Touring Ireland 2024 - suggestions please

Wrighpm

Hi,
We live near Glasgow and are thinking of taking the moho to Ireland. Possibly for 3 weeks. I like to start planning things a year in advance so looking for advice on a range of topics:
Where to go?
Are motorhomers generally welcome?
Facilities on offer?
Legality of wild camping?
Crossings?
Is it expensive?

Basically any information would be very well received as we are starting from a blank sheet as far as NI and Eire are concerned. Thanks, Peter

When you say Ireland i take it you meen down south or are you landing in N ireland.
If so and you want to wild then there is no problem if you stay up north in both countries.
Glenarm harbour has a big spot for vans and open castle grounds with a cafe just across the road.
If you head up to portrush then a carpark for vans is behind the fire station.
If it were me id head over to Donegal where there is lots of places to wild and see.
Glenveigh nat park you will love and get a trip to the big house/castle on a small bus from the cafe/centre.
Kennigo bay over the hills on the coast will be fab for a qt overnight.
Famine village is a must do, dont mis this one.
Also Oakfield park well worth a viz.
On round you have Doe castle and carpark, no prob overnighting there.
On up and around the coast see the old radio station and most northern part, parking dificult but possable there.
On round there is a waterfall walk on the way to buncranna, then dunree fort which is well worth a viz.
There is so much to see so hope you have time, oh dont forget Donegall town, there is a van parking place at the harbour, do go see the old castle which has had a makeover, lots of shops for the girls, town is small so walking is no problem.
Make sure you have a good time which is more important. google.pngdoe castle 1.pngat the bay.pngcastle-10.jpgcastle-8.jpgd lew 2.jpgerrigal mtn.jpgfamin village a.pngdunree a.png

When you say Ireland i take it you meen down south or are you landing in N ireland.
If so and you want to wild then there is no problem if you stay up north in both countries.
Glenarm harbour has a big spot for vans and open castle grounds with a cafe just across the road.
If you head up to portrush then a carpark for vans is behind the fire station.
If it were me id head over to Donegal where there is lots of places to wild and see.
Glenveigh nat park you will love and get a trip to the big house/castle on a small bus from the cafe/centre.
Kennigo bay over the hills on the coast will be fab for a qt overnight.
Famine village is a must do, dont mis this one.
Also Oakfield park well worth a viz.
On round you have Doe castle and carpark, no prob overnighting there.
On up and around the coast see the old radio station and most northern part, parking dificult but possable there.
On round there is a waterfall walk on the way to buncranna, then dunree fort which is well worth a viz.
There is so much to see so hope you have time, oh dont forget Donegall town, there is a van parking place at the harbour, do go see the old castle which has had a makeover, lots of shops for the girls, town is small so walking is no problem.
Make sure you have a good time which is more important. View attachment 68679View attachment 68683View attachment 68684View attachment 68686View attachment 68688View attachment 68689View attachment 68690View attachment 68692View attachment 68693

Wow thank you so much for this excellent response Trevskoda !! We hope to have 3 weeks, maybe Cairn Ryan crossing but early days in the info gathering. You seem very knowledgeable and when I get to the specifics I may haver further questions for you. Meantime thanks again ! Peter

I also would like to go to Ireland. However I only have a space of 4 weeks so the ferry cost would imply that you need to go for at least 5 or 6 weeks. The country is about as big as England and Wales. I had started the planning by buying a road atlas at a charity shop. I was going to collect a new-to-me moho on Friday this week. However when I got home there was an email from the dealer saying the deal is off because the one I want to buy has serious water ingress and engine problems. On the one hand you have to admire their honesty, but a teeny bit of me wonders if he has realised he has offered me a deal that is too good on my part exchange and he wants to get out of it. I'll quiz him tomorrow. Come to that, they have a 3 year water ingress warranty and as the dealer I want to get it from is a franchised Chausson dealer, they should be able to fix it under the warranty. After all a 2022 motorhome has to be repaired, unless it has run under a low bridge and then chucked over a cliff by the Italian Mafia bulldozer. Trouble is, that although the one I want is a mainstream make - Chausson - the model seems to be a bit of a rare beast and no one else has one in stock.
Personally I would want to allow 5 weeks to do justice to a £600 ferry fee and a country the size of Ireland.

Thanks for all that information Trevskoda. We are heading over there for 2 weeks in October. Have previously done most of the Wild Atlantic Way years ago but what you have suggested sounds great. We are going Holyhead-Dublin as I got that all paid for with Tesco points then heading up North straight away from there. I will plan your suggestions into our route

Reactions: 2cv
Thanks for all that information Trevskoda. We are heading over there for 2 weeks in October. Have previously done most of the Wild Atlantic Way years ago but what you have suggested sounds great. We are going Holyhead-Dublin as I got that all paid for with Tesco points then heading up North straight away from there. I will plan your suggestions into our route
If going that way do viz the boyne vally on the way up, newgrange springs to mind & melephont abbey, or go to Galway/connamara and the 10 pins mountains, hard to get parking in Galway mind you, Donegal is best by miles, weather is the big problem here, bring a summer umberella LOL.dmb.jpgdtb.jpgdtc.jpgmap.jpgnewgrange a.pngnewgrange b.pngScreenshot-2017-12-9 pictures of newgrange visitors centre - Saferbrowser Yahoo Image Search R...png

We’re contemplating going over there in a year or three so appreciate the input from an incumbent native @trevskoda

I will have to google to see if pooches travel without all the vetinary prattling about required for France etc!

Hiya..

We've just got back from a round trip of Ireland.

Fortunately for us, we arrived there during a heatwave and the place was tropical..

