Touring Ireland 2024 - suggestions please

Hi,
We live near Glasgow and are thinking of taking the moho to Ireland. Possibly for 3 weeks. I like to start planning things a year in advance so looking for advice on a range of topics:
Where to go?
Are motorhomers generally welcome?
Facilities on offer?
Legality of wild camping?
Crossings?
Is it expensive?

Basically any information would be very well received as we are starting from a blank sheet as far as NI and Eire are concerned. Thanks, Peter
Just returned from there this week, unfortunately for us, it was pretty much a wash out, weatherwise! We did have 2 or 3 decent days thankfully.

I would definitely recommend doing the Wild Atlantic Way, from South to North, some stunning scenery and would also recommend Achil Island with some great wild camping.

Blarney Castle was stunning, although be prepared to queue if you want to kiss the stone, we did!

Giants Causeway is another must, we were all very surprised there and it was even more impressive than I had expected. A tip here would be to go around 6pm after the centre has closed if you just want to see the Causeway, as it's free and less busy.

We took our dog and had to get the Animal Health Certificate, although as mentioned earlier, it wasn't checked in the ferry from Hollyhead to Dublin or Larne to Stranraer. Ireland is really unfriendly for dogs and although we did manage to find some places that would accommodate us, the majority wouldn't, it really was overwhelming that way, I was quite surprised. They're not allowed on any public transport either.

We found that Park for the Night app was really useful for finding parking, especially in the Cities, it also has a lot of the wild spots on there too.

Do try the Guinness, ii it's so much better than what we get over here!

Enjoy your trip.

Also dogs must be on a leash up north, and yes many places and transport wont let them in/on for both health risk and infestation<fleas etc>
But many shops and cafes have drinking bowls outside for the dog, and some places have a dog walking patch so they can do the biz.
Yes the black stuff is better in Ireland,me i dont like it but to each there own, hope you seen most of the good places which are of the wild atlantic way, donegal town is good for a nose bag and shopping for the girls, the old castle is now open again after lockdown.
Sorry about the rain, i will have a word. ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back