight and I'd recommend the appropriate Aires books from Vicarious if you haven't got them.
Camper Contact is also very useful. The Aires at Easter should be fairly empty.
Easter is early in 2018 so bear in mind that many of the passes will be closed. You're probably already aware that there are tunnels available under the High Alps but they are relatively expensive.
Switzerland makes a transit charge for heavy vehicles and also charge for motorways so do check the mass of your Moho before going. Charges are assessed by the mass stated in the V5 document at larger border crossings and can be paid in advance online if you prefer. Do make sure that you do this on the official website to avoid paying an exorbitant surcharge!
I guess that you're already familiar with the Crit d'Air sticker system for some French regions and/or cities?

Colin ???

Thanks. One of my stops may well be Trier. It's a while since we have been there but we did like the ancient buildings and the riverside. We would use the aire and walk into the town.

Another stop may well be alongside Lake Lucerne but looking for fresh fields rather than 'returns'.

cronkle;n16216 said:
Thanks. One of my stops may well be Trier. It's a while since we have been there but we did like the ancient buildings and the riverside. We would use the aire and walk into the town.

Another stop may well be alongside Lake Lucerne but looking for fresh fields rather than 'returns'.

I'm not sure of your likely route, Cronkle, but we especially liked Cologne, Colmar and Strasbourg. My feeling is that Heidelberg is over rated - but lots of visitors love it. The Alsace is lovely but may still be brown at Easter.
Enjoy your adventure!

Colin ???

*****;n16217 said:
Hi, Konstance (Constance) is a nice place and does have a rather expensive car park type aire, but it is quite handy.
We went into Switzerland from Konstance and there was the best ACSI site we have ever been on just along the south lake shore a few miles. Sorry I can't remember the name. ACSI in Switzerland is rather expensive as taxes and refuge bag charges are extra.
Maybe a little detour to the Bavaria area, lots of interesting places there.
We did not find Switzerland very camper van friendly, we have been twice and won't be returning, but the inland lakes and mountains are pretty!
Incidentally, we have followed the river Main, Necker and the Donna canal and all were worth the tour.
Have great time!

Been there a couple of times ourselves and to the German side of Konstance but that was a while ago. I find Switzerland makes me feel overlooked - houses and buildings halfway up the mountainsides.

Full Member;n16218 said:
I'm not sure of your likely route, Cronkle, but we especially liked Cologne, Colmar and Strasbourg. My feeling is that Heidelberg is over rated - but lots of visitors love it. The Alsace is lovely but may still be brown at Easter.
Enjoy your adventure!

Colin ???

Thanks Colin, Cologne is a bit off the planned route but have you any recommendations of 'must sees' in Strasbourg and Colmar?

cronkle;n16220 said:
Thanks Colin, Cologne is a bit off the planned route but have you any recommendations of 'must sees' in Strasbourg and Colmar?

Not really, Cronkle. We used the DK France guide and simply wandered as the mood took us. There's lots to delight the eye whilst wandering and, especially in Strasbourg, lots of culture.
Cologne is worth bearing in mind for another trip. The Cathedral and Romano museum are a must and the chocolate museum for those so inclined!

Colin ???

*****;n16221 said:
Mike, if you are going via Colmar, Brisach which is just down the road has a good Stelplats and is an interesting small town with a castle. Also Frieberg!
Brisach is directly on route from Colmar to the Swiss border!

Excellent. Just the sort of information I'm after.

*****;n16221 said:
Mike, if you are going via Colmar, Brisach which is just down the road has a good Stelplats and is an interesting small town with a castle. Also Frieberg!
Brisach is directly on route from Colmar to the Swiss border!

Graham's post reminded me of Neuf-Brisach. The town is mostly inside a well preserved 'star' fort and worth seeing. The town itself was fairly plain. as I recall.

Colin ???

Small world, Graham! I had absolutely no idea about the source of Wrigleys - I assumed they were based in the UK.
I'm hoping I remembered correctly which Brisach has the star fort.

Colin ???

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back