Tow bar bike carrier

Here’s another thumbs up for Michael Parkinson. Several years back he fabricated and fit a tow bar to my coachbuilt Hymer - great job.

I got one of these. They hinge open and you can then open both rear doors.
You can get them to carry different weights of bikes, mine takes 2 electric bikes
Made in Holland, the recommended retailer quoted over £1400 supply and fit, but michael Parkinson’s from Kirkham lancs did it all incl electrics for £1000
very satisfied and can recommendView attachment 58830View attachment 58831View attachment 58832

Your van looks fabulous. My German is pitiful, but I think your Hobby Vantana 65 is 6.36m the same as my Fiat Ducato. I've checked out the Van Star bike carrier website, and its seems to say it should not be used on a van over 6m. For the life of me I can't understand why.

Am I misunderstanding something? Did Michael Parkinson have any issues, please?

Your van looks fabulous. My German is pitiful, but I think your Hobby Vantana 65 is 6.36m the same as my Fiat Ducato. I've checked out the Van Star bike carrier website, and its seems to say it should not be used on a van over 6m. For the life of me I can't understand why.

Am I misunderstanding something? Did Michael Parkinson have any issues, please?

Thanks HurricaneSmith
yes my van is 6.36m, and Memo supply a bike carrier specifically for Ducatis this length. I had a long chat with the Memo people at the NEC show and found out that they make different models of Vanstar for different van lengths.

If you tell Michael P what length your van is he will be able to order you the correct one. He ordered mine for me, and he had it fitted in a morning. he didn’t say he had any problems, so assume a straightforward job

I just tried to check on the Memo website, and like you I couldn’t find the information about different models for different lengths. this information is critical Because the wrong model will not fit! I suggest you phone or email Memo direct

btw it looks and feels like a seriously solid piece of kit, really gives me confidence, compared to cheaper flimsier bike racks I have used in the past. just watch your payload and the weight on the rear axle

Michael Parkinson contact details motorhometowbars@gmail.com, 07887997653

Thank you for such comprehensive reply Ron.

The additional info you've provided is far more helpful than the manufacturer's Kent website, or their downloadable PDF installation manual.

I do note your good advice regarding payload and axle weights.

Again, you've a lovely van. 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back