Tom Tom is lost

Mohofun

My Tom Tom ( motorhome version ) seems to have given up. Whats everyone recommend? Not a map please. Thanks

My Tom Tom ( motorhome version ) seems to have given up. Whats everyone recommend? Not a map please. Thanks
I spent ages trying to resuscitate my TomTom 1005, earlier in the year we drove all over eastern Europe and it never skipped a beat then on our return I updated the maps and URGH it became so so flaky. It turned out to be a TomTom issue where my installed map had grown too large to fit in the 1005's 8Gb.
If this sounds like yours let me know and I'll let you know the fix .. it is tedious!

You are one of many (myself included), if you can get the unit to connect to your computer, you can get the option of loading smaller maps, which will work OK.
You can also utilise an sdhc card to load the latest full map on to.

It is fixable but you need to use you computer and the TOMTOM software MY DRIVE CONNECT to change the map from the FULL map to a SMALLER “ZONE” map

Towards the end of page 1 of thread below and continued onto page 2:-

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/d...-1005-keeps-turning-off-freezing-rebooting/p1

The key bit is here and posted by johnst:-

OK
I will tell you how I have succeeded:
- hold the start button until drum sound is heard.
- wait 10 to 20 seconds
- press the start button again to switch off
- briefly press the start button again
repeat until the device starts normally

When the device has started:
- connect the device directly to the computer
- download a smaller part of the map (not as usual the entire map)

Connection to the PC is only possible if the device has been started normally.

Also discussed here with a slightly different method of touching screen

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1629541/#Comment_1629541

I had an email from Tomtom about it needing an update, mine is a very old model now & haven't used it in ages. Tend to just buy a cheap eBay 7" bus/lorry sat nav that uses Nozatech software, costs under £40 & easy to get map updates off a unofficial Facebook support group. Works fast with lots more options than my old Tomtom had. I have come to believe that many of these more expensive devices have deliberate built in obsolescence. More cost effective to buy something much cheaper then just throw it away after a couple of years.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back