Unfortunately for us, their school holidays started around mid June and the roads became crammed in places with cars and coaches.

We wild camped everywhere except for one night on Achill Island when we stayed at a motorhome stop with cold showers.

There are usually gorgeous places to wild camp, once you get to looking though.

Southern Ireland is hard to find places to put your rubbish. Not many street bins and they all have just a small round hole to put any bags in.
Northern Ireland is exactly as we're used to.
Water isn't a problem..we filled up from taps or even shower points at beaches and also taps on the outside of toilet blocks all around the island.
I'm not sure on places that have elsan points as we have a separating toilet and don't need them.

If you need to take Ibuprofen, then in Southern Ireland, you can't get them from any of the supermarkets..only a chemist, so best take your own with you.

One big thing if you're driving a vehicle that's over 2 metres tall is that some places are simply inaccessible due to height barriers.
These we found along the East coast, some of the South coast and even along the Wild Atlantic Way at some of the sights we were aiming to see.. We would have to park elsewhere and walk to the viewpoint.
Talking to locals, these barriers have come in more since lockdowns happened. It's a shame. I can see their reasons behind them, but it doesn't help the people who are there to follow the Wild Atlantic Way.

I'm sure we'll go again at some point as it's a beautiful country, but it will be outside of the Summer holidays and we'll have a little more knowledge.

You'll be astounded by the castles, abbeys and old stone forts that you can access for free, walk and even climb around..amazing history.

The people are friendly, the Guinness is good and if you happen upon a bar with music, it makes the evening a whole lot better.
Oh and the diesel is bloomin cheap too..loads cheaper than their petrol.

I hope that gives you some insight.

Phil

We’re contemplating going over there in a year or three so appreciate the input from an incumbent native @trevskoda

I will have to google to see if pooches travel without all the vetinary prattling about required for France etc!
We just travelled with our cat and the AHC was required for sailing into Southern Ireland, although the certificate wasn't even looked at by the port authorities at Holyhead.
When we sailed back from Dublin to Holyhead, it was in the early hours and again we didn't have to show the certificate.

I'm not sure on the requirements crossing into Northern Ireland on the ferry.

Hope that helps a little..

Phil

Hiya..

We've just got back from a round trip of Ireland.

Fortunately for us, we arrived there during a heatwave and the place was tropical..

Unfortunately for us, their school holidays started around mid June and the roads became crammed in places with cars and coaches.

We wild camped everywhere except for one night on Achill Island when we stayed at a motorhome stop with cold showers.

There are usually gorgeous places to wild camp, once you get to looking though.

Southern Ireland is hard to find places to put your rubbish. Not many street bins and they all have just a small round hole to put any bags in.
Northern Ireland is exactly as we're used to.
Water isn't a problem..we filled up from taps or even shower points at beaches and also taps on the outside of toilet blocks all around the island.
I'm not sure on places that have elsan points as we have a separating toilet and don't need them.

If you need to take Ibuprofen, then in Southern Ireland, you can't get them from any of the supermarkets..only a chemist, so best take your own with you.

One big thing if you're driving a vehicle that's over 2 metres tall is that some places are simply inaccessible due to height barriers.
These we found along the East coast, some of the South coast and even along the Wild Atlantic Way at some of the sights we were aiming to see.. We would have to park elsewhere and walk to the viewpoint.
Talking to locals, these barriers have come in more since lockdowns happened. It's a shame. I can see their reasons behind them, but it doesn't help the people who are there to follow the Wild Atlantic Way.

I'm sure we'll go again at some point as it's a beautiful country, but it will be outside of the Summer holidays and we'll have a little more knowledge.

You'll be astounded by the castles, abbeys and old stone forts that you can access for free, walk and even climb around..amazing history.

The people are friendly, the Guinness is good and if you happen upon a bar with music, it makes the evening a whole lot better.
Oh and the diesel is bloomin cheap too..loads cheaper than their petrol.

I hope that gives you some insight.

Phil
Many thanks for taking time to compile the above information Phil.

May and june is the best for weather here, school hols are july/aug in the north, but it will not be a problem as less cars on the roads, late aug is good but midgies and wasps come out to play, alot of atractions close in september except pubs, do bring wet weather clothes as it does rain a lot.
This year we have seen lots of english reg vans in the north, both in N Ireland and over in Donegal, fuel costs less in Ireland, N Ireland is the same as england but try to buy in Go stations which can be as much as 10p a LTR cheaper, if shoping in north use Spar garages/shops as much better food by far.
The price of the ferry from magilligan point to Greencastle has shot up to about £20, so allow taking longer its best to go over the foil bridge before derry city and drive up the coast in southern ireland, do have a meal in the cosy cottage moville, parking on the main road is not a problem.
Do go and see crianan of achail between derry and way down to letterkenny just of the main road.cafe.pngcarinan donegal.pngcrainan donegal.png

Here's our 30 night trip in 2018

Fine on my cheap and cheerful Android too. 😊

Anyone comming for two weeks do stay up north, it would take 4/6 weeks to go round the rest and still mis some, dont do the so called places the tourest board or adverts say, you will be ripped of, giants causway centre springs to mind.
Over in the republic they dont push and most places you have to find by yourself or get pointers from clampets like me, i have deep pockets and short arms and go to the free or well worth a few bob places, the butterfly garden/tropical world in letterkenny is a place to go, and a day up round Rathmullan where there is a church ruin and a army gun/camp from the nepolion times, nice street food stalls at the harbour c park which will take vans no problem. a f r 17 d.jpgbutterfly c.pngtucan names.pngtucan.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back