Tomtom question.

Mr and Mrs Tupcox

Our new to us motorhome 2017 has a Tom Tom built in to the radio head set.
How do we update as its getting lost.lol

You probably don't want to hear this: it will possibly cost you £150 to get an update!
And then another £150 every time afterwards that you want an update.

Sorry that I can't be more specific but that is what I found with both TTs in my cars (update via main delears).

Gordon

Ours has a much older built in Tomtom which is updated by removing an sd card then updating via a pc. Last time I did it it was on offer around £30. A bonus whilst the card is out is that the WC pois can be installed on it.

I really must support the views of the previous posts.

I've owned Tomtom devices for yonks, currently own a device with free lifetime updates, and have sadly watched their free updates become more clunky and their customer support become ever more laughable.

I'm IT savvy, but the most recent update simply refuses to install into my device. It downloads to my PC, the device confirms it is connected to my PC, and then the system hangs. I spent an evening trying everything I could think of, which is unusual as I am not normally a patient man.

Frankly, I now own a brick, and it is the last TomTom I will buy. I understand that a magazine that reviews stuff now recommends Garmin and I am not surprised.

I've owned Tomtom devices for yonks, currently own a device with free lifetime updates, and have sadly watched their free updates become more clunky and their customer support become ever more laughable.

I'm IT savvy, but the most recent update simply refuses to install into my device. It downloads to my PC, the device confirms it is connected to my PC, and then the system hangs. I spent an evening trying everything I could think of, which is unusual as I am not normally a patient man.

Frankly, I now own a brick, and it is the last TomTom I will buy. I understand that a magazine that reviews stuff now recommends Garmin and I am not surprised.
'Do you prefer one long leg and one short? Or one short leg and one long?' :rolleyes: Garmin is an anagram of Margin, and that is about where the choice sits. The number of times it tells me to turn, say,left when a signpost opposite says right; and then the Satnav remains silent, and there is no 'Recalculating' [route] message. Or, even worse, I turn left as instructed and 2 seconds later get the 'Make a U Turn when possible' every 5 seconds.

Steve

Our built in 2017 Tom Tom is hopeless tbh so I have never updated it. I use a the Garmin Camper 760 which does the job admirably.

I use a Garmin Camper 770 (now a 780) in preference to the very poor built-in satnav in a Ducato, and find it very good. Lifetime updates of both mapping and operating program.
Wouldn’t entertain anything else, now.
I too was a TomTom fan - once!

We been using a snooper for years great little satnav but just thought it would nice use the fitted one .Tom Tom.
But looks from comments there rubbish.

Just to say we had this problem with out TomTom, then tried updating it over wifi which worked like a dream!

I Use tomtom app on my phone/tablet everyday for work ....

£19.99 a year including updates/live traffic ...

its saved me hours of being sat in traffic over the years ....

truck/large vehicle version is also now available on the app BUT expensive at £100 a year (cant see how they justify it BUT hey ho i dont buy it )

Built in ones and stand alone units always seem to end up having problems updating etc eventually ...

Adding to my original reply, I have a stand-alone TT with free updates. No problem with that aspect AND I like TT intuition. HOWEVER, the TT devices built into my cars haven't been updated because they are expensive: ANNOYING!

Gordon
Same here, plus the 'dedicated', small capacity SIM Card for the updates and the clunky process for updates that are heralded by N number of Forum messages 'Anyone else having difficulty with the latest upgrade?' and descriptions of 2 hour waits, only for the download to fail in the final furlong!

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back