Toaster recommendations please

andyjanet

Hi all, we are looking for an electric toaster for in the van,
We have a grill which toasts bread in about 7 hrs so janet has herd for breakfast and mines ready for lunch!
Then I started toasting bread in a non stick frying pan which is slightly better!
The new truck will have ample batteries to run a toaster and kettle so thought I would ask for recommendations , this will hopefully save us some gas as we are off to countries that don’t sell lpg cheers andy

I suspect you have an inverter so a standard electric (240V) toaster should be good.
There are smallish 12V kettles would should do the other job.
With both items you will not be running them for any time so battery depletion not a problem.
Just be aware the 12V kettles draw maybe 10 amps so care with where you plug it in

Andy, we purchased the cheapest available from Lidl’s 7/8 years ago, perhaps a fiver at most. It’s not fancy, only does 2 slices, but it works. If it fails we’ve had a lot of use out of it.

Andy, we purchased the cheapest available from Lidl’s 7/8 years ago, perhaps a fiver at most. It’s not fancy, only does 2 slices, but it works. If it fails we’ve had a lot of use out of it.
Same here, toaster and kettle from Argos, cheapest they had.neither is 12 volt though.

Helen

No Lpg..Where
Maybe Finland but you cam do Real fires and Real BBQs
Sweden has LPG but sparse Norway OK with care
Maybe a dutch oven as well to use on your own campfire
Sweden was great for that.
Maybe Morocco again campfires Turkey (No chicken there ?)

Where are you going (without wishing to be TOO nosey ?)

Finland is looming for three months starting February 2020, so need to sort cooking as 100 ltr tank won’t do three months cooking and heating in the winter
We leave uk in October, into Germany then Czech for Xmas, Poland Lithuania Latvia estonia then into Finland to be at Nordkapp Norway for midnight sun then down thru Norway Denmark Germany, to return uk October 2020
I know Finland doesn’t have lpg and I already have a kelly kettle and fire pit but it’s going to be bloody cold lighting a fire for a brew in the morning

Whatever you do don't buy one advertised as a low wattage caravan toaster. They don't come any lower in wattage than the cheapest Argos ones but will be twice the price.

If we get desperate near the top of Finland we can always drive into pitea in Sweden to get some gas but the pump needed renewing and was a pita to use last November

I use a Tesco cheapie. The only problem with the cheapies is that a Warburtons slice pokes out of the top. You can either flip it up the other way halfway through or put up with white ends.
Actually, the one I use at home was a much more expensive one and Warburtons won't fit in that either.

As said already. We have a cheapo toaster and a 1/2 litre travel kettle which I think is 600w and works well. Never had a problem yet with inverter toast from 270Ah of batteries and 230w of solar and 1800w inverter.

Cheers

H

Finland is looming for three months starting February 2020, so need to sort cooking as 100 ltr tank won’t do three months cooking and heating in the winter
We leave uk in October, into Germany then Czech for Xmas, Poland Lithuania Latvia estonia then into Finland to be at Nordkapp Norway for midnight sun then down thru Norway Denmark Germany, to return uk October 2020
I know Finland doesn’t have lpg and I already have a kelly kettle and fire pit but it’s going to be bloody cold lighting a fire for a brew in the morning
For boiling kettles you could use a small camping stove running off the disposable cylinders which are probably available in Finland, a bit expensive but a good fill in if your low on gas.

We have a 2 slice 800w toaster very basic but it works great on the inverter. The plus is you tend to have toast in the morning so the solar has time to replenish the batteries during the day.

For boiling kettles you could use a small camping stove running off the disposable cylinders which are probably available in Finland, a bit expensive but a good fill in if your low on gas.
I carry a small Coleman one along with my trusty Trangia 25 which runs of methylated spirits, it's been all over Europe when we go on the bike and never had a problem getting fuel although it goes by many different names in other countries.

Regards,
Del

We have a low wattage 240v toaster in our MH - a Sunn Camp MA1000. I can recommend it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SunnCamp-Low-Watt-Toaster-White/dp/B003982094

Graham
smile.gif

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back