Total solar satisfaction

TrevandJenny

Without the expertise of the help given by many members on Motothomer.com I don’t think that I would have such a successful solar system.
Today is day 12 after fitting the suggested Victron 75-15 controller paired to a 120 watt panel charging two 100amp AGM batteries.
We are at present off grid in a Camping in the Forest site. Ok it’s been sunny however the Victron is charging so much better than the Sargent 328 system.
Thank you one and all for your advice during this project.

You need to add one more panel, 100w/100ah, as you have two id double up, nothing like a bit of solar. (y)
Hi Trev

I recall your prior advice ref panels, the way Autosleeper fitted the roof furniture makes adding a further panel awkward.
I did consider leaving the original 80w and adding the 120, it entailed moving other items, to much hassle at my age.
Thanks for your advice though

It can be tricky getting the solar you want on a motorhome roof with all the various vents and skylights positioned deliberately by the makers to make it as difficult as possible :)
I fitted a pair of 100W panels to Gordons van last week. On the face of it, it should have been possible to fit a fair bit bigger panels, but they just don't make them in the shape that would have worked :(

Hi Trev

I recall your prior advice ref panels, the way Autosleeper fitted the roof furniture makes adding a further panel awkward.
I did consider leaving the original 80w and adding the 120, it entailed moving other items, to much hassle at my age.
Thanks for your advice though
You could get a 50w panel and place it in the front screen when parked up, all you require is a cigy socket wired to the regulator, this will give a boost, im thinking of doing so as i have a spare small panel.

You could get a 50w panel and place it in the front screen when parked up, all you require is a cigy socket wired to the regulator, this will give a boost, im thinking of doing so as i have a spare small panel. I never fancied carrying around a portable panel
I never fancied carrying around a portable panel, At present the 120 is working well with our limited current use, bit of telly and a couple of phone chargers, strangely we need some cloudier days to see how the Victron handles.
Time will tell, a good option though, thank you.

Last edited:
Our roof is terrible 8.6 mtrs long van , only got 4 x100 w panels on it but they keep us going.

Just had 3 weeks on road, fridge working of inverter all day and gas at night.using air fryer and other things
Lithium lowest reading 68 %..
But b2b blasted loads in on driving .but we only drove a total of 345 miles over 3 moves.

You could get a 50w panel and place it in the front screen when parked up, all you require is a cigy socket wired to the regulator, this will give a boost, im thinking of doing so as i have a spare small panel.
Liked that canny way you avoided saying WINDSCREEN.

Bet you lick the salt off peanuts too.

Our roof is terrible 8.6 mtrs long van , only got 4 x100 w panels on it but they keep us going.

Just had 3 weeks on road, fridge working of inverter all day and gas at night.using air fryer and other things
Lithium lowest reading 68 %..
But b2b blasted loads in on driving .but we only drove a total of 345 miles over 3 moves.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back