Tow Bar Extension

TheTwoms

Free Member

Decided to fit tow bar to our Carthago Chic C Line I (2016 A Class) which has an Alko chassis. Some fitters require info from Vin Plates and are also including an extension requirement with Coach Bolts through rear garage chequered floor. Has anyone had similar experience or have we chosen the wrong Tow Bar/Fitter. Any advice or experiences would be helpful.

Decided to fit tow bar to our Carthago Chic C Line I (2016 A Class) which has an Alko chassis. Some fitters require info from Vin Plates and are also including an extension requirement with Coach Bolts through rear garage chequered floor. Has anyone had similar experience or have we chosen the wrong Tow Bar/Fitter. Any advice or experiences would be helpful.
I'd be inclined to speak to Alko themselves if possible as they are the chassis manufacturer....
I'd also check with your insurance company that they are happy with what you fit.

As if anything goes wrong in respect of you towing something THEY will be the ones picking up the pieces...

The days of garages knocking up tow bars out of bits of angle iron and tubing are thankfully long gone...

FWIW, I too would be inclined to speak with Alko as they know what their design limitations are. However, if the vehicle is "type approved", AFAICT you must fit a towbar that is type-approved for that vehicle and can't modify it to a configuration for which the type approval is not valid. Again AFAICT, commercial vehicles started to be type approved in 2010, so type-approval limitations might apply to your moho and might be why the fitters need the chassis number etc.

Give wully a pm he had a bar fitted to his deffleths and may be able to assist as I'm sure his is an alko chassis
as far as I'm concerned drilling in the manner you've stated don't sound correct to me through the garage floor ?

The garage floor would have a load limit. the body of the vehicle sits on the chassis and is not part of the support structure of the vehicle. I would be very very careful with adding additional stress to the body shell of the vehicle. my own Adria has an extended tow bar connected only at the chassis of the vehicle. I am pretty sure that attaching the tow bar through the garage floor would put unacceptable stress to the joints of the shell throughout the vehicle. Contact the motorhome manufacturer not just Alko, and get a response in writing..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back