Toilet tap removal.

runnach

I’ve checked YouTube, couldn’t find any clips on this type of tap removal, any members worked on this type?
IMG_5654.jpeg

I’ve checked YouTube, couldn’t find any clips on this type of tap removal, any members worked on this type?
View attachment 71921

When you say tap removal are you talking about taking the whole tap unit out? If so then as far as I recall it's held in place by a horse-shoe shaped washer type thing which has a turned stud bolt with a nut which secures the "washer. You need a deep socket (10mm?) and a long extension bar. You also need a double jointed neck and arms and a wife who doesn't mind a constant flow of appalling swear words!
I have broad shoulders and could not lie on my back in the cupboard so had to lie sideways on one arm. A one armed midget might do it better!
Hope this helps!

When you say tap removal are you talking about taking the whole tap unit out? If so then as far as I recall it's held in place by a horse-shoe shaped washer type thing which has a turned stud bolt with a nut which secures the "washer. You need a deep socket (10mm?) and a long extension bar. You also need a double jointed neck and arms and a wife who doesn't mind a constant flow of appalling swear words!
I have broad shoulders and could not lie on my back in the cupboard so had to lie sideways on one arm. A one armed midget might do it better!
Hope this helps!
Jesus, you just described me, have we met before 😂😂😂😂

Right, I’m a tad baffled with is setup, I have removed the tails for hot and cold, see red and black insulating tape, the other blue pipe attached to the flexible shower type hose both go into the tap. I have attached pic of underside of sink, I’ll need to have a tool made up, and as marshman has stated, it is a mare to get at.

Below the now removed tails you can see where it T’s off for the shower, I’m going to see if I can blank the hose where I have removed H & C tails. I’ll use shower to fill sink when required. I think the cartridge within tap body maybe knackered?

Oh the joys!!

IMG_5658.jpegIMG_5657.jpegIMG_5656.jpegIMG_5655.jpeg

Similar to my shower tap Terry you need a deep 10 or 11mm socket then it is much like a domestic one, with a central bolt and C shaped clamp.

Mine leaked from an O ring in the tap body, the pushing and pulling of the shower hose caused the problem, the intention was to have a separate shower and basin tap to stop it happening again.

I was lucky with ours as it has a swing wall, and once that was out of the way I could take the whole plastic corner panel out and invert it once I had split the tails, it did rip the paper off the walls of course as some clown had sealed it with bathroom sealant to the wall, making it into a massive redecorating job, I had to use car paint to make the wall waterproof again, it looks untouched now as I got a good match to the ripped off paper, sorry no pictures of it but yours looks to be a normal corner basin.

Last edited:
Think this could be your tap Terry. It seems it isn’t held by a crescent shaped clamp under the sink but is a big hexagon nut. Can’t see how the gubbins can be accessed from the top.

Cheers

H

It looks to be the right one, but you would struggle to put a nut on it due to the wires and pipes, shame it doesn't show more detail.

Cheers for this Winks, this is the tap, and held in place as you described. And I now see why there is the shower type feature, which is never used, nor will it. Some price though!! Although maybe I can fix when I get home, I don’t have the tools here.

I’ve just finished blanking off the pipes and will fill water tank tomorrow and see if all is well?

Kitchen sink tap at Folkestone, toilet tap here in France, Jackery Solar Panel failed, that is now three, surely nowt else can happen 🤷‍♂️

Just a thought Terry. Is there a small grub screw hiding behind that hole where the lever came off. These cartridges can usually be changed fro the top.

Just remembered, I changed a frost damaged cartridge on our old Hymer but the screw to get the top skirt off was under a red/blue insert on the top. The cartridge was a standard thing and was about £10.

Cheers

H

Just a thought Terry. Is there a small grub screw hiding behind that hole where the lever came off. These cartridges can usually be changed fro the top.

Just remembered, I changed a frost damaged cartridge on our old Hymer but the screw to get the top skirt off was under a red/blue insert on the top. The cartridge was a standard thing and was about £10.

Cheers

H
Yes, I viewed a YT clip where access was gained by removing grub screw, I don’t see a grub screw around the area you mention, I’ll look again tomorrow……cheers 👍

So you can't pull the cap up after removing the lever? I'm pretty sure that many kitchen mixers come apart like that.

Cheers

H

So you can't pull the cap up after removing the lever? I'm pretty sure that many kitchen mixers come apart like that.

Cheers

H
Cap seems really sturdy and well fixed in place after lever removal, I didn’t want to try too hard in case I broke it. I’ll see how I get on with blanking off as I described earlier before trying to remove cap using more vigour.

Found this online ....may help?

Found this online ....may help?
I’ll have another look at it tomorrow. Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated 🍻

I read through posts within link from Marshman, see below my msg 👍 the issue I am having is the water leaking from underside of sink, not topside around the swivel areas. Good info though, something for me to work with tomorrow 👍

If anyone is following this post I have finally managed to dismantle the tap.
After removing the handle the silver cap pulled off revealling a plastic fitting underneath which is held onto the cartridge by an ordinary screw. This fitting pulled off the cartridge lever but be careful as it has a micro switch attached. The rest was easy.
However I still have a leak so as previously mentioned it is probably a perished O-ring so some further investigation is needed but at least I now know how to get the damn thing apart.

As I have already said they can come out of the tap, there is like a roll pin holding them in but it's only into plastic so can work lose when pulling the shower tube in and out this allows the brass tap insert connected to the hose to pull out, the O ring may still be okay, mine were, it's not leaked since, it could be an easy but awkward to get at fix.

Too small Rog it looks to be about 35-40mm maybe bigger, it's made to do normal sink/bath tap nuts.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back